Car Alarm LED

I didn't notice during the test drive, but does the Mazda 3 have a blinking red LED for the car alarm? If so, where is it located?

On the Mazda3, its not a LED but rather a light (like the check engine light, but in red - the symbol is of a car with a key inside it). Located on the stack where the speedometer is also housed, this light flashes for a brief moment every 2 seconds.

wongpres said:
On the Mazda3, its not a LED but rather a light (like the check engine light, but in red - the symbol is of a car with a key inside it). Located on the stack where the speedometer is also housed, this light flashes for a brief moment every 2 seconds.

ok i have that thing blinking all the time

but i dont have an alarm
well i dont think i do

how do i tell if i do have one?

Jpasta said:
ok i have that thing blinking all the time

but i dont have an alarm
well i dont think i do

how do i tell if i do have one?
Actually, I should have rephrased my original answer a bit. The blinking light is for the immobilizer (not the alarm). And all N. American-spec Mazda3 have immobilizers standard - thus all N. American-spec vehicles will have this light blinking. The alarm (only available on Canadian GT trims), does not have an indicator.

wongpres said:
Actually, I should have rephrased my original answer a bit. The blinking light is for the immobilizer (not the alarm). And all N. American-spec Mazda3 have immobilizers standard - thus all N. American-spec vehicles will have this light blinking. The alarm (only available on Canadian GT trims), does not have an indicator.

what, so no american 3s can be thwacked particularly viciously by a tipsy butterfly and wake up the neighborhood?

*raises eyes to mazda sign*

Thank you... *tear*

wongpres said:

ok what is the immobilizer do?

Jpasta said:
ok what is the immobilizer do?
The key has a chip inside it (that's why the black plastic portion of the key is so large & thick). Everytime you start the car, a signal is bounced off the key to ensure it's a valid key. This makes it very difficult (if not impossible) to hot-wire a car.

This is also why you can't just go to a local keyshop and make yourself an additional key - this key would work for the locks and trunk but won't start the car.

PeteyBoy3K said:
what, so no american 3s can be thwacked particularly viciously by a tipsy butterfly and wake up the neighborhood?

*raises eyes to mazda sign*

Thank you... *tear*

Hehe...

I think the alarm system doesn't include a shock sensor... just an open-door/trunk/hood sensor. In theory, some badass butterfly could bust yer windows and fly away with all your s***... as long as it didn't open yer door.

wongpres said:

I would tend to disagree with this statement about the alarm only being on teh canadian spec. This is somewhat of a crpapy story but anyways I was at the local track and we had all parked in the same area since it was our local clubs sponsored event at the track. It was an open day so we went and watched the drag cars until the we could get out there with the street class and during that time we all heard an alamr going off we didnt think anythign of it. Later we all get back to our cars and mine had been moved, turns out some stupid redneck hillbilly pieces of s*** jacked up my car and had moved it and it was my horn/alarm going off earlier. So Iknow we have more than an immobilizer here in the US.

- Phil Rogers

bvmazda3 said:
Hehe...

I think the alarm system doesn't include a shock sensor... just an open-door/trunk/hood sensor. In theory, some badass butterfly could bust yer windows and fly away with all your s***... as long as it didn't open yer door.

moral of the story: don't leave anything in view in the car to tempt badass butterflies

Crzyone01 said:
I would tend to disagree with this statement about the alarm only being on teh canadian spec. This is somewhat of a crpapy story but anyways I was at the local track and we had all parked in the same area since it was our local clubs sponsored event at the track. It was an open day so we went and watched the drag cars until the we could get out there with the street class and during that time we all heard an alamr going off we didnt think anythign of it. Later we all get back to our cars and mine had been moved, turns out some stupid redneck hillbilly pieces of s*** jacked up my car and had moved it and it was my horn/alarm going off earlier. So Iknow we have more than an immobilizer here in the US.

- Phil Rogers
US-spec Mazda3 do not come with an alarm from the factory (I'm 100% sure on that). The alarm's pretty basic anyways - just door/trunk/hood sensors (no shock sensor). So it wouldn't go off if someone jacked up the car and moved it (which further proves my points that it's a basic alarm).

One more thing about the alarm (though it probably doesn't apply in this case), the keyfob's panic button makes the identical sound that the Canadian-spec alarm does - so any car with keyless can make that alarm sound.

Edit: Actually, I forgot something - I believe the US brochure mentions a shock sensor as a dealer-installed accessory. I actually don't know much about it (places like mazdastuff don't even list it, so it may be a typo in the brochure), and it's definitely unavailable in Canada. There's a possiblity you have that - but that is definitely different from the factory-installed alarm available in Canada.

Last edited:
Hmmm that is possibility it is a dealer option that was installed but I know I didnt pay for it, but whatever it was there is some sort of shock sensor on my car so I can't complain :).

Attachments

• Screenshot - 11_4_2007 , 6_10_36 PM.png
    Screenshot - 11_4_2007 , 6_10_36 PM.png
    13 KB · Views: 150
Do You know if the immobilizer light is blinking also when engie is on?

It shouldn't be. It'll flash every 2 seconds or so when the car is off. If you put a non-programmed key into the ignition then it will blink super fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongpres View Post
US-spec Mazda3 do not come with an alarm from the factory (I'm 100% sure on that).
Then what do you make of this?

(source: www.mazdausa.com)

What I make of that is the immobilizer system is a "Theft Deterrent".

I thought you might say that... But the "Theft-Deterrent System" is
A. Only listed in for the GT trim car
B. Listed under the heading "Sport model features plus:"

[edit]
IMG_4350.png

Oh, the left column is the Sport, right is the Grand Touring.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Well that says the "Engine-immobilizer antitheft system" is standard, and the security system is N/A. Antitheft is still "theft-deterrent".

Just like they advertise the stereo's as Mp3 compatible when they're talking about the 3.5mm input in the console.

Oops, I realize now that the columns aren't labeled. The left is the Sport, right is the Grand Touring.

So the security system is N/A for the Sport only, but standard on the GT.

I hate that this is turning into "yes it does"/"no it doesn't" but I've been able to show 2 written examples where Mazda says the (US) GT has a security system (in addition to the Immobilizer).
Also, looking briefly at the brochure and the mazdausa website; it doesn't appear that there is an alarm upgrade or option available.

Crzyone01's car must have started beeping and honking for some reason.

Oops, I realize now that the columns aren't labeled. The left is the Sport, right is the Grand Touring.

So the security system is N/A for the Sport only, but standard on the GT.

I hate that this is turning into "yes it does"/"no it doesn't" but I've been able to show 2 written examples where Mazda says the (US) GT has a security system (in addition to the Immobilizer).
Also, looking briefly at the brochure and the mazdausa website; it doesn't appear that there is an alarm upgrade or option available.

Crzyone01's car must have started beeping and honking for some reason.

I think we're arguing the same side here. First off your reply to the "US spec cars don't have alarm systems" comment was replying to a three year old post. You're comparing the 2004 model to the 2007 MS3 specs. Not quite the same are they?

Second I'm not arguing that they all come with, or without, alarm systems. I'm saying that all NA 3's have the immobilizer system, that it has a light that blinks when the car is off, and that this system is considered a "theft deterrent". All GT models should be coming with alarm systems, even if basic alarms.

Back