2nd Gen RX-7 Solo I-II

xelderx

Zoom Zoom Boom X 3
I'm working out a deal within the next few days to finally get my hands on 2nd Gen RX-7 GXL. I believe it's an 88. The motor is blown and the PCM is fried, but I have a local hookup on parts. This will hopefully be my new Auto-X/track car as I will not be insuring it.

If anyone has any good info about turning a 2nd Gen into a good Solo I-II car I would love to hear some input. I want to do things in the right order and not get sidetracked with pointless modifications that I'll be replacing later. I want this car to be done right the first time and I'm not up to speed much on the RX-7 aftermarket in regards to track racing.

I know the motor will need to be rebuilt. Should I go F/I or stay N/A, streetport or bridgeport.

This is the GXL so I have the LSD and 5 lug hubs/upgraded brakes already. The first concen will be what to do with the motor and what computer to use to control it...or go carburator. I don't want to get started down a path that isn't going to pay off in the end.

Thanks in advance

RX-73.jpg

Last edited:
FI Turbo II engine!! Easy swap AND you can get a good cheap TII engine from Chris @ SPD Racing.
PM him: FC3s Boy. Rebuilding the n/a engine would be more expensive than the TII engine.

^what she said

but remember if you do the TII swap you will be put into very tough classes for competition

Yeah! Buy a Turbo II engine from an S4 from FC3s Boy. =) Great prices for a long block! Mine should be here soon for my Turbo II. ;) I've got a few spare parts from my old engine, too, if you need anything. I'm gonna get rid of the turbo and manifold, as well as the intercooler and most of the piping for it, if you're interested.

Awesome guys...I did see where Chris had some motors and that will probably be the route I take. I'll also be talking to AWR since they built a pretty hot 2ng Gen convertible. Thanks for the link on the DTSS eliminators. I had seen them before, but forgot where. This car will be strictly race so putting me in a more competitive class is not a big deal. Anything that isn't needed will be stripped and I already plan on this being in some modified class.

yea the rear steer elim. are one of the first things you should get , i run the tokico's illuma's with eibach springs, mazda motors strut tower bars and engine and tranny mounts and it really stiffened up the chassis, the n/a motors are fun and they last longer and are cheaper as well, you should check into the rules for turbo motor swaps it might put you in a higher catagory. Tony over AWR is the man with fc's real cool guy

FC3s Boy said:
yea the rear steer elim. are one of the first things you should get , i run the tokico's illuma's with eibach springs, mazda motors strut tower bars and engine and tranny mounts and it really stiffened up the chassis, the n/a motors are fun and they last longer and are cheaper as well, you should check into the rules for turbo motor swaps it might put you in a higher catagory. Tony over AWR is the man with fc's real cool guy
Do you still have some motors there Chris?

^^ i just got my shippment in and are comp testing them right now, thanks chris
760-787-5759

Speaking of which, Chris, did you ever find one for me? Hehee. Martel Racing got the old engine out, and I was wondering if you wanted the core, by any chance? I'm trying to make back a chunk of change to pay off the loan and get the car repainted. *nods*

flat_black said:
Speaking of which, Chris, did you ever find one for me? Hehee. Martel Racing got the old engine out, and I was wondering if you wanted the core, by any chance? I'm trying to make back a chunk of change to pay off the loan and get the car repainted. *nods*
I should have all my motors tested today and you are first on the list , i don't need the core you might be better off just selling it (the old motor)-chris

Back