Trailer Hitch?

Rich V

:
'99 Miata/'03 M6/ '04 M3-5door
I need to add a trailer hitch to my M3-5 door. Does anybody know of a source for one?

I've been looking but haven't found one yet. If you're in a hurry, you'll have to get a custom-made one.

That's about what I've found too- there's nothing available yet. Time to fire up the MIG I guess.

Rich V said:
That's about what I've found too- there's nothing available yet. Time to fire up the MIG I guess.

That's one option.

Personally, I'd rather have somebody else do it that will give me a warranty.

True, a warranty would be nice, but not as much fun. Maybe I'll just wait?

Rich V said:
True, a warranty would be nice, but not as much fun. Maybe I'll just wait?

Sure. If you're not in a hurry.

Maybe contact the big manufacturers and see if they're working on something. Maybe they need a test-fit vehicle.

SONICJET said:
M3 manual says that u cannt tow anything with it. and they against it with all 4 hands so u decide (thumb)

That has nothing to do with vehicle capabilities. As wongpres says, it's only about liability and frickin' sue-happy N. Americans.

I wonder if we could get the Australian part number and order it from a local dealer...

Hmmm... might be time to call in some "favours".

Last edited:
I am interested in a trailer hitch as well, I don't want to mess up the lines of the car with a roof-mounted bike rack, so something on the rear that wouldn't actually touch the PAINT of the car would be fantastic.

I'll post something as soon as I find it. I've already asked my friend in Australia to get me a part number and I'm also watching Mazda Canada's web site for accessories (not listed yet).

goldwing2000, I sent you a PM. PM me whenever you get any info or if there's something that I may be able to help out with.

I was looking into a small hitch/trailer to tow a dirtbike(250 or 500 size). My buddy's pontiac GP did it no probs. We're talking 500-650 lbs and low speed driving. Why would a warranty be voided just because a KX500 is towed? If so, (hand) Car will never be serviced by dealer(there lost money). I can see if I cut springs and then wonder why while towing bike the strut blows. But come on. I hauled 4 race tires/rims in my 4-door(easy 200 lbs). I can just remove back seats and minus 50 lbs that way. Are you sure if I put a small single bike trailer(aluminum) and a 250 or 500 KX I will void warranty because of hitch?

Thanks! (thumb) I know the " new" car dilemma we are having. Hard to find anything for it right now. I just started looking at dirtbikes and would be really (pissed) if I can't tow one.

if u go to cardomain.com and go to the mazda3s theres a guy on the first page thats gotta hitch for pullin his sons go kart. his little icon picture is an orange 5door goin around a cone. couldnt figure out how to post links, sorry.

neverendingmods said:
I was looking into a small hitch/trailer to tow a dirtbike(250 or 500 size). My buddy's pontiac GP did it no probs. We're talking 500-650 lbs and low speed driving. Why would a warranty be voided just because a KX500 is towed? If so, (hand) Car will never be serviced by dealer(there lost money). I can see if I cut springs and then wonder why while towing bike the strut blows. But come on. I hauled 4 race tires/rims in my 4-door(easy 200 lbs). I can just remove back seats and minus 50 lbs that way. Are you sure if I put a small single bike trailer(aluminum) and a 250 or 500 KX I will void warranty because of hitch?

The warranty we're referring to is a warranty on the hitch itself if you buy one vs. make one. The vehicle warranty will not be affected unless whatever you're towing causes damage to the vehicle (too heavy, etc).

"do not tow anything with your mazda3"

I still just kinda liked the way the manual told N. America to not tow things

open the manual to "towing with your mazda 3:"

one line: "do not tow anything with your mazda 3."

I'm suprised they didn't just have a 24-pt "NO"

What liabilities arise with trailer hitches? Just people doing dumb things (towing too much weight, not being able to stop and getting in an accident) and then suing when they find a loophole in the warning... and they figured that just saying "you aren't supposed to tow anything with this car, as it said in the manual" has no loopholes and is easier?

PeteyBoy3K said:
What liabilities arise with trailer hitches? Just people doing dumb things (towing too much weight, not being able to stop and getting in an accident) and then suing when they find a loophole in the warning... and they figured that just saying "you aren't supposed to tow anything with this car, as it said in the manual" has no loopholes and is easier?

Exactly right.

Welp...

Here's the info from Australia:

Yo!!!!!!!!!

Alrighty... Mazda 3 towbar is $276.75... plus the wiring harness (whatever the f*ck that is.. ha ha ha), the dude said on top of the tow bar it would be about $76 - $100 depending on how much wiring is required and what's already on the car, yada, yada, yada... ha ha
Part number BK11TBSTD

Howzat?

Keep in mind that the prices are in Australian dollars, which are about the same value as Canadian dollars.

I'm going to talk to my dealer today and see if he can order the part and sneak it by MazdaUSA. (sssh)

Back