Real-world gas mileage in the 3

spec5protege

:
2002 Subaru WRX wagon
Howdy! I was just wondering what the gas mileage is on the Mazda 3? (Real-world, not what's quoted.) My WRX is supposed to get up to 27mpg but I have to fill the tank after only 230 miles. :rolleyes:

So, what are you guys actually getting in the Mazda 3?

spec5protege said:
Howdy! I was just wondering what the gas mileage is on the Mazda 3? (Real-world, not what's quoted.) My WRX is supposed to get up to 27mpg but I have to fill the tank after only 230 miles. :rolleyes:

I went about 405 KM before i had to fill up

i think i had enough gas left to go about another 30 KM

spec5protege said:

Since I removed the resonator if I keep the car under 3000rpm i get about 300-320miles per tank of gas. If I whomp on it alot I get about 230-250.

depends how the first 20 miles were put on the break in period of the engine....and seals perticular...durring break in period expect bad results and to consume a lil oil...a thing I found was that on the 2.3 the breather line spits oil into the intake...in the process of making a fix for it...other that that the real mpg is after break in and depends on driving habbits....

my first two tanks of gas, 28mpg/29mpg respectivly. Pretty conservative driving, but now i'm over the 600 mile mark so we'll see what this new tank gets.

hey...
i've gotten 26 and 24 mpg...
As for the breakin period, the dealer had the car brought 250 miles from another dealer...driven..whether or not that affected the breakin period, who knows..

i've been getting horrible milage so far...hope it gets better though. kind of worried about it!!!

mader said:
hey...
i've gotten 26 and 24 mpg...
As for the breakin period, the dealer had the car brought 250 miles from another dealer...driven..whether or not that affected the breakin period, who knows..
I have almost 9K on my 3 and i think the reason we get crappy gas mileage is because we have a 14.5 gallon tank. I have more capacity in my stomache then that. My eclipse had a 16 gallon tank so Im use to that.. it was awesome. but thats why we have crappy gas mileage.. is our baby tank, wellt hats why our tank empties so fast.. same gas mileage.. but miles to the tank.

^^ What?? ^^

I understand what he's saying, but that doesn't have anything to do with our MPG that we get... and that's what we're discussing here, not total miles per fill up.

spec5protege said:

36.7 highway on my first tank
Mazda 3i

i hear ya dja0323. i understand the tank is smaller, but i thought the MPG would have been better. what's funny is that my dealership JUST called me and i told him i was on these forums and told him of a couple things i was worried about, i.e. mileage, a/c, chips on the hood, i.e. he's a cool guy, so if any of these things happen to me, hopefully they'll hook me up. for all the PA people here, i got mine at Faulkner Mazda in Philly. good guys.

vividmaz3 said:
I have almost 9K on my 3 and i think the reason we get crappy gas mileage is because we have a 14.5 gallon tank. I have more capacity in my stomache then that. My eclipse had a 16 gallon tank so Im use to that.. it was awesome. but thats why we have crappy gas mileage.. is our baby tank, wellt hats why our tank empties so fast.. same gas mileage.. but miles to the tank.
(boom07)

mazda 3i

it's the 3i sedan, that means it has one of the two forms of the 2.0 Litre engine... which can get around 37 MPG

being the huge geek I am, I actually have been tracking my mileage on my webjournal. I have the hatchback (thus, the 2.3 litre engine)

Mileage Tracker

the worst I got was 22.21 during break in period... and the best I got was 30.2 on a 377 mile highway drive. I've been averaging about 25 in the city, but I've been pushing the poor thing too...

silly fun cars

I've got a little under 6000 km on my 3 sport. Driving it in the city, I get about 400km/tank so that works out to roughly 11.25L/100km or 21mpg, and on the highway I get about 550km range, which is about 8.5L/100km or 28mpg.... that is assuming I did the conversions correctly! Oddly that's both higher and lower consumption than quoted in the documentation, which I think is 10.5 in the city and 9.0 or 9.5 on the highway.

why can't you guys just go to metric? :p (bang)

(my first post on this site, give it up for newbies! (drunk) )

welcome

Airman Jack said:
I've got a little under 6000 km on my 3 sport. Driving it in the city, I get about 400km/tank so that works out to roughly 11.25L/100km or 21mpg, and on the highway I get about 550km range, which is about 8.5L/100km or 28mpg.... that is assuming I did the conversions correctly! Oddly that's both higher and lower consumption than quoted in the documentation, which I think is 10.5 in the city and 9.0 or 9.5 on the highway.

why can't you guys just go to metric? :p (bang)

(my first post on this site, give it up for newbies! (drunk) )
I agree re: the metric system, daily I have to use both. What a pain in the ass.

3rd tank

just filled up

low fuel light came on after driving 355 miles.
about 60% highway 40% traffic/city

360.5 miles/11.83 gal = 30.47 mpg

i have 847 miles on the odo. followed the break-in guidelines in the manual. the only time i really went over 3000 rpm in the first 600 miles was to pass trucks that were dropping small rocks and such (to save my thin paint).

$2.33/gal (blarf) $26.54

Ouch!

ingreenSD said:
just filled up

low fuel light came on after driving 355 miles.
about 60% highway 40% traffic/city

360.5 miles/11.83 gal = 30.47 mpg

i have 847 miles on the odo. followed the break-in guidelines in the manual. the only time i really went over 3000 rpm in the first 600 miles was to pass trucks that were dropping small rocks and such (to save my thin paint).

$2.33/gal (blarf) $26.54
2.33/gal? ouch!

I get about 420km city driving...havent taken it far on the hwy yet to burn a whole tank....today i got 220km and still above half...you guys figure it out

doctor3 said:
2.33/gal? ouch!
yeah sometimes having a 18 gallon tank hurts....you ever look at the pump in disbelief and look at the pump to seethe gas is actually going into the car and not the other side of the wheel well:(

Back