AC Problems

litig8r1

I just purchased my Mz-3 on Sunday. The very next day I noticed the AC does not blow cold constantly. I live in So. Fla hence use AC constantly. It will blow cold, then not so cold for a while, then cold again. I immediately notified dealer on Monday trying to rescind the deal. No luck. Service will take care of this I'm told, so yesterday they had the car all day. I was told that the car checks out properly and was checked against another 3 and it works just the same. Even more cruel, my loaner yesterday was a Hyundai whose air was ice cold 100% of the time. I have read several posts from owners on Edmunds documenting this problem, but did not see any posts on this board regarding this. I really love the car and the handling, yet I am baffled by this AC thing. Has anyone else here documented this, and if so, how are you proceeding? Thanks for any input.

Hey babe..Yea I noticed that too in my car. Ive had it about a month and I'm just dealing with it. I live in Texas so im not too worried about it. When i noticed it I told my dad i needed freeon or something. Lol looks like that's just how these cars do. If all the cars do this then is there any way to improve it entirely? Im sure there is. I'll see what else I can find out.

litig8r1 said:
I just purchased my Mz-3 on Sunday. The very next day I noticed the AC does not blow cold constantly. I live in So. Fla hence use AC constantly. It will blow cold, then not so cold for a while, then cold again. I immediately notified dealer on Monday trying to rescind the deal. No luck. Service will take care of this I'm told, so yesterday they had the car all day. I was told that the car checks out properly and was checked against another 3 and it works just the same. Even more cruel, my loaner yesterday was a Hyundai whose air was ice cold 100% of the time. I have read several posts from owners on Edmunds documenting this problem, but did not see any posts on this board regarding this. I really love the car and the handling, yet I am baffled by this AC thing. Has anyone else here documented this, and if so, how are you proceeding? Thanks for any input.
I noticed this too. I live in SO Florida and the AC is crucial. You wouldn't think that a new car would bring such a lousy AC. My other car (a dodge) has an Ice Cold AC and it has 157000 miles on it. Go figure. (boom03)

Dunno...

I live in central Pennsyltucky USA and it hasn't really been warm enough yet....I'll keep it mind though in July. (drunk)

I live in Tempe Arizona.. The desert of the US and you deffinately need it here, but you're right.. it comes on and off.. kinda sucks.. my Eclipse was colder then crap. But the good thing for working for Vivid Racing is that I am inside all day and dont have to deal with the heat until the weekends, then it's cool to roll around, all 4 down, shirt off, swim trunks on, sun glasses on, and cruuuiiiiise...! other then that. ya we need better ac hahaha

I live in Puerto Rico...Wanna talk hot 365,..... I thought I was just the unlucky to get one with a crappy AC, but I guess not. I have the exact same problem. To top it off, I took it back to the dealer and they said they fixed it "it just needed a bit more (freeon<----I think that's how it's spelled (shrug) ) In any case, I ended up with the exact same BS AC and a new noise everytime the AC kicks in! I'm pissed! (protest) I'm having to wake up early on my only day off to take in for this s***! (excuse my language)

Other than that....I love my Mz 3 (sun)

P.S. Maybe if we start sending letters in to Mazda they'll have a bulletin put out to fix this problem (shrug) .
552940_2_full.jpg

PA representin' in this thread!!

I'm a philly guy here and I never ever use air conditioning.. I'd much rather roll all the windows down (nana)

Maybe these Japanese built cars just don't have great a/c, since it never gets hot in Japan. Just kidding, mine is a little under cooling also, and it hasn't got really hot yet. If it can't cut the mustard, I'll just take my PT Cruiser, since it has a great a/c.

harrison888 said:
This is normal, every car do the same. The compressor does not turn on at all times, it goes on off on off on off.....
Yep when you floor it it cuts off....so if you are flooring it alot then it will cut of alot. If you don't like the A/C now don't get a aftermarket udp...makes it worse and mazda can't help you then

and as for windows down all the time....worse on gas mileage cause it disturbes the
areal flow of the car and causes areal drag.....to explain this matter more(to get what I'm saying) it's like running against the wind with an open unbrella even if you *leave the hatch open while driving(*do not do!!!) try and do a mpg test to see what I mean and decide if you loose enough gas mileage to care or not is all I say. also to clear this up....the A/C light is on...dial is in blue area....vents are on dashdoard or das and floor mode and fan is in any reagion other than 0. if that doesn't help roll windows up...and put it on recirc and that should get it even cooler.....also don't floor it as much....

Last edited:
dodge was also notorious for A/C as well....by neon had 4 settings.....luke warm breeze....Artic turndra......WTF and Hell on a hot day....no in betweens

Pretty hot here in Phx today, but I turned on the fan to Max, recirculate inside air, and let it go for about 5 mins, turned down the fan, and all was good. Nice cool ride all the way home (45 min drive). I have tinted windows, so maybe that helps as well? Anyway, I have no real issue with the A/C/

Silver Bull3t said:
I live in central Pennsyltucky USA and it hasn't really been warm enough yet....I'll keep it mind though in July. (drunk)
You noticed this too - Central Pennsyltucky (hah) . Where in central PA do you live? (I think I might have seen you a couple weeks ago near Harrisburg? - not in my Mazda3 though :( )

Regarding the A/C, if you have the floor/vent setting on, the air is not that cold, but if it is on vent only, the air is fairly cold. I do wish it was a little colder though - hopefully some tinted windows will help keep the interior cooler, so the A/C doesn't have to work as hard.

Da 6 said:
and as for windows down all the time....worse on gas mileage cause it disturbes the
areal flow of the car and causes areal drag.....to explain this matter more(to get what I'm saying) it's like running against the wind with an open unbrella even if you *leave the hatch open while driving(*do not do!!!) try and do a mpg test to see what I mean and decide if you loose enough gas mileage to care or not is all I say. also to clear this up.....

I thought having the A/C running decreases your mileage as well?

Take it from someone living in Atlanta

I live in Atlanta, which has gotten really hot a few days already... and while the A/C is not freezing cold like it used to be on my '88 camry (which had an A/C and "econ" button... A/C meaning you wanted 34 degree air blowing directly on your neck) it's adequate. I have found that the compressor does click on and off, meaning it will start to get a little less than frosty, and then suddenly cool again... and it's mostly noticeable when the car is idling a lot (so if you are driving around in stop-n-go traffic, and the engine is running really slowly, the compressor isn't spinning as fast).

When I took a long round trip to durham (400 miles from Hotlanta) it was actually getting a bit too cold and I had to point the vents away from my face. So it seems like revving the engine around 2000-3000 will get it cool quick.

Otherwise, I agree with dja0323 that when you first get into the hot car after it's been sitting in a parking lot trying to see how close it can get to 200 degrees... recirculating the air ("max A/C" on most american makes) helps a lot.. after 5 minutes of getting over "OMG-BBQ" you can turn it back to fresh air and the system will cool it down just fine.

bvmazda3: using a/c will decrease your mileage, but not as much as if you have your windows open at highway speeds. I've found that leaving the windows/sunroof open when you're tooling around town doesn't make that much of a difference tho... or you can do the ultimate guilty pleasure: windows down and sunroof open with A/C on...

Yeah, me too! It is definitely NOT a normal compressor thing. The cold is just not cold. And the floor vents are the *worst*. Does anything even come out of those things? I also get a really loud whiney noise when I turn on the AC. Taking it in tomorrow for the check engine light problem so we'll see what they say. Other than that I still love it though :)

yes it also causes bad gas mileage....cause it's a strain when it's on but cuts off when you floor it so you regain power but hi revving=hi burning of fuel supply so either way but I do both (windows down to hear cai echo off underpass and windows up for hi pollen season)...and as stated try both methods to see if the los in mpg is notica able enough to give 2 S****(thumb) and yes since 90 percent of my driving is highway my a/c is kicking out cold with the fan off and in vent mode....wish i had the automatic thermostat features...sucks to have a display with alot of icons that don't light up....(poke) also there is a product at target (who the hell pronounces it as tar-'geh?) that clips to the window and vents the hot air and runs on solar power(doesn't work with dark tinted windows)...must have item for those people who choose the "year round" heated leather seats option (hah)

I purchased my Mazda3 GTon friday, drove 20kms and found out the AC is blowing hot air, took it back to the dealer, the service dept. worked 2 hrs without any luck, said they require Mazda Canada and US to be on phone with them while fixing problem. Apparently I've been told that the sensor for AC is not picking up signal to turn on the compressor, when they run the program from outside, through a computer, it works fine but from inside the car it is not picking up signal. They kept the car for the weekend to work on it on Monday when Mazda Canada and Mazda US would be open.
Any one had such experience? It sucks! Who should I blame? dealership? or Mazda itself??? any ideas???

litig8r1 said:

Last edited:
Back