Miata Mods: Need Advice

vodapas77

:
Nada Mazda :( 2001 Chevy Silverado
Well,

I sold my faithful Del Sol which has opened up some funds for mods to both the Speed and our Miata. I have some ideas of what I would like to do to it, but I wanted to get some feed back from other Miata owners. Most of the mods lean toward show more than go. I love the car and it's a blast to drive, but the reality is that it is first and foremost the wife's car. Although I have tried to talk her into becoming involved in Auto-X she shows little to no intrest.

First of all I'll give a brief description of the Miata since I haven't posted a lot about it and because I don't have a pic here at work. It's a dark green/black interior 1999 w/ the sport suspension package and the factory body kit. Sadly it's an automatic. (Thank the wife for that one.) The first owner did a little work to it. Some good, some bad. The good: it has an SRI, dualed exhaust (don't laugh, it sounds really good and doesn't look that out of place), and supposedly the head was ported and polished. The bad: it's currently wearing a horrid set of 3-spoke Antera wheels. (Think early 90's.)

That said here's what I am thinking of so far:

Suspension: I am pretty happy with the handling as it is, but the wheel gap is killing me. So, as of right now I'm just thinking Tein Springs. Anyone had any experience with them or have any better suggestions?

Wheels: 16x7 Steel Gray Rota Subzeros. (Gotta love Rishie)

Rollbar: Harddog Hardbar. I was originally thinking of going with the original two point, but now I am thinking mabey I should just cough up for the Sport (four point). Are the advantages of the Sport worth the cost?

Interior: I've got to try to hide the Auto. as best I can so I'll probably add the Momo Auto shifter and try to figure out how to add the Pit Stop e-brake handle on the 99+ without it looking cheap. I also really need a new ash tray (original's lid is chewed up) and a new center console lid (plastic hinge is breaking) anyone no where I can find these pieces?

Exterior: I want to replace all of the badging on the car with Eunos Roadster badging (both the front and rear flying "M" badges as well as the "Mazda" and "Miata" badges). Additionally I am thinking of blacking out the headlights as many a P5 owner has done to capture a little of the MSM look. But, I am not sure how it will look with the Dark Green paint. I would also really love to replace the current tail lights (with the amber turn-signal lense) with the MSM design (clear turn-signal). So, if anyone can point me towards a pair I would really appreciate it. Finally, I also need a new passenger side fog assembly since the current one has a 1/2" of water collected inside. lol. Once again, if anyone can recomend a place to obtain one I would really appreciate it.

Well, I think that's enough out of me. I am sure there are other things that I am forgetting, but I've taken up enough space here. So let me hear your thoughts, suggestions or objections. Thank you for helping a Miata noob along.

Last edited:
new wheels ;) jp

sorry not a miata owner, but bump for u - chris

No worries, the wheels will be on the way just as soon as the check from the Del Sol clears my account. :D

Go with the HD Sport bar, in black. Don't bother paying twice as much for the polished, 'cause, pretty as it is, if you don't pad your roll bar, you've just turned a safety item into a huge safety hazard! You're so much more likely to have a fender bender or get rear-ended than you are to roll over, and in an accident, it's pretty easy to hit the roll bar with your head. Get the hard SFI padding. It's designed to do a better job of protecting your un-helmeted head from the cold steel of the bar.

As for lowering it, I'd stick with the stock springs, and go with Koni Adjustable shocks. They have three different spring perches to change the ride height, and you get adjustable damping out of the deal!

Rotas! Nice. I like the gunmetal circuit 8's.

As for the other parts, everyone tells me Trussville Mazda is the place to go for OEM parts. I go to PBC because they're local for me and the owner is an extremely nice guy. PBC does do mail order, of course, it's where their business began.

Have fun with it. Sorry it's an automatic.

Foolish said:
Have fun with it. Sorry it's an automatic.
lol. Not as sorry as I am. Thanks for the suggestions. I was definitely planning to go with the black PC roll-bar. I agree they look good just how they are and it will match up well with the black interior. Good point on the padding. Definitely wouldn't want to smack my head into that at a high speed. I was definitely gonna go for that too. I can only imagine what my wife would say if she bumped her head on a part I put in. lol.

I'll check out the Konis but price may be a barrier there and thanks for the links for the OEM parts.

Don't forget to NOT underestimate the importance of the weight of the wheels. I'm not too sure about the Rotas, but a lighter wheel will help the feel of the power to the ground alot, and would be especially important to me if I had an auto.

Keep us posted! :)

I definitely agree Diane, but I think this car is going to be based on compromise. It was a battle just to get the wife to let me put in the roll bar, so I figure getting her to let me put 14" stockers on isn't gonna fly. lol. The Rota's seem to be a good balance. 16x7s weigh 16 pds. a piece. Not the lightest wheel around, but not too bad. Ah what we do for marriage. Too bad all women can't have your insight. lol. Thanks for the advice.

Foolish said:
As for lowering it, I'd stick with the stock springs, and go with Koni Adjustable shocks. They have three different spring perches to change the ride height, and you get adjustable damping out of the deal!
Sorry it's an automatic.
Sorry, but the Koni's on the M2 (99+ NB's) are non height adjustable, thats only on the M1's (90-97 NA's) The M2 sport package is a competent suspension setup, but if your wanting to lower it, get a set of racing beat street springs, and either keep the stock bilsteins, or get a set of KYB AGX's (cheaper than Konis) Sorry about the slushy tranny though.

DallasP5 said:
Sorry, but the Koni's on the M2 (99+ NB's) are non height adjustable, thats only on the M1's (90-97 NA's)
I did not know that... Now I do.(dunno)

Don't completely disregard my previous advice on shocks, though. I still say get the Koni's, just get a five-speed 1st gen Miata to mount them on, too!! ;)

Foolish said:
Don't completely disregard my previous advice on shocks, though. I still say get the Koni's, just get a five-speed 1st gen Miata to mount them on, too!! ;)
Oh if only finances would allow. lol. Actually our first prospect was a 1993 Sunburst Yellow Miata with a 5-speed. Only had 60,000 miles on it to boot. Unfortunately, I played a little too hard of ball with the haggling and it got sold out from underneath us. Live and learn right?

Back