Pro's and CON's of mazdaspeed

A

AustinG

did any one see the pro's and con's off the modern racer?
Pros :
- Finally gets more power.
- Superb handling rivals that of Subaru Impreza WRX.
- Aggressive body kit.
- Numerous value-for-money features include an MP3 player.
- Limited numbers guarantees exclusivity.

Cons :
- Dodge's Neon SRT-4 is faster.
- Other 4-cylinder cars make more power without a turbocharger.
- Funky rear wing.
- Compact interior.
- Only 2000 people get to enjoy this car.

that's true about the 4-cylinder. Is mazda going to come back about a year from now and put out a more powerful mp3?

1. Weak turbo and intercooler
2. Black looks good, but the orange has to go

That's my only complaints. But I can't wait to have one pull up beside me somewhere thinking that my MP3 is the normal 140hp MP3, then I'll procede to blow his doors off their hinges.

a few corrections/additions, IMHO of course :)

AustinG said:
did any one see the pro's and con's off the modern racer?
Pros :
- Finally gets more power.
- Superb handling BETTER THAN that of Subaru Impreza WRX on asphalt, dirt/gravel/wet is whole other story.
- Aggressive body kit.
- Numerous value-for-money features include an MP3 player.
- Limited numbers guarantees exclusivity.

Cons :
- Dodge's Neon SRT-4 is faster. ON PAPER ONLY, as of now
- Other 4-cylinder cars make more power without a turbocharger. curse the lack of variable valve timing!
- Funky rear wing.
- Compact interior that is still one of the most spacious among its direct competitors (Civic, Corolla, Focus, Lancer)
- Only 2000 people get to enjoy this car.

that's my take and I'm sticking to it :D

i see this car as #2 in the line of better and better mazda cars. (of course, the mp3 is #1)

PRO vs CON , OUR MP3 Vs Mazdaspeed MP3, True that it's a good turbo but it's only 170 hp. CON: You upgrade the turbo in the mazdaspeed and you'll void the warranty:mad: . PRO: Put a turbo kit in our MP3 and you'll void the warranty but you'll have 210+ Hp!!!!!!:D . If you already have a mp3, Pro: you don't have to start over on the loan and it's cheaper to put a turbo kit on it! :D , CON: Start over on our loan with the mazdaspeed mp3 and get a factory 170 hp turbo. :rolleyes: .

hell yeah if i had a mp3 i would just put a turbo on it, that would make just as good as a mazdaspeed, cause the mp3 is allready sick.But iam getting mazdaspeed cause the turbo on the is still pretty good.

Its a well balanced sport compact sedan right off the showroom floor. :cool:

Just like the OG mp3...but now the equation is complete with the addition of factory approved f/i.

Don't get me wrong, the Mazdaspeed Pro can be made into a powerfull car. Just add a timing control device like the J&S, an aftermarket boost controler, and for under $800 beans you can push out about 10psi and have close to 200hp. Add an aftermarket front mount intercooler, and boost it up higher and have over 200hp. It's that easy. Not the mention the limited slip, that will make a HUGE difference.

You know how when you take off really fast and it feels like the car is pulling hard to the right. That is because the right wheel is getting all the power. When you have limited slip diff., both wheels get equal power. This makes traction better on launches. The differential is giving power to both wheels instead of just one.

big_ben

does this mean that there will be next to no wheel spin?...
is it possible to disable LSD?
i thought that all FWD cars have equal distruibution when you launch?..when people do burnouts, both wheels spin. Not only one.

Anyone else can explian LSD to me?

The horsepower figure isn't for sure yet, but it is hinted that the car makes well over the 170 hp estimated figure that has been released. Look at the VW for its main competition in the horsepower department.

As for the weak turbo and intercooler? Calloway makes some serious cars with those "weak" parts...The Mazdaspeed Protege promises to be another one.

Pros:
It is a turboed MP3 with some other nice little goodies to boot, which means it will finally have the power it needs for the chassis. Which was the major compalint with the MP3 in just about every mag I saw.

Sure you can go aftermarket on the turbo for present MP3's, but it is still unknown for sure if you'll "rip the doors off" the Mazdaspeed going that route.

It shows the aftermarket that Mazda is a company worth making parts for.

Cons:
There will only be 2000 of them.

Can you really cite that 2000 of them is a con?

Besides a probably high cost for replacement parts, I can't really see that as a "con". The only other situation in which I can see that as a con, is if somebody wants one and can't get one.

Anyone here want one and can't get one? Haven't read anybody complaining about that yet.

Only having 2000 around could be viewed as a pro as well. It'll be kind of nice driving a car that every and his dog doesn't own. (ex: Honda civics in Vancouver)

If "Pro" is the opposite of "Con", is "progress" the opposite of "Congresss?"

I have nothing but good thing to say about the car. Yeah, the turbo is weak, but so what, that can be fixed. I think it is great that mazda is trying to make faster cars that revolve around performance now. It's about time they had something other than the RX-7. As for the wheel spin question, there will always be some wheel spin. But in all cars, wether it's front wheel drive or not, unless there is a lockable diff. or a limited slip one in there, a large majority of the power will only go to one wheel. When you do a burnout with this car, yes both wheels spin, but that's because there is little resistance to them. When you are trying to make the tires grab on a launch you will notice that pulling to the right or left. With the limited slip, that wont happen.

big_ben said:
I have nothing but good thing to say about the car. Yeah, the turbo is weak, but so what, that can be fixed. I think it is great that mazda is trying to make faster cars that revolve around performance now. It's about time they had something other than the RX-7. As for the wheel spin question, there will always be some wheel spin. But in all cars, wether it's front wheel drive or not, unless there is a lockable diff. or a limited slip one in there, a large majority of the power will only go to one wheel. When you do a burnout with this car, yes both wheels spin, but that's because there is little resistance to them. When you are trying to make the tires grab on a launch you will notice that pulling to the right or left. With the limited slip, that wont happen.

What makes the trubo weak in the Mazdaspeed Protege??

It's not that it's weak, it's just very small, and has a VERY small intercooler. Almost all turbos that come from the factory are on the weak side. They do it so the car will be reliable with an idiot driver that never takes care of the car and never changes the oil like a woman. I'm not bashing women, just stating an average fact.

If I remember correctly, the intercooler that comes with the BEGI kit is similar in size to the Mazdaspeed Protege's. The BEGI kit is supposed to be highly reputable.

And if you mean small then say small. Small doesn't mean weak, it simply means that if you wnat more, you obviously are going to have to go bigger.

LSD

I thought I'd offer a little more detail on what a limited slip differential does; I hope noone minds.
Normally a car has an open differential. This type of differential will basically send power down the path of least resistance. So if you were in a situation where one wheel was on the ground and the other was in the air, the wheel in the air would get 100% of the power.
When you look at a front wheel drive car with a transversely laid out engine, you often get an undesirable situation. Because the transmission is on one side of the engine, the two half shafts are of unequal length. Therefore on hard launches one side will invariably get more power than the other because of the shorter half shaft and the open differential. This is commonly referred to as torque steer. The sensation is of having the car pull strongly toward one side.
A limited slip differential (whether it be a viscous coupling type or helical) has a set of gears inside that reduce the amount of power transfer in the same situation where an open diff would send 100% power to one wheel. So in that same example where one wheel is in the air, you would still get some power to the wheel on the ground and therefore be able to move. On the hard launch, the amount of additional power that one wheel gets is again reduced.

With the addition of the lsd they said it will also have bigger axles will these fit a non-lsd equiped mp3? In other words not only does lsd prevent "one tire fires" but it also eliminates unloading of the inside wheel during sharp corners.

Last edited:
Back