Terrible Noise under hard accelleration

yac2727

:
2004 Mazda 3s Black Mica
HI,
OK this is really starting to bother me. It used to be once in a while, now under any hard accel my new car is making a HUGE CLUNK sound from the front, sounds like from some supports, or the engine actually hitting some sheet metal or something. :mad:
We need to get to the bottom of this. I know there have been some previous threads suggesting that this was done on purpose by Mazda, but I'm starting to doubt that. Has anyone taken their car into the dealership because of this? Any one else with this problem that seems to be getting worse with time. My car has less than 2000 miles on it and it's really starting to bug me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

mazda engineers designed the car to make that noise under hard acceleration so people wouldn't be driving it hard, as far as iknow it is just a noise though so i haven't worried about it an if something is the matter then warranty will take care of it

wangan_x said:
mazda engineers designed the car to make that noise under hard acceleration so people wouldn't be driving it hard, as far as iknow it is just a noise though so i haven't worried about it an if something is the matter then warranty will take care of it
It's hard to believe that Mazda would do something like that on purpose, that is bound to hurt sales of the car when people take notice. It also sounds a little drastic to keep people from driving hard. This is a performance compact, meant to be driven. Who did the information come from that the noise is on purpose?? (lurk)

wangan_x said:

I bet a Mazda tech told you that who was too lazy to look for a problem. Sounds like BS to me.

Let's make it so the wheels fall of when they press on gas every time...

all japanese cars do that.. they're not as comfy as american cars so u should expect rattling, sound, hard suspension etc.. if ur on stock that is..

Was hard accelerating tonight and all I heard was the sweet sound of this fine, refined engine.

So it's not just on turns + hard acceleration? Could it be motor mounts/movement of the engine?

I too, don't really buy the "feature by design" reasoning. The slogan is not zoom clunk zoom.

I get the same thing on "hard accelaration"(spinning tres hard) and on hard braking and hitting hard bumps. I will complain when I take in for its warranty stop. Whitch will be soon.

yeah engine mounts in todays cars are really soft for vibration at idle reasons at the expence of firm shifts and adding wheel hop. :( 6 suffers from same thing till inserts or racing mounts come out... unless you alreay broke a mount then that is a warenty issue. If they didnt wan't you to speed then the 2.3 wouldn't exist as an option on the 3 and 3.0 on the 6.

Last edited:
I may have just figured out another contributing factor to this problem.

According to the write-up in Car and Driver, the 3 has liquid-filled control arm bushings.

Good for vibration damping but very very bad for maintaining control arm position.

This could allow metal-to-metal contact under extreme torque loads which would be repeated and amplified by a condition like wheel hop.

Da 6 said:
yeah engine mounts in todays cars are really soft for vibration at idle reasons at the expence of firm shifts and adding wheel hop. :( 6 suffers from same thing till inserts or racing mounts come out... unless you alreay broke a mount then that is a warenty issue. If they didnt wan't you to speed then the 2.3 wouldn't exist as an option on the 3 and 3.0 on the 6.

I concur

goldwing2000 said:
I may have just figured out another contributing factor to this problem.

According to the write-up in Car and Driver, the 3 has liquid-filled control arm bushings.

Good for vibration damping but very very bad for maintaining control arm position.

This could allow metal-to-metal contact under extreme torque loads which would be repeated and amplified by a condition like wheel hop.

So, i would assume then that the bad noise is a bad thing to have happen? Is there gonna be one time these guys accelerate, hear the Great Pounding, and find they've left behind a puddle of Mazda Control Arm Bushing Liquid aka. MCABL (tm)?

~Bart~

to tell you the truth...the 2.3 is a wierd beast...had our admin at 6 tech take his apart to find out what that noise is when the A/c is on...after the 1st oil change it makes a ping/knock/tap sound...oil is at max line ;) I did (RTM) before attempting any servicing.

bvmazda3 said:
So, i would assume then that the bad noise is a bad thing to have happen? Is there gonna be one time these guys accelerate, hear the Great Pounding, and find they've left behind a puddle of Mazda Control Arm Bushing Liquid aka. MCABL (tm)?

~Bart~

It's entirely possible. It wouldn't really be much of a puddle, though. More like a greasy stain on the surrounding area.

That would be an excellent opportunity to put in some polyurethanes (if they ever come available). (thumb)

I'm just gonna keep beating mine till something breaks. At least then I'll know for sure what was making the noise. (silly)

It'll give rip-off techs something else to charge for 10 years down the road, too.

"Yeah... we hafta change your bushing fluid. That's gonna cost ya."

If you thought mercon V was expencive you should see what they charge for blinker fluid in parts dept!

I put about 2000 miles on my car and decided to get on it a bit. I took off from a light and during the 1st to 2nd shift it made a huge thump sound. It did not do it again until I took it to the track and this time the thump sound was even worse. After I completed the 1/4 mile and came to a stop, my car was idling at around 750rpm and vibrating like crazy. I let the car sit for about an hour and started it up for another 1/4 mile run. It was still vibrating, but I paid my $20 and wanted another run. This time it made the same violent thump during the 1st to 2nd shift, but after the run the car ran fine. No vibration or crazy idle. It does make an odd buzzing/ winding sound under hard acceleration around 4000 now. I waited about a 2-3 weeks after I ran my car and now I'm going to take it into the shop.

Dropped my car off at the shop yesterday to get it checked out. They called me today and told me that it was the trans mount.

Back