Check Engine Light (Any 6 Owner Can Help)

enowak

My check engine light has appeared numerous times throughout the life of my vehicle. Now I am starting to wonder if my light is burnt out.

When you turn the key in the ignition a click or two, the lights in the gauge cluster light up. Does the check engine light show up in your cluster? For reference, the light is amber, and it is an outline shape of an engine.

Thanks,
Eric

yes it will show up on every car i have ever seen when the car is not turned on but the power itself is.

To restate that "It is only a problem if the CEL stays on when the engine is turned on and you start moving"

Also - if the CEL blinks, or the Automatic Transmission light blinks, you have SERIOUS issues. STOP immediately and call Mazda's Roadside Assistance.

I guess that I worded my original post improperly. (doh)

I've had my vehicle for the check engine light 3 times.

After a recent visit to my dealer, they stated, "We have no fix for the check engine light. The light will always come back on. If you are lucky, our Mazda engineers will have a remedy by August 2004 (today is 4/7/04). The check engine light is caused by a misfire in the fourth cylinder".

Currently, my check engine light does not light up when I turn the key in the ignition to "power". I just wanted to see if a check engine light not appearing is normal.

Thanks,
Eric

enowak said:
After a recent visit to my dealer, they stated, "We have no fix for the check engine light. The light will always come back on. If you are lucky, our Mazda engineers will have a remedy by August 2004 (today is 4/7/04). The check engine light is caused by a misfire in the fourth cylinder".
Your dealership needs to update their WSD. Either ask them to please recheck for a new PCM flash (latest is 30.2, THIS particular fix was in 29.3), or go to another dealership.

Might want to read this link at 6tech for all the info. Wonderful group of guys there(thumb)

Back