Just heard a rumour about a new AWD "performance" sedan!

I have a mysterious "uncle" who works with Mazda and he's telling me that there's going to be a new AWD sedan in the 2004 lineup to compete with the Evolution VII and the WRX. It'll be based on the Mazdaspeed Protege (so it's obviously turbocharged) but with higher boost and of course, the AWD! It won't be a limited production run either! It'll come with many tuner parts like Recaro seats, Volk Racing rims, and Racing beat exhaust! Of course, it'll have aggressive styling similar to the MP3. It appears this was a major selling point of the P5s. Since it's aiming to compete with the WRX, I'm assuming it'll have at least 250hp. SWEET! Better sell your mp3 and order this new car today :D I ordered 7 different colours! You know, one for each day of the week! :p

i've heard about that...but that's all talk right now since mazda is going to be changing the chassis and such between then and now...sounds like all te tuner parts are gonna be for the concept car or show car...most likely the production version (if it makes it to production) will be watered down...

I'm not sure about a new AWD Protege, but there definitely WILL be a new AWD performance sedan from Mazda: based on the new Mazda6.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_index.php?cp=1&domain=evo&page=news/evo_news_story.php?id=27512

"Keen to boost its image among enthusiastic drivers, Mazda is set to unveil a hot edition of the new 6 saloon. The MPS will appear at September's Paris Motor Show, and promises to deliver more than 250bhp from its 2.3-litre turbo engine. A four-wheel-drive version of the 6's well balanced chassis will ensure top-rate handling."

the mazda familia sport 20 is a awd turbo charged car in japan basicly a p5 and it already exists its just the us never gets the good cars I'm moving to japan!

promp3 said:
the mazda familia sport 20 is a awd turbo charged car in japan basicly a p5 and it already exists its just the us never gets the good cars I'm moving to japan!

the sport20 is NOT turbocharged

jesus lord that 6 is SEXY!!!!!!!!!(omg)

promp3 said:

yeah if memory serves correctly (it usually does)...the FZ is a N/A inline 4 producing 170hp...somebody correct me if i'm wrong...

actually, the sport20 comes with the FS-ZE engine (closly related to our FS-DE engine) producing 170ps (whatever that is), which amounts to about 160 SAE hp. and AWD drive is an option on those cars.

God, 160 is too little for an AWD car in my opinion. I wouldnt want less than 200 :). Or go the WRX route!

blynzoo said:
God, 160 is too little for an AWD car in my opinion. I wouldnt want less than 200 :). Or go the WRX route!

just depends on how much torque the engine is willing to put out...the standard impreza puts out enough torque to make AWD worth it along with the 165hp...

njaremka said:
actually, the sport20 comes with the FS-ZE engine (closly related to our FS-DE engine) producing 170ps (whatever that is), which amounts to about 160 SAE hp. and AWD drive is an option on those cars.

Unfortunately, it only has about 110TQ. :-(

There is no way a car with 160 hp has a max torque of only 110...

Based off of the math, torque = (hp * 5252)/RPM, we would have torque = (160 * 5252) / 6000, which would be about 140...

I'm guessing on the rpm (for the max hp), but still, 110 is not the max torque figure.

At 5252 rpm torque and hp are the same, and if it is at 140 at 6000, that would mean it would be higher at 5252. Generally torque falls off a little after 5252, or at least will alwyas be less than the hp.

--- edit ---

After looking at that site, it looks like the max hp happens more at 6500 rpm, which would move the torque down to about 129...

Also looking at the torque figure of 18.4 kg-m, using the conversion to get lb-ft of torque, you multiply by 7.723301 which would give us about 133. So, the 130-135 figure would be correct...

Of course, once again I have been up since about 10:00 am yesterday and it is about 6:55 am now...My mind might not be entirely here.

Sorry for any inconvenience...

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a sport20 Aspec or something thats turbocharged? cause i swear i saw some where that there was a turbo sport 20

now i rember where i saw it gran turismo2! I know its just a game and all, but they did alot of resurch and the makers are japaneseas (as in from or live in japan not their race) Im not saying there right its just thats where i saw it.
im going to go dubble check in a wile to make sure im not just confused

promp3 said:
never mind it wasent the 323 f sport 20 it was the protege gtx my bad you were right
Me
(stupid)

No worries, we weren't going to lynch for the mistake...

Wow, I've never started a thread with so many responses :) I was just bored the day I made this thread, i never heard from any uncle (i thought someone would detect a bit of sarcasm) but hey, lots of tasty tidbits of info in the responses!

Back