I'm hearing rumors that the P5 will be..

old news....the next generation of Protege will be sharing the same platform as the focus....don't mean they will look alike...just sharing the platform.....but the drive trains will be all Mazda.

Well, similar platform doesn't mean jack. The Jaguar X-type shares a platform with the Ford Taurus! Sure, I've seen the complaints that the car looks too similar (well, according to those arguments, I could say the upcoming Porsche GT looks similar to a Daewoo, c'mon, they both have headlights, tailights, and wheels! GOSH! :rolleyes: ) ! Well, the only legitimate one seems to be the disadvantages of an AWD car based on a FWD platform, but whatever, I don't think X-type drivers really care. Want an AWD monster, get a WRX or Evo.

First time post so don't flame me too much ;)

The Jag X-tpye is based on the Mondeo which was from the first day designed to be an AWD capable platform. As for the future P5 on the Focus platform, it's just a platform, and a platform that is designed for AWD (Cosworth Focus). So how I look at it, AWD turbo P5's aren't that far away, and I will be the first in line to buy one.
Bye Bye Foci, hello P5t

flame who?

welcome newcommer! we dont flame people here in our family! i thought the Mondeo was the exact same thing as the contour? and the contour is FWD????? Hmmmm.... are you sure? just asking.

I am worried that the platform sharing will make proteges go the way VWs went. Shure it cuts production costs and lets the carmaker put in a bunch of extra features (that no one needs) for a reasonable cost. But the VW platform shared by the Audi TT, Golf and the beatle is friggin heavy.

It seems like they had to incorporate a lot of strength into the platform to make it stiff no matter what stupid euro-mestalgia shaped body they put on it. Thats why we have got 2900 lb hachbacks running arround on our city streets.

I think proteges are the coolest and best performing small cars for the money right now but if the next generation weighs anything over 2500lbs for the sedan, Im gonna have to jump ship.

Oh yeah dont even get me starded on the beam rear suspension crap that usually goes along with the whole platform sharing, customer brainwashing, Carolla ruining, carmakers cheaping out scams!

If that happens to the Pro its Mitsubishi or Honda all the way. :mad:

Im sure this is possible since ford owns mazda... and ford also is cutting half there car lines this year to make more money on there top sellers.. so im sure if they make a ford hatchback (zx3) and mazda hatchback (prot5) then they can combine the best of the 2 and not have to do the different R&D for each make and save em a lot of money....

i hate ford...

im not trying to start a flame war, but thats why i have to say i cannot stand american car comapnies. they only sell whats good for them and they discontinue a good thing. the always do this. what happened to the Probe? the Contour? out with the good in with the crap. and if i swear, they do that bar suspension crap will go honda big time. at least if i go with everyone else i can still have a great car. HEY AMERICA DOHC, INDEPENDANT SUSPENSION, RACE INSPIRED HANDELING. JDM baby thats where it is. well sort of.... lol

well this is one of things that can drive you nuts....you nor I or ANY of the public will ever know what is truely going to happen till its all a done deal and on its way to production....and to be honest....we don't even know what the 2003 is going to be like...much less the next generation....

AND there is a rumor running around that SUBARU is going to buy out Fords part of Mazda....and I think we would all like to see that happen....so just don't let it bother you....for there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

Sir Nuke said:
well this is one of things that can drive you nuts....you nor I or ANY of the public will ever know what is truely going to happen till its all a done deal and on its way to production....and to be honest....we don't even know what the 2003 is going to be like...much less the next generation....

AND there is a rumor running around that SUBARU is going to buy out Fords part of Mazda....and I think we would all like to see that happen....so just don't let it bother you....for there is nothing you can do about it anyway.
Really? I've never heard this, altough I'd LOVE to see it! It would certainly complicate things, since Mazda and Ford already share Engines and Platforms.

As far as the Mazda3 being cheapened because of Ford, I'm not that worried about it. On the contrary, I think the Focus will benefit because of Mazda's influence.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know when the Mazda3 is scheduled to debut? I originally heard 2004, but lately I've been hearing 2005.

the focus, protege, and certain volvos are going to share the same platform...for better or for worse. also i highly doubt subaru will buy out fords portion of mazda considering they are collaborating with GM right now...but hey ya never know.

It always really cheeses me off when somebody takes a look at my MP3 and is one of the haters and tries to belittle it by saying...."duh you know you are driving a Ford right?"

I'd prefer if Ford had no ownership of Mazda...cuz I get rare people who actually try to insult me by saying my car is basically made by Ford because they are ignorant.

According to Car & Driver...

The next generation of Protege/Focus will be a joint development by Ford, Mazda (30% owned by Ford), and Volvo (also a Ferd company). Ford will develop the chassis, Mazda the drivetrain (the Ztech engine is a Mazda derivative anyway), and Volvo will do the safety systems. There will be all wheel drive in both the Protege and Focus product lines and more models to choose from in both product lines. What's not to like? Anyone watch the WSC runs? The Focus cars are real screamers with four wheel drive. The touring car series Proteges are begining to eat the 3 series Beemers on the road course due to the engine development programs at Mazda. Hmmm, a 200+hp, awd, P5... I gotta go sit down. Jim

True all three cars kick ass on their own. But when you try to come up with a platform that can accomodate all three wheight will become a factor. Focuses and Proteges kick ass because theyre light. (sad2)

Back