My RX-7 engine has lost compression - what are my options?

ChrisB

My 1988 RX-7 SE has completely lost compression on one of its rotors. This is the second time this has happened with this car - once about 6 years ago at ~90K and now again at 130K. I am looking at a very expensive dealer replacement: ~$4000.

Economically this does not make much sense, but I am very attached to the car and would like to keep it.

Anyone have any miracle, or at least cheap(er), cures than a dealer replacement?

Please advise...

Thanks,

Chris

Can't it be rebuilt way cheaper? Then you could have some nice apex seals put in and have it ported and polished. I don't know anything about working on rotary engines (braindead

yep 4k is way to much you could do a turbo swap for that kind on money

Sadly I don't knwo exactly which shops are in that part of the country...

hop on over to rx7club.com and check in the regional sections.. they'll set you straight on who does good stuff in yor area.

If there are no good local rebuilders, check with corksport.com or www.ctintl.com they're both importers of low mileage Japan motors (and distributors I kow peopel have had good dealings with) I think a j-spec for those usually only runs 4-600 bucks, plus another couple hundred for shipping...

FC3s Boy said:
yep 4k is way to much you could do a turbo swap for that kind on money
Werd. That's why we chose to do the TII swap. It would have cost way more to rebuild the puny little 12A, which is totally unrebuildable anyway. Complete used TII motor=$800=:)
ZoomZoomH said:
diy rebuild!
yah, if it IS rebuildable. Nope. I like my idea better... ;)

Pkay said:
Cars.jpg
Ahhh....Chaste White fd. Nice. Rare color.

Back