170 whp mazdaspeed

spoolinmp3

Contributor
Just wanted to say that I though this was BS!

There is no way the new mazdaspeed will have 170 wheel hp. Think about it.

A garrett t25 turbo
Intercooler the size of my hand.
supposedly 5-6psi of boost
All emmisions controls
1.75 inch exhaust
log style manifold.

This setup would NEVER make 170 whp from the factory. 170 hp at the crank sounds very correct........here is why.

My setup

16g turbo (like a garret t3 much bigger tha the t25)
Huge ass Front mount intercooler
7-8psi of boost
No catalytic converters
3 inch full exhaust
tubular manifold.

And I made 189 hp to the wheels...........ok that was dynoed before the 3 inch exhst but still a setup like mazdaspeeds should realisticly yield 140-wheel hp because of all the emmisions controls, baby turbo, baby intercooler and low boost output. hmmmmmm lets see what does 140-145whp yield at the crank? lets say there is a 17% drivetrain loss..........with that factored in we get ....holy s***!:rolleyes: 169.65hp!

You do the math;)

Thankx for ruining my Fantasy you JERK :D , just messing with ya. i think you ment to hit reply instead of new topic.

1.75 inch exhaust? Damn that's small...especially since they added a turbo...you sure that's right?

I think spoolin cries himself to sleep every night saying "it's not 170whp!! it's not 170whp!!". :)

170 HP on the Mazdaspeed

All manufacturer will only post the engine power alone. None of them will post the actual power on the wheel. Mazda say that the MP3 has 140 engine Horse power. But actrually they only make around 100 horse power to the wheels after all the power loss from the transmittion and stuff like that! So 170 HP for the Mazdaspeed Protege seems to be fair. If you car can create 189 hp on your wheel. Your engine power would be around 240-250hp! Not bad! Not bad!

Did you test you 0-60mph! 0-100mph! From your turbo MP3?:eek:

Re: 170 HP on the Mazdaspeed

MP3 Paul said:
All manufacturer will only post the engine power alone. None of them will post the actual power on the wheel. Mazda say that the MP3 has 140 engine Horse power. But actrually they only make around 100 horse power to the wheels after all the power loss from the transmittion and stuff like that! So 170 HP for the Mazdaspeed Protege seems to be fair. If you car can create 189 hp on your wheel. Your engine power would be around 240-250hp! Not bad! Not bad!

Did you test you 0-60mph! 0-100mph! From your turbo MP3?:eek:

A little correction here. Most of the members that have dyno'd their MP3's have gotten about 115-117whp and 119-122lb ft of torque. So your 100whp claim is a bit off.

I agree with spoolin. I think the 170hp is at the crank. With all the emission stuf and the small exhaust, there's no way it can produce 170 whp. I never saw a manufacturer who wrote whp on his spec, it's always hp at the crank.

I have a 16g turbo and runing at 8psi with a full 2 1/2 exhaust with no cat, and I got 190whp!

I ran the exact same time as the new MS-P when i had just a 50 shot, so im guessing 140-145 to the wheel also, my car is suppose to make 100 to the wheel + 50 shot wet, hmmmmm sounds about right.

The October issue of SCC is out and it has an in-depth article on the MSP and they included some dyno results with it.

whp= 151hp
torque= 156 lb.ft

Both of these numbers are very impressive. A loss of less than 20hp from the driveshaft to the wheels is down right excellent and the torque figure is actually higher than the manufacturers claim. Both should shut up Spoolin for a while anyway.

the "almzkid"

This is pretty funny...Anyone know what the BEGI kit makes??

It retains all emisions equipment, has a similar sized intercooler and only a slightly larger turbo running about the same boost. I'll wait to see what the FM Protege makes before passing any judgement.

But the SCC findings are promising...

almzkid said:
The October issue of SCC is out and it has an in-depth article on the MSP and they included some dyno results with it.

whp= 151hp
torque= 156 lb.ft

Both of these numbers are very impressive. A loss of less than 20hp from the driveshaft to the wheels is down right excellent and the torque figure is actually higher than the manufacturers claim. Both should shut up Spoolin for a while anyway.

the "almzkid"

Actually......:rolleyes: SCC dyno'd 150lb ft not 156. Further more, why would this shut Spoolin up, I remember him saying that they will not get 170 to the wheels and from the looks of the dyno, they didn't get there.

Spoolin
This setup would NEVER make 170 whp from the factory. 170 hp at the crank sounds very correct.....

OK, time for some ranting (rant). The drivetrain loss is very interesting, if you do the calculating, the MS-P only loses 11%, and that percentage only matches up with the horsepower rating not the torque. Hell, it only loses 3% on the torque rating. Knowing this kinda makes me wonder if the manufacturer's claimed numbers are under rated. Could the MS-P actually be pushing 180hp and 175lb ft at the crank instead of the 170hp, 155lb ft rating that is claimed? If you use the 180, 175 then subtract 15% loss, you pretty much get what SCC dyno'd. (rant) Sorry, just had to throw that out there;)

Last edited:
APEXistud said:
OK, time for some ranting (rant). The drivetrain loss is very interesting, if you do the calculating, the MS-P only loses 11%, and that percentage only matches up with the horsepower rating not the torque. Hell, it only loses 3% on the torque rating. Knowing this kinda makes me wonder if the manufacturer's claimed numbers are under rated. Could the MS-P actually be pushing 180hp and 175lb ft at the crank instead of the 170hp, 155lb ft rating that is claimed? If you use the 180, 175 then subtract 15% loss, you pretty much get what SCC dyno'd. (rant) Sorry, just had to throw that out there;)

well we'll never find out the REAL crank power/torque rating from the MS-P now will we? :D

I would definatly say 180

either way, Im making more power than it, so eh, i dont care, haha, cant wait to eat up my 1st one :D

. Both should shut up Spoolin for a while anyway.

hmmm..somebody either is very jealous or ignorant:eek:

As you can see I stated that it hould make 140-145whp...........well......duhhh!
I was off by 6 horsepower please find it in your heart to forgive me.

Maybe this can get the almzkid to shutup:p

And APEXI you are definatly correct. This car is underated from the factory.

I have also dynoed my car again with the 3inch exhaust and clutch w/ some fine tuning. I will post dyno charts when I can get a scanner but the numbers lookreal good:eek:

203 whp @ 6000rpm
213 whp @ 4400rpm

Maybe this will shut up the haters for a while.....;)

Thats close to 240 hp

I will post dyno plots asap but that was at 7.5 psiof boost.

Last edited:
Spoolin.... that's a hell of good numbers!!! (thumb) I love those!!!

Since you have a chance to get your car on a dyno (and I didn't), can you tel me from the dyno chart if your car have a kind flat spot around 5000-5500 rpm?

I can't wait to see those dyno chart :D

Good work Spoolin!!! (thumb)

Thanks Stou!
I plan on posting the results as soon as I can get a scanner.
The chart just climbs llike a ladder all the way to about 6500 rpm then it does not peak as much. Regadless i think that your flat spot is a fuel problem.........nothng else, you are probably running to lean or rich @ that rpm.

As for the numbers that was after 3 dyno runs. Next week I wll go back to extract more hp I would love to get 210 to the wheels!!

spoolinmp3 said:

203 whp @ 6000rpm
213 whp @ 4400rpm

Thats close to 240 hp

7.5 psiof boost.

Wow...impressive #'s...how do you think the drivetrain is holding up? Man...those numbers are like a fine woman...getting me excited. So you are using the link system to tune?

Good luck going for 210 whp.

(thumb)

Back