How-To: Change the Foglight Bulbs

time : ~20 minutes
tools req'd : phillips head screwdriver, or 8mm socket
other req's : new bulbs

i ended up not going with hoen, but with http://www.epimporters.com/products/description.php?II=96 because i wanted super yellow bulbs. i haven't seen then at night, but they're definitely yellow so far. *edit: turns out they're not as yellow as i thought they'd be. still on the hunt*

when doing this, i went completely by the manual, so it's not as bad as you might think.

1) first, there are 3 bolts you need to take out. i started out using a phillips, but i didn't have a small enough screwdriver (it'd hit the ground once the bolt started coming out) so i got my ratchet and used an 8mm socket to get the rest out. there are 3 on each side you need to do.

2) you'll pull the guard out of your way as best you can. it should move enough for you to get your arm in there.

3) find the socket and bulb assembly :
inside.jpg

4) turn the assembly counter-clockwise. it'll be a little difficult at first, but i think that's just so it doesn't come out while driving. i thought it wasn't going to come out at first, but once i put a little force into it, it turned and came out.

5) once the assembly is out, there's a tab you press to pull the bulb out :
socket.jpg

for some reason, there was a bunch of water in the tube that the wires were in and it all come out and got on the socket and bulb so i had to dry that. might be a design issue. just watch out for that.

6) replace the bulb with your new fancy bulb. just slides in until the the tab clicks or whatever.

7) put the socket back in place. there are locking tabs on the socket you need to line up :
outside.jpg

turn it until it locks.

8) replace the bolts.

that's it. took me 20 minutes only because i wasn't sure how much force to apply at first to unscrew the socket assembly. took about 3 minutes to do the second bulb so it's pretty easy. and there's absolutely no reason to have to take the bumper off at all.

you might want to check out what the manual has to say about it all just to be sure about what bolts to take out and stuff. it's on page 8-39.

Weird. My owner's manual said that the bulbs aren't replaceable and that you have to change the whole light assembly! I never bothered to poke my head under there to verify but I'll check it out when I'm installing the air horns.

Thanks for the post!

I've just seen this thread, and I am moving it to the Mazda3 How-to section.

Great writeup, flipped!

hey flipped, do u know anyone that has like HID bulbs for the fogs??? I got the option for the HID when I bought the car, not realizing that the fogs were still yellowish......I know its basically the oppposite of what ur doing, but I would def. appreciate the help...

goldwing2000 said:
Weird. My owner's manual said that the bulbs aren't replaceable and that you have to change the whole light assembly! I never bothered to poke my head under there to verify but I'll check it out when I'm installing the air horns.

Thanks for the post!

I thought the non-replacable light units were the little side blinkers... don't you basically have to yank them out and then plug in a new set?

flipped cracker said:
may want to edit the title and fix "Chang" to "Change: ;) it's kinda weird for me to be somewhere without any permissions.

Well someone fixed it ... my mistake ;)

The sidemarkers have bulbs built in that cant be swapped...you have to get a new sidemarker and connect it to the harness....thats for sure...and apparently the fogs can be replaced

tgv121281 said:
hey flipped, do u know anyone that has like HID bulbs for the fogs??? I got the option for the HID when I bought the car, not realizing that the fogs were still yellowish......I know its basically the oppposite of what ur doing, but I would def. appreciate the help...
http://www.hoen-usa.com/ has some that alot of people have liked. their xenonmatch stuff.

I have a set of xenonmatch bulbs on the way right now.

goldwing, you have a thousand thanks and the virgins will be waiting for you in the afterlife.

Bah... who wants virgins?
I need a woman who knows what the hell she's doing!

(butthump)

Lights Blew After Less Than 2 Days????????

The Xenonmatch bulbs blew ou already, WTF... SOmeone told me that you're not supposed to turn them on in the rain b/c our car doesnt block the water well from the fogs and the bulbs are super sensitive....

Anyone want to "shed some light" on this...(no pun intended, but seriously let me know whats up)

Does anyone know if I could send them back and just tell them they never went...maybe blame it on the shipping??

Did you touch the bulbs with your fingers? That'll make 'em blow out in a heartbeat.

Back