my headlights!!

xxmikkoxx

:
06' Fiji Blue Civic SI
alright my NEPOC people im finally going to paint my headlights tommrow i bought the paint and sandpaper it was cheapper then i though 11$ and change! ill post before and after pics tommrow wish me luck!!

xxmikkoxx said:
alright my NEPOC people im finally going to paint my headlights tommrow i bought the paint and sandpaper it was cheapper then i though 11$ and change! ill post before and after pics tommrow wish me luck!!
I'm so undecided on the headlight thing. It's kinda cold outside, I wonder if it takes a long time to get a bumper off. Hmm maybe I'll go get the bumper off with a friend and then go get the paint and stuff. I gotta get it done this week because since my sister is in CA on spring break I can drive her Eclipse GT ( pinkish colored :( ) while I'm waiting for things to dry and stuff. It looks hot with the black but then I look at my sig pic and I like the way the chrome looks too.

i love the crome too but im doing it becuase i want HIDS and the black will cut the glare down and i have the upper lens covers wich overs the top of my lights so i almost have a decent HID set up

all right people i figured id do a follow post to say its going great! and im in the sanding down the finish part of the project hopefully will be done by 5 or 6
...because im SLOW and ANAL about this project :)

hey guys,

take your time - make sure you put on lots of thin coats instead of one or two think coats too (the paint will start to run - it did a little on my first light that I painted)

It took me 8 hours to do mine...talk about anal...haha...

Jeff
whitemp5seattle

P.S. I suggest this mod to anybody who has a free day and $10. It's the best mod I've ever done to my car. The bumper was kinda intimidating, but didn't take too long. And I'm stupid when it comes to car stuff usually...

So to get the bumper off you take out the plastic screws in the wheelwells and then the ones on the corners of the bumper underneath (like to get to the CAI filter).. and then the stuff on the upper grille and the bumper just.. pulls off? I got all this stuff off yesterday and then my mom came home and was like "uhh what are you doing?" and i said i was just putting a new air filter in (which was true my K&N 7" came in) and then i chickened out because i think she'd be mad if she saw my headlights in the oven. She just left for work I think I'm gonna go for it.. not as cold and rainy today either sweet. 8 hours though, I doubt i'll be able to drive to school tomorrow.. I'll have to roll up in the pink girlmobile and get laughed at.. can't be worse than everyone laughing at my car calling it a station wagon.. oh well I'm bored I'm not gonna chicken out again. Oh yeah once the screws are all out, how much force do you have to put on the bumper? If anyone has experience with teh 7th gen civics, is it harder? I thought I was going to break my sister's friend's civic putting her angel eye headlights in, not fun.

it's simple to do. i was worried, but i said fuk it and they turned out great. try not to get the glue all over the clear plastic though. it's a pain to get off. use a product like goo-gone if you do get any on there. the bumper is simple to remove and the lights are easy to pull apart once heated enough. just pull them outta the oven after 5 minutes intervals and try to pull them apart. if they are still stuck to the casing, put them back in for a few minutes. just follow the How-To and you'll be fine. what color is everyone painting theirs? if you paint them black you will loss a little bit of lighting. the light doesn't project onto the street as far as before. no safety worries though.

these are the pics SO far just finsihed priming the first one...

Attachments

• ME 026.jpg
    ME 026.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 122
ok i have the bumper off, the headlights out, and they are ready to go in the oven.. so i go into the kitchen, open up the oven, and there are two chickens in there being cooked :( 40 minutes left, and then i have to let it cool down cuz it's at 375. :(

EDIT: Oh yeah and when I was taking off the parts attached to the headlight, I only had 1 of the little screws holding the lens on.. on both sides. :|

Last edited:
ok people heres the deal i got about 5 coats of paint...2 primers and 3 black ones
i LIGHTLY sanded the first primer so the second coat would stick better and just painted and blowdried the rest! there all done just trying to re attach the bumper as we speek!

and currently my second headlight is in the oven to be resealed.. and it's like 2 degrees outside and dark so it's gonna suck to put them back on tonight :( maybe i'll just have to wait until tomorrow morning or take the eclipse to school

OK here are the final pics

Attachments

• ME 031.jpg
    ME 031.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 65
  • ME 032.jpg
    ME 032.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ME 033.jpg
    ME 033.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
DONE! i'll post pics later

Attachments

• dsc00280.jpg
    dsc00280.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 68
  • dsc00290.jpg
    dsc00290.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 61
  • dsc00291.jpg
    dsc00291.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 54
  • dsc00288.jpg
    dsc00288.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
haha and we both have silver 5s and live in new england.. i love my JDM-style headlights! I went to a gas station and in the light they look really nice but people would think i was a freak if i started taking pictures of my car at the gas station. With that in mind, the pictures I uploaded suck because I had to use flash in the absolute darkness that is my driveway.

Back