Which is faster? P5 or 1980 RX-7??

bryan_giovana

:
2003 Vivid Yellow P5
Okay....I have a 2003 P5 with an intake and muffler. It's not very fast. It's fun for sure, but I I found a 1980 Rx-7 that I want to buy, but I want to do some more research on it first.

Does anyone have any idea if the RX-7 is going to be faster? I need a project car to take to the dragstrip. Nothing professional, just for fun.

Well I just sold my P5 and have a 1st gen so I'll give ya some info here...

Stock for Stock, the 1st gen is probably a bit slower... BUT, it's *really* easy to get more power out of a 1st gen than it is a P5. (a lot cheaper too)

They have about 100-110 hp stock (and the 80s weigh only about 21-2200lbs) but with a exhaust, better carb and fuel pump you're easy at 160. :)

Lemme know if you have any other questions.. I'll point you to where you want.

My advice? Grab the 1st gen.. they're a ton of fun (cheap toys are the best.)

(scratch) I was pretty young, but I coulda sworn that my step-mom's '79 RX-7 was quicker than my P5 is.

you could do that....

but that would be a nightmare ;)

just swap in a TurboII driveline and save yourself alot of headaches ;)

if its not the turbo version... they make 100 hp, well according to car and driver....

and if its the 100hp version... they are ASSSSS SLOW... (since i can follow it, lol)
my auto, 91 protege LX (factory rating of 125 hp), can stay on its tail... i raced one on my way to work...

BlueMonsta said:
if its not the turbo version... they make 100 hp, well according to car and driver....

and if its the 100hp version... they are ASSSSS SLOW... (since i can follow it, lol)
my auto, 91 protege LX (factory rating of 125 hp), can stay on its tail... i raced one on my way to work...
The 80 RX7 is faster I'd say..I had an 83 GSL which had over 100k on it..Took out the cat and it ran a 15.8..

Speed is relative to the mods you put on the car. My stockport 80 would pull my Mazdaspeed, much less a P5, but I have dual weber carbs, full racingbeat exhaust, holley blue pump & fpr, DLIDFIS, and GSLSE LSD. I probably have 2K total in the car. Cheap and easy to mod.

Still, this is very much apples to oranges. Stock to stock is definitely P5. I say have both.

Back