removing the stereo!!!

cloudycloud

:
mazda 3 5door
I'm not sure if this is a silly thing to post but I just removed the stereo unit last saturday.

I didn't do anything to it, I just wanted to see how hard it would be to access it.

I was VERY surprised at how easy it was!!! almost scared really because it is held in by only four (4) standard screws which are hidden by the Gray (colored) strip which goes over the radio display.

Does anyone think it's worth trying to make the radio MORE theft proof?
using special screws? something else?

for anyone who doesn't know how to do this here you go!

Start by removing the colored strip which is over the radio display.
(best way is to open the glove box and get underneither it, the right end kind of hooks in at an angle while the left end locks in straight. so work your way to the left first and then the right)

once that is removed, you shuold see four (4) standard screws, remove and save them.
You must remove the top air vent piece, just tip up and pull forward gently.
You will have to disconnect the hazard switch plug also

the stereo set can now be removed by pulling forward gently.
Only two cables are connected to the unit, one can be pulled out, the other must be unclipped.

At this point the WHOLE UNIT including DISPLAY should come out of the console.

On mine, there were directions on how to install and uninstall the CD/MP3 player and if you flip it over you can see where the MINIDisc would go (if you don't have one)

That's it!

I did this in hopes of finding a way to install a commercial MP3 player where the MINIDISC would go, but I don't know what to do with that properitary socket on the bottom.

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. thanks

Last edited:
Ford radios are even easier. None of them are really that difficult, actually.

I wouldn't worry about making it more theft-proof. As specialized as this radio system is, why would anyone bother stealing it? (dunno)

goldwing2000 said:
Ford radios are even easier. None of them are really that difficult, actually.

I wouldn't worry about making it more theft-proof. As specialized as this radio system is, why would anyone bother stealing it? (dunno)
Isn't the Mazda3's stereo a Ford radio?

And yeah, I agree. I've never heard of anyone stealing a factory radio.

regardless of what you do, if they want it bad enough they will do anything to get to it. Sometimes, the easier you make it for them the better off you are because of the lateral damage that incurs while they steal your stuff i.e. broken dash/trim pieces.

Ummm - fascinating. That's like one ten thousandth the effort needed to open up the dash and access the stereo/head unit/amp in the 6. Dang!

Bear in mind that you SHOULD disconnect the battery first. A lot of people have fried their displays in the 6 by not doing that before diassembling. Some have cracked the display because they didn't see or know about the funky side bolt that is only accessible after removing the frikkin' glove box!

And yeah - its NOT a Ford stereo. Components are made by Pioneer and others. The MP3 player is usually a Pioneer.

ashutoshsm said:
And yeah - its NOT a Ford stereo. Components are made by Pioneer and others. The MP3 player is usually a Pioneer.
OK...cool. The Protege stereo is a no-name Ford brand (excepting MSP, of course).

Moved to here for now. If pictures are provided in the future then thread will be moved to How-To

Back