oily spark plugs

scwashdc

Been about 20K miles since I changed my plugs. The threads on the plugs in the two cylinders closest to the firewall were covered with oil. Other two were fine.

Car not burning or leaking oil. Runs fine, although a little rough at idle. Just passed Washington DC emissions test.

Any ideas??

1991 Miata; 40k total miles

you might be burning oil, you may have leaking valve seals that is pulling the oil throught the head into your cylendars, the reason it may not have picked it up on the emissions test is because you only really pull oil through the seals hard when you are decelerating with the engine

Are you sure you arent' leaking any oil around the cam cover seal in those spark plug tubes? It's quite common for DOHC B-series engines to do so. Grab a flash light and have a look to see if there is any oil down there. Oil on the threads leads me to believe that a bit of oil has poolled around the spark plug seating area.

kcbhiw said:
Are you sure you arent' leaking any oil around the cam cover seal in those spark plug tubes? It's quite common for DOHC B-series engines to do so. Grab a flash light and have a look to see if there is any oil down there. Oil on the threads leads me to believe that a bit of oil has poolled around the spark plug seating area.
I had HUGE problem with my valve cover gasket leaking into the sparkplug areas. I went through 3 gaskets before i just used "pookie" out of the tube. This is most likely the problem.

Two possible causes for oily spark plugs

I have a 91 with 170k on it; I just rebuilt the head for similar reasons. Since your miata has so few miles your seals should be your only problem. The bad news is that the rest of your seals are pushing 14 years and may have dry rotted as well. Seals to look out for are: cam angle sensor o-ring, cam-seals, and crank-seal. Before you attempt to change your crank seal you should read this, it only applies to 90-91 miata's.

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

The other possibility is that you have put on an after market exhaust and did not properly torque your manifold bolts. I found this condition on my miata when I pulled the head off. My cylinder 3 and 4 (the ones you describe) had burnt valves. The bolts on those cylinders are harder to get at, and I must have been feeling lazy at that point in the day or thought I got them down tight. If this is the case the extra heat would harden the stem seals in those cylinders prematurely and cause the oil leak. But worse than that, it burnt my valves on those two cylinders. I performed leak down tests before and after the head rebuild and my compression went from 80-90psi to 170psi on my 3 and 4 cylinders. I would suggest you have a leak down test preformed on you engine. If your valves are burnt, you will hear air escaping from the intake manifold and possibly the exhaust when you perform a leak down test. If you don't have access to a leak down test, pull of you exhaust and look at the gasket, if you see black or carbon stains on gasket around the port leading out to the edge of the manifold, your bolts where loose and you had an slight exhaust leak.

jwatts said:
I have a 91 with 170k on it; I just rebuilt the head for similar reasons. Since your miata has so few miles your seals should be your only problem. The bad news is that the rest of your seals are pushing 14 years and may have dry rotted as well. Seals to look out for are: cam angle sensor o-ring, cam-seals, and crank-seal. Before you attempt to change your crank seal you should read this, it only applies to 90-91 miata's.

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

The other possibility is that you have put on an after market exhaust and did not properly torque your manifold bolts. I found this condition on my miata when I pulled the head off. My cylinder 3 and 4 (the ones you describe) had burnt valves. The bolts on those cylinders are harder to get at, and I must have been feeling lazy at that point in the day or thought I got them down tight. If this is the case the extra heat would harden the stem seals in those cylinders prematurely and cause the oil leak. But worse than that, it burnt my valves on those two cylinders. I performed leak down tests before and after the head rebuild and my compression went from 80-90psi to 170psi on my 3 and 4 cylinders. I would suggest you have a leak down test preformed on you engine. If your valves are burnt, you will hear air escaping from the intake manifold and possibly the exhaust when you perform a leak down test. If you don't have access to a leak down test, pull of you exhaust and look at the gasket, if you see black or carbon stains on gasket around the port leading out to the edge of the manifold, your bolts where loose and you had an slight exhaust leak.

Thanks for the informative replies.

I thought I'd start with easiest fix, so I changed the valve cover gasket. I have yet to pull the 3rd and 4th plugs to see if oil is still collecting around the threads. I'm a little afraid to check...

My '91 Miata is a later model and is above the VIN cutoff for the crank seal problem.

I do worry, though, that I'm in for problems someday because the car is getting old--so am I, for that matter--and hasn't been driven much.

The Miata has been a joy over the years. Practically trouble-free. Garage-kept since birth so it still looks great. No wrecks. Factory hardtop, a/c, LSD, and NO POWER STEERING.

Wow, everyone beat me to it. I was going to say the valve cover spark plug seals too.

:) Great info guys!

Back