Heinous Clunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odysseus

My new 3 periodically makes a sound that brings a tear to my eye. I've heard it a couple of times, once during wheel hop and another time when I hit a really sharp (abrupt) yet small bump. It almost sounds like it is hitting the bump stops, but it is a really odd "hollow" sound. It's quite loud, and is more of a popping noise than a clunk. That's a crappy description, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard the noise, or has any theories about its origin.

Odysseus said:
My new 3 periodically makes a sound that brings a tear to my eye. I've heard it a couple of times, once during wheel hop and another time when I hit a really sharp (abrupt) yet small bump. It almost sounds like it is hitting the bump stops, but it is a really odd "hollow" sound. It's quite loud, and is more of a popping noise than a clunk. That's a crappy description, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard the noise, or has any theories about its origin.

This has happened to me a few times only when im turning and my tires are spining other than that i havent heard it.

your noise...

Hey,

this noise, is it coming from the rear? Cause I have a series of popping noises when I go over bumps and it all comes from the rear. And it only does it when the temp outside goes below 40 degrees. I have torn out all the cargo trays and covers and tire jack and anything back there. Greased up the hatch lock and striker with silicone and the only thing left it could be is the shocks or gas-hatch supports that hold the door up.

All Mazda 3s models do this. Remember they have 17' rims that are VERY VERY LIGHT. Therefore when you go over a bump at any speed, since the suspension is rather sporty the wheel will not readily fall, thus causing the car to stump, and causing that ugly hollow sound you are describing. Mine is mostly on the front, but you can also get it in the back, although the previous guys problem sounds like something different. Keep in mind this car has a pretty stiff suspension, so you need to keep this under consideration.

I have a huge clunk-wham on mine under hard acceleration while turning from a stop (like hammering it out of a parking lot or off a side street). I talked to the mechanic yesterday and he said that it's one of the engine dampers and Mazda did that on purpose so we wouldn't beat on our cars. :D

Maybe he's full of crap but it sounds about right. Maybe the same thing for you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back