Troubleshooting 87 RX7

Dexter

Banned
Contributor
hey, im posting this up for my friend with an 87 N/A RX7.

sometimes the engine floods and will not start unless you pull one of the fuel fuses ( i cant remember if he said injector or pump).

when the engine does finally start, it sounds like a go kart with really rough idle and he says he can only go about 20 mph.

he replaced the spark plugs and wires hoping to fix the problem, but no luck.

does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

is he putting the fuse back in before starting? pulling it out will unflood it but it needs to be in to get fuel to the engine once it starts

Mint87RX7 said:
is he putting the fuse back in before starting? pulling it out will unflood it but it needs to be in to get fuel to the engine once it starts
yeah...

once unflodded the engine will start, just runs like ass.

not timing or spark...gotta be fuel. somethin.

ATF fluid where? its a manual.

compression is fine, i dont remember the numbers, but he said it was fine.

it could be one of many things , timing is way off, fuel filter is cloged, hooked up the spark plug wires wrong, you use atf in the motor to get the comp. up-

10 bux. says its the fuel injector resistor pack. Mine did the same thing one day on the way home from work. I thought at first it lost compression, it sounded like it was running on one rotor. One of the old guys at work told me to try it (he had a couple lying around) sure enough he was right.

Mazda dealer says the engine is bad. The students at the local tech school poured brake cleaner in the throttle body in an attempt to fire it up - Dex and I thought carb cleaner was the trick....so whats with the brake cleaner? now the engine is seized. what would it take (parts and $ wise) to rebuild the engine? would it be better to just replace the engine altogether?

chinaman said it right. use a funnel or something to pour atf into the rotor housings....let sit for 24 hours..then manually turn the eccentric shaft about 1/3 of the way with a wrench.....repeat atf trick for the next rotor chamber and so forth until all three have been done. then make sure to change the plugs and oil after it has been started.

Latest posts

Back