Front Oil Seal Differences?

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
Is there a possibility that there are any differences between front oil seals for short nose [crank] Miatas? For the life of me, I cannot get the seal in without destroying it. I'm getting a bit frustrated. The engine and oil pump are that of a '90 while the crank is from a '91. I never had this problem with my other '90 Miata, or any other that I've replaced for that matter. I've made sure to pre-lube both the oil pump mating surface and the crankshaft "journal". Please, any suggestions are welcome.

they shouldn't be very different since the engines are the same. they didn't change the design of the crank until '94 right ?

Yeah, I agree with that book :)

If you've got a short-nose crank from an early 1991 motor, you should use the seal for the short-nose crank. There's only one. If it won't fit, you've got the wrong seal.

Keith

I finally got the seal in a while ago. I was just making sure that there weren't any slight differences between the short nose crank seals. The fit was unusually tight. A bit of rubber was still sheered off during installation, but I beleive it'll make a good seal. If not, I'll live with it.

Back