Full Racing Beat SP Exhaust (bling!)
15" Panasports (bling-bling!) w/ 195/205 Dunlops
Speedo from 83 model (reads to 130 mph or whatever,
instead of 85mph)
Removed rats nest emissions
Dual Alt Pulley
Bigass front oil cooler
etc, etc, etc. - tons more

Here's the only issue-it is sitting in a parking garage in Austin (i already checked her out) waiting to be fixed. The car is a steal for what she's got under her skirt, but maybe you's rotor nuts can gimme some hints on where to start when I go to fix her.

The seller said these events happened that caused her to sit where she is for 2 months:

I *think* it lost compression on
one rotor. To be honest, I'm not even sure - it could
be a damn bad coil for all I know. I was cruising
through traffic to work with the AC cranking several
months ago (oh yeah, it has cold R12 AC) when it just
lost it's mojo. I limped it to work, where my
girlfriend dropped me off (we carpool) and she drove
it to her work. She parked it, and it wouldn't start
at the end of the day. I really haven't touched it
since, and it's just sitting in her parking garage
still.
Thoughts? A friend who has a 3 rotor fd and has had many 1st gens said to check the compression by removing one spark plug, removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking it, listening for 3 distinct "whooshing" sounds (for each chamber).

Last edited:
Diane, I would have your local mazda dealership (if you trust them) preform a compression test. They will be able to give you exact numbers for both rotors and this only costs $100. Whenever I purchase a used car I do a complete freshening no matter when the last service was. All fluids, oil, tranny, coolant, PS, brake fluid, everything....it's just better to know for sure than to guess. I also replace all belts and houses. Have the brakes miked (mic'd) to make sure they are within spec and the pads are thick enough. Replace plugs and wires, replace air filter, REPLACE FUEL FILTER ASAP.

buy my shiftknob!! I can't believe you didn't get one last time we did the group buy. It will fit the MX-5 and it'll fit the RX7 as long as you have the S2 shifter. Let me know if you want in!

Turbo Matty P said:
Diane, I would have your local mazda dealership (if you trust them) preform a compression test. They will be able to give you exact numbers for both rotors and this only costs $100. Whenever I purchase a used car I do a complete freshening no matter when the last service was. All fluids, oil, tranny, coolant, PS, brake fluid, everything....it's just better to know for sure than to guess. I also replace all belts and houses. Have the brakes miked (mic'd) to make sure they are within spec and the pads are thick enough. Replace plugs and wires, replace air filter, REPLACE FUEL FILTER ASAP.
Oh, for sure I'll ne doing that. I have owned/purchased MANY old cars before I got my newer ones. Those are basic preventative maintenance items. You should never assume the maintenance has been kept up with on a used car. :D

buy my shiftknob!! I can't believe you didn't get one last time we did the group buy. It will fit the MX-5 and it'll fit the RX7 as long as you have the S2 shifter. Let me know if you want in!
muhhhahahhaa!! must spend da mOOney on the 7 now--getting her running well first.

"Welcome new rotary owner! Prepare for your wallet to be drained faster than Ari Yallon's 1/4 mile times..." :D

Roywhitep5 said:
you will be the queen of autocross
Yahhh! But here's the thing..the car will be maintained/cared for by me, but she'll be Greg's car. It's only fair because he wants a real sports car and to keep the Pro as a daily driver. as long as I get to steal it for autocrosses, I'll be happy. :D

Sweet...oldie but goodie (thumb)

What are the hp and tq specs on that rex?

Didn't you have an old Mazda rotary truck at some point? Any updates?

Excellent find!

Looks PRISTINE!

you'll greatly enjoy them...

(and what is this about shift knobs? got some cool ones?)

Antoine said:
Sweet...oldie but goodie (thumb)

What are the hp and tq specs on that rex?

Didn't you have an old Mazda rotary truck at some point? Any updates?
Don't know, but I will find out if the owner has dyno'ed it. It's an autocross machine with a 12A though.

Oh, the REPU? I had to sell that truck before we moved to Kentucky because we had no way to transport a third vehicle 1,200 miles. See, the miata was on the trailer that Greg was hauling with the rental truck and I was driving the Pro5. meh, If I had known we were going to move back to Texas, I would have stored it somewhere at my mom's or something. Oh well...

rx7gslse said:
Excellent find!

Looks PRISTINE!

you'll greatly enjoy them...

(and what is this about shift knobs? got some cool ones?)
Oh, she is NICE! Gonna be the nicest fb in Lubbock! ;)
I have always wanted a 1st gen RX-7. My favorite toy when I was a kid was a 1/64 silver 1st geb RX-7 (shows how old I am :p)

The shift knobs Turbo Matty P was talking about was a group buy (I think) on rx7club.com. It was for a japan model RX-8 shift knob. The have a red lit shift pattern on the top of the knob. V. kool (thumb)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
dude, you must be a mind reader! that's exactly what we want to do! :D
Strike that...Greg is wanting a 3 rotor in her now. heh...$$$ go bye bye, but whatever he wants.

We did get her up here to Lubbock last week, much thanx to my 3 rotor bud's brand new Excursion.

We couldn't get her running, due to a very low battery, but we did pull the plugs from each housing to listen for the compression (ghetto compression test, but it worked). Unfortunately we did hear a noticible non-existance of compression on two chambers of the front rotor (that=one lost apex seal). :(

Time for a rebuild and a street port. That should tide us over until we have enough money for the 3 rotor swap. :eek:

Everything else is pretty much track ready on the car, save some anti-roll bars.

Man! she sits as low as the miata!!
rx7_akio.jpg

damn I need to wash my cars...:p

Last edited:
Sweet car. Brings back memories of my Silver '82 GSL with the maroon leather interior. I wound up swapping in the 13B streetport w/Holley Projection and it flew after that. One thing to check is to make sure the rear rocker panels above the wheels are not rusted out. Almost every 1st gen i've seen has this problem. I had a quick cure which was tubbing the frame, which also allowed me to run wider drag strip tires in the rear. I also had the same style Panasports on mine...they are sweet looking wheels IMHO.

Oh, yes. I made SURE to check for rust. She is rust free. I paid a hefty price for her ($1700) even though she needs a rebuild just for her perfect body. She's already had a resto-job.

Most people say "you coulda bought a running one for the same price. it would have been a little rougher though..."
Trust me, you're better to find a non-running old car in excellent condition body-wise, than to try restoring it. Mechanics are more easily cured. :)

I saw a Burgundy/reddish one just like yours for sale in my area today ....

To bady I am finishing up my turbo project or I would have 3 frigin mazda's ...

Back