some mild TII upgrades...

JDuncan

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #1552
tii001.jpg

tii003.jpg

Strut bar, junkyard E-fan, and a bonez intake. All in a days work. (wiggle)

ELEmental59437 said:
That engine bay is screaming for some Simple Green.. looks good though.

I won't disagree. In my defense, I did buy the car in a salvage yard for $250. I have not taken the time to detail the engine bay yet. Putting some nicer go fast goodies in there may inspire me to do so, though.

I have not compression tested the motor, though the car is making very good power. Its a shame that the original owner took it to a boinger mechanic. I respect that it was the same mechanic that he had been taking his cars to for 20 years. Guy just didn't understand rotary motors... Due to the car needing "tappets" and fuel injectors, the owner let it sit for several years. The "tappet" repair was goint to cost $1600. He eventually ended up donating it to a local tech school where they used it to demonstrate oil changes and coolant flushes (we won't even talk about how clean the fluids were... A++). From there, some shady car dealer got it to try and put back on the road and never got anywhere. I dunno why. Ended up in the salvage yard. I don't know how long it was there, but it couldn't have been long as the only piece missing was the shift knob. When I got it home, we played with it and turned it over. Cranking it with the leading plugs out produced strong even pulses. Since I believed the motor to be bad, orginally, this was not what I expected. The next thing I checked was spark. This, too, came up good. With air and fire sorted, that only left fuel. Sure enough, no noise from the fuel pump when being cranked. Replaced it with a fuel pump from a 95 Eclipse Turbo my friend had laying in his garage, and bam... Running idling motor. It now has an FD pump in it. The clutch didn't last long once it was going, so I have had to put a clutch in her. I traded the GSLSE in the sig to another rotorhead for a full RB exhaust. With the exhaust on, the new intake installed, and the removal of the air pump and fan, I have freed up a bit of HP and the car is much different to drive now. Zoom zoom.

As stated before, I got very lucky.

The day it came home from the salvage yard...
site1006.jpg

site1007.jpg

And a pic with it cleaned up and running. (albeit with a little smoke under the hood due to a life of spilt fluids on the manifolds...)
james_tii_1.jpg

when you insatll the rb exhaust you'll need the fcd so you can boost a little more

If you look closely at the first pic of the upgrades, you will see what you speak of. :)

I never took the time to identify it. I just assumed it was some kind of monza crap. The twin exits on dual exhaust looks like crap on a fc IMHO.

Back