Mazdaspeed's price and Performance specs!!!!

I'd have to say that those numbers are overly optimistic considering that no one has had the chance to test drive the MS-P. Callaway themselves have even admitied that one would be hard pressed to run anything less than 7 sec. With saying that, lets all play the guessing game again. I say the MS-P will sprint from 0-60 in 7.2 to 7.7 these are just my numbers.

no, not with the MS-P being turbocharged with LSD and a new heavy duty and clutch pressure plate to handle the increase horsepower from the Turbocharging system. Let's think about it. hmmmmm...........

1. T-25 ball bearing turbochared by callaway
2. (LSD) limited slip differenrtial by tochigi fuji Sangyokk super limited slip differential assited by larger 24mm driveshafts
3. heavy duty and clutch pressure plate.
4.extra 30ponies
5.extra 15 lbs-ft torque.

if i'm only going to get from 0-60 in 7.2-7.7sec over the MP3's 8.2-8.3sec 0-60mph i'm sorry that's plain freekin week by callaway. a whole second or 0.5-0.6sec that's freekin weak. I'm expecting at least a 6.5-6.9sec 0-60 by the MS-P IMO.

Bro do you know who you're talking to.:rolleyes: You must have missed what I had posted. "Callaway themselves have admitted that it will be very rare to crack sub 7's in the MS-P." I think I'll go with what they've said. Sure you might hear about someone doing it, but I think it will be rare to see it printed in a magazine or review.

If the MS-P were to get numbers like that, it would dead on with the RSX Type S in the 0-60 and I doubt that will happen. But for a better comparison, take a look at the Sentra Spec V's whp and torque numbers. 141-144 to the wheels and 150-153lb ft of torque to the wheels. The Spec V does 0-60 in 7.4 As for what the MS-P will have to the wheels will remain to be seen, but since were estimating lets just use the numbers we are given so far. 170 hp and 155lb ft of torque both measured at the crank. Subtracting drivetrain percentages brings you down to 144hp at the wheels (if where lucky) and 132lb ft of torque (again if where lucky). Do also take note that the Sentra Spec V is lighter than the MS-P. Spec V 2743lbs vs MS-P 2844lbs and the Spec V also has a limited slip. Again the weight difference is only 100lbs but lighter should be faster as proven in the latest issue of SCC mag. The article is called "Free Speed" and is pretty informative.

Okay, so now do you catch my drift....?;) Sure I'm not a test driver for any major car magazine. But, my method of getting my times is pretty accurate. At least for me it has been.

Last edited:
I have ordered a MS protege and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I can't believe the number of negative posts surrounding this new car. The car has essentially taken all of the positive aspects of the MP3, added a turbo, LSD, Heavy duty clutch and pressure plate, bigger tires, 24mm driveshaft vs 22mm (MP3), 27mm stab. bar vs 25mm ( MP3), new 450 watt stereo and amp vs. no amp and only 280 watt stereo (MP3), .6" and .7" larger brakes (f/r) vs. the MP3, Sparco pedals, ABS and a short shift kit, and all of this for under $26,000cdn ( dealer quote and confirmed my Mazda Canada). That is only $2,205 cdn more expensive than the MP3 was. The turbo alone is worth that. I wish the car had 200+hp to and I wish they would have stuck with the yellow and blue exterior colours as well. The rims on the MP3 are also nicer than the MS protege, but nothing is perfect. Plus Mazdaspeed will be making a B.O valve, Boost controller and a cat-back exhaust , specifically for this car that will give it at least 200hp. The 6.9 sec 0-60 time has been around for a while. It is included in the package I got from Erin Mills Mazda when I put the deposit down, it is on the Canadian test driver web site and also the link mentioned above. That is three sources, Find me the site where Callaway claims it will be tough to keep it under 7sec? Its not on any of the Mazdaspeed links or the Callaway site itself. On another note the GT-s celica does it in 6.8 sec and its only 180 hp (+10hp with no turbo), the sentra spec-v from day one has had its horsepower figures vigorously disputed by Turbo mag. and SCC mag. SCC even went as far as to say the engine had no noticeable speed advantage over the base se. I for one can't wait for my new orange rocket and wish some on this site would see the glass half-full not half-empty for once.

I tend to think as well that a time of about 7.2 - 7.4 second 0 - 60 time is realistic...if it does do better tho, that'll be fantastic.

Does anybody have any info on what sort of RPM band the turbo will be kicking in at? I'm just wondering if it will be of good use on the autoX circuit. I know from watching Civics that they sometimes have some difficulty getting into their high rpm powerband and I know that if/when I get a custom turbo, I'd like the meat of the turbo to be kicking in at as low RPM as possible.

Well if the gearing is properly matched with the power band then yes, the MS-P can dip under 7 in the 0-60. But lets, not be overly optimistic and don't let all the extra goodies go to your head. That's all I'm trying to say. If you study up and take a look at the power and weight of the vehicle just like I have been posting, you will see how I came to this conclusion. Like I said before, my methods of estimating are usually right from my experience, but we'll just all have to wait and see what'll happen. ;)

how do u explain this

explain where the Beetle Turbo 1.8T can hit 6.8-6.9sec 0-60mph with only 150hp Turbo with 155lb-fts of torque also weighing more than the MS-P at 2900-3000lbs. The bettle doesn't have (LSD) or Heavy duty clutch and pressure plate. I guess will just have to wait and see who's right and who's not. IMO i think the price is at 19,700 seing as they have 19,995(estimated). and the 0-60 being 6.9sec(estimated), i think it'll be around 6.5-6.9sec 0-60mph.

almzkid said:
Plus Mazdaspeed will be making a B.O valve, Boost controller and a cat-back exhaust , specifically for this car that will give it at least 200hp.

where did you get this info from? a BOV and boost controller were things i wanted to add after getting a Ms protege but was weary cuz of the warranty deal, MS products would be awesome!

almzkid said:
I have ordered a MS protege and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.....and all of this for under $26,000cdn ( dealer quote and confirmed my Mazda Canada).

what is that in USD?
i used a currency converter online and it came out to 17 and change so i know i must be doing something wrong....someone point out my foolishness please

Good points slug420...All I've seen are post from members in Canada who have reserved a MS...has ANYONE in the UNITED STATES tried to reserve a MS? Please post your info if you find out anything...thanks.

I checked an online converter also and got:

26,000.00 CAD
Canada Dollars = 17,221.30 USD
United States Dollars

I'm curious...would it be possible to purchase a MS in Canada and legally drive it in say SoCal? My local dealer does not have pricing info yet...but when I mentioned what price I've been hearing...the sales guy (he was familiar with the MS) sounded shocked...like it was going to be sold for more...meaning at least this dealer is not going to let it go for a decent price...my sense is those bastards (local dealers) are going to want at least 21k or more...regardless of actual price. I bet SoCal dealers markup more than in other states...hmmm

If any dealer people are reading thisprove me wrongprove to me you guys arent going to stick lo-jack and other BS so you can sell it an un-just markup.

Re: how do u explain this

tritonheat1 said:
explain where the Beetle Turbo 1.8T can hit 6.8-6.9sec 0-60mph with only 150hp Turbo with 155lb-fts of torque also weighing more than the MS-P at 2900-3000lbs. The bettle doesn't have (LSD) or Heavy duty clutch and pressure plate. I guess will just have to wait and see who's right and who's not. IMO i think the price is at 19,700 seing as they have 19,995(estimated). and the 0-60 being 6.9sec(estimated), i think it'll be around 6.5-6.9sec 0-60mph.

Just to clear things up a bit. My sources show 7.1-7.3 0-60 for the Beetle and the actual torque is 162lb ft not 155. Also take note that the torque kicks in quite a bit sooner than the MS-P (Beetle 162lb ft @ 2200rpms vs. MS-P 155lb ft @ 4500 rpms). So if the Beetle seems a little quicker to 60 it should be.

As far as the boost controller thing. If you were to get that, you would definately void your warranty. No dealership would honor the warranty if you upped the boost and blew the motor. Common sense should tell you that. Just my .02 cents USD

Antoine said:
Good points slug420...All I've seen are post from members in Canada who have reserved a MS...has ANYONE in the UNITED STATES tried to reserve a MS? Please post your info if you find out anything...thanks.

I checked an online converter also and got:

26,000.00 CAD
Canada Dollars = 17,221.30 USD
United States Dollars

I'm curious...would it be possible to purchase a MS in Canada and legally drive it in say SoCal? My local dealer does not have pricing info yet...but when I mentioned what price I've been hearing...the sales guy (he was familiar with the MS) sounded shocked...like it was going to be sold for more...meaning at least this dealer is not going to let it go for a decent price...my sense is those bastards (local dealers) are going to want at least 21k or more...regardless of actual price. I bet SoCal dealers markup more than in other states...hmmm

If any dealer people are reading thisprove me wrongprove to me you guys arent going to stick lo-jack and other BS so you can sell it an un-just markup.

Antoine I think the canadian dealers are somewhat drunk, they can't decide on MSRP. Once I even heard something stupid like 30K+ CAD, as if I should pay more for that car than the WRX?!?
At any rate we are looking probably at a few thousand CAD more than the mp3 that was at 24KCAD. So I think, 26, or 27KCAD is about right. Someone posted a nice thread about what it would cost to import a car, and on the P5, you saved approx 2K USD.
But the catch is you must pay it all on the spot since a canadian car will only be financed/leased with mazda canada credit. At any rate, I don't know about voiding the warranty, I haven't checked the details but it would somewhat surprise me.

We Canadians in most cases get our vehicles discounted if you do a direct US$/C$ translation. The 24,500 MSRP on the MP3 works out to around 16,200 in US funds.

It's actually be a problem with a lot of dealers especially as you go into the higher markets(I find SUV and high end sports cars have the greatest difference) because Canadian brokers will buy the car and ship it down to the US people. The Canadians make a big profit by selling the car and getting as an example getting paid 17,500 for an MP3 which means almost 2000 Canadian profit, while the US buyer gets to save big money over MSRP.

At least in a lot of cases I've seen the warranty is actually still legitimate, it would just be transferred to the nearest dealer...same deal would happen if for instance I had to move to another city or sell my car..doesn't void the warranty.

Some dealers are now making a "no sell" clause in their sales agreements so that you have to wait time before selling it and stuff like that to prevent this all from happening as much.

Importing from Canada is usually a great deal. My brother-in-law brings a truck from Canada to sell in Utah every time he comes down; usually every 4 months or so. They make 2 to 3 thousand American dollars profit each time, minus the $500 CDN he pays to have the speedometer switched over and all the paperwork.

For a new vehicle, it usually has to be driven for 6 months in Canada before it can be imported to the states. That's how he explained it to me, at least. He usually brings down the previous year's models.

Could any of us wait 6 months for a car we had already paid for?

I don't think so!

Chris

grrr....

why dont they just sell it in the Us for 17 USD like they are in canada for 17USD? then there would be no question. It would be in a totally diff category of cars, and ppl would compare it to the se-r spec v and the neon SXT and focus and crap instead of the WRX. And IMO its better than the spec v because of the stereo and interior, and better than the focus cuz, well, its a focus, and better than the SXT, cuz its a neon, and no one with any self respect would be caught driving one. Ill still buy one for low 20s and i still think its a good deal but i wouldnt mind savin 5 or so....

oh yea, and have any of you prospective buyers checked out insurance? what about you mp3 owners? I went to price insurance for a mazdaspeed protege on progressive and all i saw was protege, no checkbox or anything for it being ltd edition mazdaspeed.

When I first got my insurance, they actually had it classed as a ES 2.0. They then figured it out that there something called an MP3, and decided to jack up the price some :(

I'd say, the same thing will happen to the mazdaspeed owners at first. They won't know what to class it as until it's been out for 8-12 months.

As for the price thing. That's the way it's ALWAYS been for Canadian vs American cars. it's not just a straight conversion. There's another catch to it that I've never been able to figure out and no car salesperson I've talked to has been able to give me a straight answer as to why.

I ain't complaining :)

maybe that's why MAzda was to cheap to include Mp3 mats in our cars. F@#$@$#ers.

I am classed as a regular protege. On the MS I will say it is a "Mazda Protege" since technically it is.
Besides, they base themselves not only on the model, but on the final bill, and since that is slightly higher than the ES/P5 that is sufficient.

enry

I'm guessing you pay a lot more up there for insurance then we do. 875.00/yr gets me full coverage for me and the woman. That's with me having one speeding ticket last year, and her running two stop signs but no accidents....yet.

We all get robbed by insurance companies, but I guess were a little more fortunate some others.

Back