Older RX-7 possible 1979??

bryan_giovana

:
2003 Vivid Yellow P5
I have a customer that might sell me his RX-7. The guy isn't sure what year it is. He said maybe a 69-70, but someone on the forum said that the first stateside RX-7 was only in 79.

Anyway, would it be difficult finding parts for this car?
Is it boostable? The body is in decent shape, but the interior needs some work. They think it runs, but it's been awhile.

Any idea on what I could offer for it?

Ahh, the first gens... That old, I don't think it could be a GSL-SE, so it wouldn't have the 13B... I think I've seen some people supercharge the older 12A's, but other than that, boost isn't "readily available" in kit form, from what I've gathered. A lot of them are all engine, though... The first generation RX-7 was between 1971-1985, so it could be newer than 1979. Parts, like most RX-7's, are readily available, through places such as Mazdatrix, and Racing Beat.

flat_black said:
Ahh, the first gens... That old, I don't think it could be a GSL-SE, so it wouldn't have the 13B... I think I've seen some people supercharge the older 12A's, but other than that, boost isn't "readily available" in kit form, from what I've gathered. A lot of them are all engine, though... The first generation RX-7 was between 1971-1985, so it could be newer than 1979. Parts, like most RX-7's, are readily available, through places such as Mazdatrix, and Racing Beat.

79-85.. not 71

Just for the record, if it is a 79, then there are a lot of things that you are gonna want to change if you get it. You will want to replace the front calipers with ones from an 80, as the 79 used a wedge design that is very prone to failure. You cannot use brake parts from 81-85, as they use a different thread pitch on the lines. Also, you will want to pilfer the electric ignition of the newer 1st gens. On this, you would preferably use the ignition from an 81-85. While the 80 is electric ignition, it uses ignitors that fail more frequently and are much harder to come by. The stock 79 ignition is still a points setup... If you can find one in a junkyard nearby, pull the rear out of an 81-82 GSL model to get rear disc brakes and a clutch type LSD. It is a bolt in swap but will require you to pull the back part of the ebrake cables and getting either a custom soft brakeline from the chassis line to the rear, or you could just buy the stainless line kit from Mazdatrix which can be ordered to facilitate the swap.

One good thing is that the 79 has the best flowing intake manifold due to the least amount of emissions control crap. The car can make good power once the thermal reactor is ditched in favor of a good RB header and presilencer.

How much to pay is really gonna be a matter of condition and how badly they want to move it. I paid $100 for my 80. It had sat for 3 years due to what had been diagnosed by a boinger mechanic as a blown engine. The owners were about to have it picked up by a salvage yard. It only had 52000 miles on it, and incidentally, was only flooded. You need to learn about MMO. It is your friend. Post or PM any specific questions you have and I will try to help you.

One last note, beware of rust in the rear wheel wells that travels into what would be the package bin area of the later cars, but is dead space in the 79 and 80. It is a major problem area that you should be aware of...

Good luck,
James

turbo 13b swap will get you in the 12's easy, they are very fun cars, i left you some links on the other post- chris

Well, here's some:

R-100:
456164_2_full.jpg

RX-2:
469493_15_full.jpg

RX-3:
5997.jpg

RX-4:
ac8287.jpg

RX-5:
30augrandycosmo1small.jpg

RX-7 1st Gen:
415031_7_full.jpg

RX-7 2nd Gen:
228606_21_full.jpg

RX-7 3rd Gen:
1286-1.jpg

Last edited:
if it's in real good cond. it will fetch 3000-5000 g's
that is out of a sports car market mag. dec. 03 vol 15 #11
i own a 79 gs with a bunch of upgrades
i posted a add a while ago, it off the market BTW.

C Rae said:
if it's in real good cond. it will fetch 3000-5000 g's
that is out of a sports car market mag. dec. 03 vol 15 #11
i own a 79 gs with a bunch of upgrades
i posted a add a while ago, it off the market BTW.

That's a might bit higher than prices seen in teh "real world"

but yes.. Cool cars. :) I love my 84

aDSCF0019.JPG

JDuncan prety much covered the main points... Fun cars, easy to screw with, parts aren't that hard to find..

Get it & enjoy!

-Eric

JDuncan said:
Just for the record, if it is a 79, then there are a lot of things that you are gonna want to change if you get it. You will want to replace the front calipers with ones from an 80, as the 79 used a wedge design that is very prone to failure. You cannot use brake parts from 81-85, as they use a different thread pitch on the lines. Also, you will want to pilfer the electric ignition of the newer 1st gens. On this, you would preferably use the ignition from an 81-85. While the 80 is electric ignition, it uses ignitors that fail more frequently and are much harder to come by. The stock 79 ignition is still a points setup... If you can find one in a junkyard nearby, pull the rear out of an 81-82 GSL model to get rear disc brakes and a clutch type LSD. It is a bolt in swap but will require you to pull the back part of the ebrake cables and getting either a custom soft brakeline from the chassis line to the rear, or you could just buy the stainless line kit from Mazdatrix which can be ordered to facilitate the swap.

One good thing is that the 79 has the best flowing intake manifold due to the least amount of emissions control crap. The car can make good power once the thermal reactor is ditched in favor of a good RB header and presilencer.

How much to pay is really gonna be a matter of condition and how badly they want to move it. I paid $100 for my 80. It had sat for 3 years due to what had been diagnosed by a boinger mechanic as a blown engine. The owners were about to have it picked up by a salvage yard. It only had 52000 miles on it, and incidentally, was only flooded. You need to learn about MMO. It is your friend. Post or PM any specific questions you have and I will try to help you.

One last note, beware of rust in the rear wheel wells that travels into what would be the package bin area of the later cars, but is dead space in the 79 and 80. It is a major problem area that you should be aware of...

Good luck,
James
It is only now that I can truely appreciate your expertise in the rotary dept. :D Good advice.

Nice sig BTW. (thumb)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
It is only now that I can truely appreciate your expertise in the rotary dept. :D Good advice.

Nice sig BTW. (thumb)
Expertise may be a bit strong. Lets call it trial by fire.(wink)

Back