How much have YOU crammed in your miata?

Mazdaspeedgirl

Resident Autocrosser
:
99 10AE MX-5 | 2016.5 CX-5 GT
Come on, I know some have had to resort to extreme measures at times. :D

I've fit a computer, 5 pillows, 10 pair of shoes, two bags of clothes, two suitcases, and my bucket of carwashing stuff while driving it. :D
lol@me you should have seen me driving it. Oh wait, you couldn't see me driving it! (rofl2)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
Come on, I know some have had to resort to extreme measures at times. :D

I've fit a computer, 5 pillows, 10 pair of shoes, two bags of clothes, two suitcases, and my bucket of carwashing stuff while driving it. :D
lol@me you should have seen me driving it. Oh wait, you couldn't see me driving it! (rofl2)

Packing (cramming) a Miata is an art, I always say. When heading to an auto-x, I fit four wheels/tires (Hoosier 205/55/14), ratchet set, a hydraulic floor jack, toolbox, small cooler, four 18" traffic cones, and a helmet into my Miata each time. And to boot, I still have 4 or 5 cubic feed of free space in front of the passanger's seat, heh. I can manage this with the top up, hehe. It tends to surprise most people how much junk I can fit in there. I need to get some pics this season next time I load up.

Road-tripping to FL two years ago, we got 10+days worth of clothes for two, snorkling gear, a laptop, and a bunch of munchies just in the trunk! My semi-neurotic wife doesn't like to have any loose items in the passenger compartment, so anything I'd have put on the shelf behind the seats got crammed in the trunk!

The key to packing heavy in the Miata trunk was, for us, using Eagle Creek's Pack-It system, where everything goes in smaller pouches and "cubes". We packed our cubes, dumped them in a duffle bag, arranged them in the trunk using every cubic millimeter, and shoved the empty duffle in there with them, so we could carry everything in at the other end.

Miatas are good for carrying lots of small items, or things that are flexible. 6000 stress balls in the trunk? No problem
Anthing flat and square, and more than ~18" wide? Not going to happen!

Attachments

• 2002_0321_200033AA.JPG
    2002_0321_200033AA.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 276
Three high efficiency 3500btu AC windowmount units, two toolboxes (small), four one-gallon jugs of Gatorade, and a very large package of paper towels, this last summer, in my roommate's Miata. =)

Hell,

I thought we were testing the limits tonight with the box for a 17" Weber grill, and mabey four bags of assorted stuff from Wally World. Ah well, I doubt we'll set any records. That's why we kept the Firebird around.

Now my Del Sol, that's a whole other story. Let's see a disassembled computer desk, an old Gateway desktop computer with monitor, two stuffed duffle bags, my uniform bag, car cleaning bucket, a few other various odds & ends and to top it off my six-month old Ibizan Hound and of course me. Oh and did I mention this was for a 950+ mile trip from IL to VA? Fun times! Especially in those mountains. lol. Probably a contributing factor to blowing my first clutch in that car. Here's a pic as we headed out:

Bearded.jpg

Stupid expression. lol.

wow...you guys are good at improvizing with what ya got! :D
Luv makes you do strange things...:D

I had 5 2U rack mounted servers, an F5 load balancer, 4 rack mount switches, 2 spools of Cat-5 cable, and other assorted cables. I still had room to spare. But the interesting thing is that stuff, at the time, was worth about $150k

I once had a sod-roller sitting between the folded top/cockpit bar.
-Fadi

wow...150K?? I woulda been scared to transport such equipment. :D I know someone named Fadi who owns Protech Performance down here in Austin, TX. :)

There's an Auto-X next weekend, so I'll have pics of the loaded Miata to post then :).

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
lmao! you don't have a trailer?? :D [mutters]two miatas and no trailer...[/mutters] ;)
*Shakes fist*. lol. How can I afford a trailer with two Miatas? ;) I thought about getting one, but honestly, I have no problem loading up the Miata with everything. Besides, the money saved on the trailer, registration, and hitch = more money for more go fast :D

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
wow...150K?? I woulda been scared to transport such equipment. :D I know someone named Fadi who owns Protech Performance down here in Austin, TX. :)
Ehh, it wasn't my money... (smoke)
So now I know 3 people who know someone else named Fadi (thumb) Starting to get common.

MiaTurbo said:
Ehh, it wasn't my money... (smoke)
So now I know 3 people who know someone else named Fadi (thumb) Starting to get common.
Yes. So what nationality are you?
I'm American Indian/mexican, but I think that's obvious. :D

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
Yes. So what nationality are you?
I'm American Indian/mexican, but I think that's obvious. :D
Diane,
I'm Libyan. I pretty much spent most of my life here in the States thou. Grew up in your neck of the woods, in Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Ok. Here's a couple pics of the stuffing for this weekend's auto-x. The pics aren't that impressive, but I was in a hurrty to catch dinner with a rather attractive female :).

DSCN1390sm.JPG

DSCN1391sm.JPG

Already stated, but the following is all in the trunk (with the exception of the wheels):

(4) wheels/tires (Hoosier 205/55/14)
(1) Craftsman ratchet set (60+ peice set)
(1) hydraulic floor jack
(1) toolbox
(1) small cooler (large enough to fit 3 bottles of water)
(4)18" traffic cones
(1) helmet into my Miata each time
(1 - sometimes 2) folding chairs.

Who needs a trailer?

Many of the items are hidden by my jacket, umbrella and chair. Just thought I'd share.

If it matters, I placed 5th of 13 yesterday. The MR2's, as usual, dominated. Oh well.

Last edited:
MiaTurbo said:
Diane,
I'm Libyan. I pretty much spent most of my life here in the States thou. Grew up in your neck of the woods, in Oklahoma.
Right on! All hail the High Plains! :D windy-est region in the COUNTRY!

kcbhiw said:
Ok. Here's a couple pics of the stuffing for this weekend's auto-x. The pics aren't that impressive, but I was in a hurrty to catch dinner with a rather attractive female :).

DSCN1391sm.JPG

Already stated, but the following is all in the trunk (with the exception of the wheels):

(1) hydraulic floor jack
(1) toolbox
(4)18" traffic cones

Who needs a trailer?

Many of the items are hidden by my jacket, umbrella and chair. Just thought I'd share.

If it matters, I placed 5th of 13 yesterday. The MR2's, as usual, dominated. Oh well.
DAMN! That would be a great way to travel without needing a trailer, but I can't fit JACKon the rear deck because of my rollbar/wind deflector. heh...

kcbhiw said:

(1) hydraulic floor jack
(1) toolbox
(4)18" traffic cones

Who needs a trailer?

I'm currently in the process of making an oversized luggage rack for mine. All the tools will go in the trunk, but I didn't want to put the tires in the car, and don't have the coin for a trailer. So last night I got 2 10' sections of 1" PVC pipe. and a bunch of 90* and t-fittings. I'll post pictures when I'm done, because i don't think I can explain how it'll be mounted (front will be on studs sticking out of frankenstein bolt holes, and rear will have vertical support going to hitch.

Back