Anyone else going to Thunderhilll Raceway Park in May?

Darin

There's a team-racing event happening :)

We could use more cars! Not 'just' miatas!

:)

More Info -

http://home.onemain.com/~bonster/teamevents.html

A word about thunderhill -

If I could think of ONE track to use as somebody's first 'track day', THill would be that track. The merrits of starting on a tack with ACRES of run-off go without saying - so I'll focus on the experience:

The course - below you'll find a shot of the track; at the event I was on awhile ago, we ran the entire perimeter of the course.

thunderhill.jpg

Here's an in-car video: http://www.moesrealm.com/videos/3_lap_03.mpg

The feeling one had while barrelling down the front straight, into turn 1 at triple-digit speeds is unreal - a bit scary initially. After a few warm-up laps, you start to push it. Coming out the end of turn 1, you have a small straight then some braking (optional, of course ;) ) into turn 2. Once more on the gas, and you can feel the back of the car start to slide...up and around 3, the big focus now is upcoming turn 5. Up a small hill, into 2nd gear, at 40mph, and hard left. The car DROPS beneath you, as you clear the corner. For those who haven't done the turn, it's sort of like this:

"Turn left, and pray the road is there beneath you, because all you see is sky"

:D

6 brings an off-camber, downhill right turn...and you motor on, through the course.

It's really a LOT of fun...a LOT of track time. At $175 for 2 hrs, some ppl think it's expensive. Break it down like this, however:

The typical autocross allows for 3? runs, each about 1.5 minutes. Cost? $20.

4.5 minutes of drive for $20. that's about $4 per minute.
compare that with 60 minutes of driving for $175. That's less than $3/mintue -

[edit] Bonni is saying 120 minutes of track time...that's $1.50 a minute. Cheaper than 1-976-make-out-with-chick phone calls.

Autocross - drive around in a small parking lot in 2nd gear.

Road Course - Drive around in WOT in ALL gears, at various points along a twisty, evelation-changing track.

Come out to Thunderhill in May. Contact Bonni via the website above. You'll come out of this with an appreciation of your car, the sport; chances are you'll improve your driving skills - and make some friends.

- darin

Last edited:
wow...too bad i'm in so. cali...thunderhill sounds really interesting when reading about it in car and driver and other publications...

doesn't matter if you are in Socal - just drive up...we're driving 12 hours each way to get there :) Last time a couple guys from LA drove up. :D

Last time I drove T'hill, I had to drive from Colorado to get there in a Toyota pickup with a race trailer! Don't be a wuss :)

Keith

hmm...i just checked out the other info, may 19 is on a wednesday. argh !! WTF !!!

diane, I just have to say, your new siggy is 200% better than your last; which took up about half a page :D

hehe

shinzen said:
Damnit- I don't think I'll drive out there but looks sweet!

It's not too bad of a drive:

Fort Collins, CO -> Willows, CA

18hr drive?

We're making a 12 hour trip...about 750 miles, iirc.

[edit]

Total Est. Time: 18 hours, 7 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1209.56 miles

Last edited:
Darin said:
diane, I just have to say, your new siggy is 200% better than your last; which took up about half a page :D

hehe

Yah? the other was just a picture. It's about time I got a real sig pic. :D

And for me, the more travel time, the sweeter it is. I LOVE to drive across our beautiful country. Damn the airplanes--I wanna see the change in scenery!!

Darin said:
Total Est. Time: 18 hours, 7 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1209.56 miles

Ahhh...I SPIT at that time! Your talkin to the girl who drove from Louisville Kentucky to Austin Texas (1135 miles) in 14.5 hours!! take that! :D

Back