miata with rx7 engine

I am interested in obtaining any info about swapping a rx7 (rotor TT) engine into a miata. Anybody know or have heard of this swap? Any info will be greatly appreciate.

Check out miata.net...there's a bit of info there. Most people that have performed the swap state that they will never do it again. The change is very involved and requires significant modification. You'd probably be better served with a Monster Miata (V8 swap)

Thanks but not interested in a v8. I am into high tech not detroit low tech. Kinda wondering what mods would create such a headache. I am sure it would be custom mounts, wiring,driveshaft,shift linkage,etc.
I'll look around that link.thanks again for the info. I am all about being different and not following the crowd. Would like a 300-400hp very light weight / rear wheel drive car that handles great and not a 240/silvia/sr20det, whcih everyone seems to be doing. Miata's can be had very cheap and they handle great, and it seems that the power to weight ratio would be fantastic.

Q

miata.net also has a thread posted by a guy willing to make TII swap "kits" for the 1st gen miata. Priced at about $3500, it wold give you the modified K-member, mounts, and various other thingies. of course you'd have to find the engine/tranny yourself.

Let me see if I can find it...

FC3s Boy said:
just turbo the 1.8l you can make good power with those motors-
Oh, for sure you can pull big power out of the 1.8...but it's still a boinger! ;)

My whole thing is how much lighter is the TII setup compared to the 1.8L turbo. Quite a bit lighter, I'd speculate. Take that, lighten the rest of the car, and that makes for even better hp/weight ratio. Ooo...but then how much more would the 7 tranny/diff cost you in weight.

hmmm....nonetheless, it would be for the novelty of it, eh? and to appease those of us who can't afford $20K+ cash for an fd. :D

if you want a fast car for cheap go with a 1st gen rx7 with a turbo II motor.

FC3s Boy said:
if you want a fast car for cheap go with a 1st gen rx7 with a turbo II motor.
isn't the tranny case different? That would be sweet. That's another Mazda I'd like to add to my collection. :)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
isn't the tranny case different? That would be sweet. That's another Mazda I'd like to add to my collection. :)
I bought a 79 for $200.00 with a full cage and race seat , add another $850.00 for a series4 turbo motor and $200.00 for the tranny and you have a 12 sec car.

FC3s Boy said:
I bought a 79 for $200.00 with a full cage and race seat , add another $850.00 for a series4 turbo motor and $200.00 for the tranny and you have a 12 sec car.

WHERE the hell can I get these deals?!?!?

My ****** friend got his hands on this for $300:
derricks_79sa.jpg

Another friend in Kentucky got this TII for $250:
james_tii_3.jpg

call me at SPD Racing we are a mazda shop in san diego , i have everthing you need in stock. that is a nice 1st gen.

damn these look good. looks like debate time for me. miata or FC3S TII ??? FC would mean sell miata and buy an FC. Miata would mean save money for FMII or IV kit. scheisser ! what a dilemma

I think we have decided to go TII 1st gen RX-7 instead. Thanks FC3sboy. We will talk to you when we get the RX-7. :)

Back