Throttle Position Sensor Help.

Acid Beern

:
Mazda Rx7 1988 , Tokico Adjustables, Rear spoiler pm me for more
We've been trying to get someone to work on my car for a long time now but noone wants to work on them. I found my manual and started to read troubleshoot on my car Back firing sputering and not idleing. It said i needed to get a TPS SENSOR for my 1988 model rx7. I have no idea how to install this and noone in my area knows how to. If you know what tools will i need a picture of some sort of the engine bay, or any help will surely help me out.

Attachments

• jarredscar.jpg
    jarredscar.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 442
Don't know the answer but I'm sure you'd find more info on this on an RX-7 specific forum. Anyone know of any? :confused:

I had a friend with an n/a fc who had the same issues. Turns out it wasn't the TPS, it was the MAF sensor. (shrug)
every car is different though. Good luck with it.

Oh i see my friend told me it's a Mass Air Flow Sensor, thanks for the help i'll have to end up buying that too. =D

Hey, you live really close to me, you should stick around and possibly come to some of our DFW meets (check the TX section every once in a while). I am in carrollton a lot since my gf lives there.

Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out, specially if i get my car going :) . Do you know of any good mechanics that work on 2nd gen rx7's? Ive already gone to rotary performance, they said "strictly 3rd generation".

Carrollton is in Dallas, or ft. worth i dunno top right of texas. ;)

Follow your intake, all the way up to the Throttle body, it should be right before the throttle body, held down by a couple of bolts, get me a pic of your engine bay and i can tell you where its at

Sweet damn i need my little mechanics at my house , im only 17 but im learning quick about rotary engins and different things. I will try to get a picture of my engine bay tomorrow after school. What does a TPS sensor do also , a guy said i needed that when i showed him at a shop. something to do with the throttle? thnx ;)

TRY THIS

DIS-CONNECT THE AIR INTAKE HOSE FROM THE THROTLE BODY AND START THE CAR. IF TI RUNS FINE THEN YOUR AIR FLOW SENSOR IS SCREWED AND IT WILL BE CHEAPER FOR U TO JUST SWITCH TO A PERFORMANCE INTAKE. IF THAT DOSENT FIX THE PROBLEM THEN YOUR FUEL REGULATOR IS PROBABLY MESSED UP. JUST HOPE THAT ITS THE AIR FLOW SENSOR . ITS THE CHEAPEST PROBLEM TO FIX IF YOUR WILLING TO CHANGE YOUR INATKE SET UP.

Hahaha. ur2funi diane. Thanks 300hp sounds like a plan i should try.

BTW, welcome to the forum. If you need some RX-7 specific stuff answered, the best place would be http://www.rx7club.com. Go to the Texas section to find out about local shops. I know of at least 3 that are rotary specific. Gotham Racing over in Haltom City, Marvelspeed out towards the rowlett area (I think), and Rotary Performance in Garland.

They dont work on 2nd gen cars :( They said to much confusion. bologna!

Back