Opinions on 2nd Gen. RX-7

vodapas77

:
Nada Mazda :( 2001 Chevy Silverado
The Miata we were looking to buy for my wife was sold out from underneath of us. Frustrating, but life moves on.

New option that has popped up is a 1990 RX-7 Convertible.

Pros: Only 64K miles, 5-Speed, clean leather interior, don't see a lot of them running around, I see a lot of potential in that bodystyle, low cost buy in to join the rotary club.

Cons: Convertible, not the greatest reviews from what I have seen so far, wife does not like its looks as much as the Miatas, I have never even touched let alone worked on a rotary, finding a mechanic if need be, might cost more than the Miata.

So, let me here from you guys. I need CONSTRUCTIVE opinions as to whether or not this car would be good move and fun car to own or a big money pit that we'll regret buying.

Thanks

check www.teamfc3s.org , they should have some good advice.

my advice? I don't know how many rotary mechanics are there in HI, so yes, repair may become a headache if the time comes.

but, a 60k mile FC vert sounds like a great deal (well considering it's probably been on the island its whole life, that's expected), NA rotaries are quite reliable, so as long as you can confirm that the car has been well maintained, I would seriously consider picking it up.

have you driven it yet?

Thanks Zoom,

I have not driven it yet nor have I had the chance to talk to the owner. My gut says it's a good deal and I have heard good things about the NA rotaries. The owner's plate says RX7 LUV so I think that is a good sign along with the clean condition. I apreciate the advice and I'll check out that URL.

FCs are pretty nice from what i've seen...i don't think the convertible should be too much of a problem if it's NA-- turbo would be a different story. but yeah, keep looking around for miata if you can. they're pretty sexy and easier to maintain a rx-7

buy it, RX-7 convertables are rare.

Yet if you are concerned with money, stick with the Miata.

I think the wife's gonna win this one. She really wants a Miata, and all in all, that's fine with me. It is her car and money after all. I still think I'm gonna go take the RX-7 for a test drive. Who knows, mabey I'll like it enough to buy it.

Thanks for all of the input guys.

If your wife is not a true car enthusiast, pass on the Rx. They are pretty expensive on the upkeep. It's like $15 a spark plug. And I believe $180 for a shock. And I know personally that finding a mechanic is almost impossible in hawaii. The reason my origanal engine in my rx blew was because none of the mechanics I sent it to could figure out that Rxs have more than one cooling fan. And I sent it to 2 different mechanics. I also had a situation with the alternator, evidently the NAPA brand altornators just don't work. I will give you this for the Rx though, It WILL out perform the Mazdaspeed in every way. Except maby comfort.

Yeah, the way we're looking at it is that if we get the RX-7 it will be my toy that she can drive until we find a good deal on a Miata. I just wish the Miata hadn't fallen through. 92 Sunburst Yellow, almost flawless and only 65K miles. Grrrr.

Back