RX-8 and Baby Seats?

hosmann95

Okay, this is a different question than the usual performance talk around here, but I'm wondering if anyone out there is using an RX8 to carry a baby seat?

We're expecting our first child in a few months and I need a car that can handle a baby seat and another adult passenger. I currently drive a Miata and my wife already has a Protege5... think we kinda like Mazdas!.

I'm not ready for a minivan nor do I think I really need one... though as minivans go, the MPV ES is a nice one.

Being a car freak for many years, I'm figuring that this may be my last chance for a while to buy a "fun" car since hauling two kids in an RX8 might start to get really challenging.

So, my questions:

It would seem that the rear-opening doors would make it relatively easy to load a car seat and baby into the back, but how does the seat fit back there for those of you who have done it? Is the seat wide enough?

Can one fit a stroller in the trunk? I don't have the stroller yet so I can't try it out.

Any other challenges you've encountered besides admiring glances from other drivers who convinced themselves that one baby necessitates a Hummer H2?

Thanks!

Nice to see a new Mazda "family" in our community. Welcome.

As far as the anchors they are located in the crease of the back seat in a 2.5" slit ewhere the ISO latches are below and their is a latch up to for the upper tie. Are you still using the seat belts when fastening them in? I woulnd see why a stoller of average size wouldn't fit. They say 2 walking Golf bags fit so why not? If you have any problems with finding the car you want I can see what all dealers have coming in any time, if you become interested, and also what they are getting them for ;)

gl and great choice.

oh and I have a p5 and my g/f has a 2002 miata, what colors? I had a tit. grey 8 on order but flux. in the sales have made me rethink it, and now making me rethink my profession but thats another story....

P5 and Miata

I have a 1991 silverstone Miata... my wife has a white 2003 Protege5 with black leather and 5-speed.

I bought the Miata about 5 years ago from the original owner and we bought the Protege new. Both have been amazingly good cars. Granted, the Miata only had about 30k miles on it when I bought it. I had used it primarily as a pleasure vehicle, but decided to use it as a daily driver about 6 months ago. It makes me smile just driving to the grocery store... what a great little car.

The Protege is also great. In 25k miles we haven't had a single problem with it. The 5-door setup has allowed us to carry some amazingly large items.

The other car I'm seriously considering is the Mazda6 wagon when they come out. I think the six cylinder, manual transmission, and the sport package would be a killer family truckster. I hope Mazda doesn't wuss-out and only sell the wagon with the automatic. I'm thinking titanium gray with black leather would be killer.

I have the Hatchback on order in manual(@ work), and the Wagon has a manual option next to it on my order screen. I would be superbly disappointed if they did not fullful those orders that come in.

What about the New 3, either sedan or "Sport" wagon you cannot go wrong with the big 4-cyl and red and black interior with xenons, silver or titanium, 17' wheels. navigation, 5-speed, sport package. Sorry, i get a little carried away with that car sometimes

get one of those kool sparco baby seats! My frind who had an older protege had one. It was sweet. kid had better seat than me. (thumb)

Back