92 Miata Price Question

vodapas77

:
Nada Mazda :( 2001 Chevy Silverado
Hey Miata owners. Looking at a 92 Miata 5-Speed with 65K miles in mint condition. They are asking $5900 for it, but I am thinking I can get it down to $5000. Remembering that this is Hawaii where prices tend to be a little higher, do you think this sounds like a fair deal? Edmunds says yes, but I would rather hear it from people who have had experience with these vehicles. Thanks in advance.

Lang

That sounds a little high to me, even for Hawaii. At 65k, your either due for a timing belt change or it just had one. '92 and newer gets the new crank design for the 1.6L, a definite plus. Personally, I think only 6k miles per year is too low. Fewer miles doesn't always mean good.

Either way it's a Miata, hard to loose. It sounds like a $4k car in PA, but it's hard to tell with the growth of Spec Miata.

-Scott

Scott,

Thanks. I agree sometimes low milage on a car that old makes me worry too. Of course Oahu isn't very big, so it might explain that factor. Anyhow, I appreciate the insight and from the looks of your sig. you are definitely someone to listen too. I'll know more after I get to take it out today.

Check KBB.com and NadaGuides.com as well.
When going to buy the car:
*Reference the lowest quote of value from whichever website has it
*walk around the car and point out its flaws (even if minimal) to "bring down" the value
*remember, it's all a game to them

:)

oh, and I need to come to CA to get one of these 2-3K miatas....we're looking for a project rotary miata.

I can probably get it lower for a project car;) , my dad picked up a relatively high mile 93 r package? (130K) black/red interior with power pulse int/gay catback in ok condition for $2500. Runs perfect though, let me know I work in the buisness so I can get older cars cheap.BTW whose/what subframe are you usuing to do yor swap and what motor/trans combo? gl

Sdrotary2 said:
I can probably get it lower for a project car;) , my dad picked up a relatively high mile 93 r package? (130K) black/red interior with power pulse int/gay catback in ok condition for $2500. Runs perfect though, let me know I work in the buisness so I can get older cars cheap.

gaaaahhh!! See, that's what we WANT and have the $$$ for!! I would be happy to drive to beautiful california to get one! Can you lok around for me? We are very very serious and hunting right now.

We just went to look at a '99 that had few miles, no engine, and flood damage, but the guy wanted $8K!!! That's low retail value! And it didn;t have an engine! I must have "fool" tattoo'ed on my forehead, but I told him to stick it!

BTW whose/what subframe are you usuing to do yor swap and what motor/trans combo? gl

There is a guy who is supposed to be making a kit (modded front k-member, resplined axles, bushings/mounts) for $3500. I found him on the miata.net forum. The setup would be a a TII engine/tranny/drivetrain, per him.

Sdrotary2 said:
my dad picked up a relatively high mile 93 r package?

oh, and the R package was a 94, but I know what u mean. :)

I would KILL for an R package. :D (no PS, radio, a/c and other useless crap) GREAT project car. And 150K for a miata is NOthing. :D

thanks for the clarification Im sure it is a 94. I let him drive the gf's miata and he was pumped. Her 02 is gonna be the project if I can get her to race it. She drives hard everywhere but the track. She gets nervous I think.

P.S. I am a salesman so I am sure I can work something out with selling you the r pkg ;) . He just bought a 88 ish 911 and he sold his SVX (hooray) and considered selling the mx-5 also but didn't. If he sells the r to you maybe I can talk him into an 8.... offers?

Sdrotary2 said:
I can probably get it lower for a project car;) , my dad picked up a relatively high mile 93 r package? (130K) black/red interior with power pulse int/gay catback in ok condition for $2500. Runs perfect though, let me know I work in the buisness so I can get older cars cheap.BTW whose/what subframe are you usuing to do yor swap and what motor/trans combo? gl

Black with red interior can onl be a 93 SE. Valuable collectible that should be restored.

LaserBlue said:
Black with red interior can onl be a 93 SE. Valuable collectible that should be restored.
That's true (my other dream miata). I was just going off the fact that he said R package. :)

and SD: did you mean to say $8K for the R?

im sure you can buy it for that much :D no I would like to talk him into an RX-8 hence the "8". Sorry, I was @ work so I have to type fast. I Thought he said 93 but I know for a fact it is black/red int. for sure. Sorry I am a rotorhead, so I am usually wrong with these calls. thanks again.

Understand the work thing..:D

However, it would be a shame to tear into a limited edition, especially such a rare one, be it a 93LE or an R-package.

We want a little dirty beater that will be just able to make the drive back to Texas (i.e. high milage is prefereable).

What we plan to do:
*rip out all interior
*strip all the weight we can (a/c, radio, ect)
*replace stock hood with the cowl miata hood
*rip off all quarter panels for a wide body kit
*ford 9 conversion
*modify/buy a kit to fit the 13B, if he decides to go rotary
*6 speed conversion if he decides to keep the boinger and go big turbo

We haven't worked out all the details. We just want to get the car right now. His 3 possibilities are:

TII setup
Turbo 1.8L (HIGH hp)
V8 conversion

Any way it goes, the car is going to be stripped down.

PLEASE let me know asap if you can find a cheap beater miata in SD or anywhere in CA.

We would deeply appreciate it! :D

while your out here in SD talk to FC3S Boy and pick up a TII motor and trans for awesome prices @ their shop. That is the most power/weight route but a hard swap it is. It would be smooth though. and say no to the V-8 swap please.... go 18psi on a forged 1.8 instead PLEASE!

haha just 'cause FC3S Boy is your brother !

damn...18psi ? how long would that last ? does that mean if i forged my 1.6 w/ the FMII it would last a lot longer if i put it up to 15psi ?

Sdrotary2 said:
It would be smooth though. and say no to the V-8 swap please.... go 18psi on a forged 1.8 instead PLEASE!

LOL...did you get my PM about an offer on your Dad's miata?!?!?!?

email me please: miatagirl576@yahoo.com

while your out here in SD talk to FC3S Boy and pick up a TII motor and trans for awesome prices @ their shop. That is the most power/weight route but a hard swap it is.

I guess I'd have to bring my miata/trailer or put the motor/tranny in the back of the Pro5--I've put a 1.6L miata engine in the back of the Pro5 before. It has been done. :D

Email me soon! We are very serious about buying the car. And we are leaving to go skiing for a week on saturday. I'm not sure if they have internet access at the resort, so I may not be able to check my email, but I will have my cell phone on me.

Thanks!

im sorry, he is in Vegas so it took some time to get ahold of him. He isn't ready yet but I will send you pm the day he decides to sell it if he does. :( sorry to get your hopes up. I will call again and bug him just for sure in 1-2 days. ;)

And not JUST cause its my bro, b/c I like the way they do buisness and they have excellent prices on t2 motors and trans and have ungodly amounts @ the shop. As far as how long your 1.6l will hold @ 15psi,... not too long. I believe I used the word "on a FORGED 1.8L" ;) if you built your 1.6l well then another story, but you will want those extra cubes later when a rotorheads pull up on you.

hehehe ! i know i know i'm just joshin' you :) damn...what a cool family...dad has a miata, brothers have rotaries, one owns a shop...cuhrayzee

Sdrotary2 said:
im sorry, he is in Vegas so it took some time to get ahold of him. He isn't ready yet but I will send you pm the day he decides to sell it if he does. :( sorry to get your hopes up. I will call again and bug him just for sure in 1-2 days. ;)

BAH! oh well...

But my offer still stands: Find me a running 1st gen miata for around $2500 in Cali and we will come get it.

It doesn't have to be beautiful, in fact the interior can be total crap, since we are replacing almost everything.

Please let me know, mista Big Time car salesman. :D

Back