P5 Front Speaker installation and DIN plug Pin-out

zeus_lok

:
2002 Mazda P5
(another newbie... any help appreciated :) )

I am about to purchase what I think are the appropriate front speakers for the P5 (Pioneer 6.5" components), but lost as to how I would install it. The front is 5x7... any tips on what I should do or watch out when I install the new stuff?

I have seen some interested examples with 1/2" plywood. I wonder if there are more readily available adaptors that will ease my troubles.

Also, anyone have the pin-outs for the plug so I can hook up a Kenwood Z828?

Thanks!

Alan

It is really not that easy to make an adapter. Just get some 1/2" plywood, take the old speaker, trace around it on the plywood, and mark the original screw holes.

Then take your new speaker and center it and trace that. Then just use a jig saw and cut them out. You will have to cut away at some of the plastic speaker surround on the door panel, but is worth it.

Call Crutchfield for a wiring kit.

the adaptor are easy, i just made some last week for my car, i forgot I had a set of really nice components sitting in a box so we popped the door apart and used some masonits for the plates, i used 5.25 and tweets and the fit was tight so becareful with the 6.5's. I agree with the wire harness go to crutchfiled.com or if you have an Ultimate Electronics by you they stock the harness. Hard wiring is a bad Iidea as many car manufacturers will void your electrical warranty if you cut the head unit wires.

zeus_lok said:
(another newbie... any help appreciated :) )

I am about to purchase what I think are the appropriate front speakers for the P5 (Pioneer 6.5" components), but lost as to how I would install it. The front is 5x7... any tips on what I should do or watch out when I install the new stuff?

I have seen some interested examples with 1/2" plywood. I wonder if there are more readily available adaptors that will ease my troubles.

Also, anyone have the pin-outs for the plug so I can hook up a Kenwood Z828?

Thanks!

Alan

You're from Toronto, so your car is Canadian. The Canadian Proteges have 6x8 in the fronts and 5.25" in the rears. A pair of Pioneer's TS-A6867 6x8 are custom made my Pioneer to fit inside our Mazda's. Look for them at Futureshop for about $150 + tax.

TS-A6867.jpg

The front speakers are not a problem. Many 5x7 or 6x8 bolts on directly without any mod. It's the rear 6.5 and the non-standard mounting pattern that gives trouble. I don't know any speaker that bolts on the rear without using an adapter of some sort. The best bet so far are the Polk 6.5s as they have tons of mounting holes but I'm not sure if they'll line up with the holes on the door.

That's why I'm replacing the front speakers for now. Gotta do more research or hopefully Pioneer comes out with something that fit the rear without the adapter.

It's so expensive to get those Scschore<sp> adapter in Canada. I mean the adapter is like $7 but shipping to Canada is $20. There's gotta be a better way than paying triple than what its worth for shipping.

Re: Re: P5 Front Speaker installation and DIN plug Pin-out

ChopstickHero said:

You're from Toronto, so your car is Canadian. The Canadian Proteges have 6x8 in the fronts and 5.25" in the rears. A pair of Pioneer's TS-A6867 6x8 are custom made my Pioneer to fit inside our Mazda's. Look for them at Futureshop for about $150 + tax.

Grrr.... and I thought it was 5x7! There were a number of conflicting posts, so I deduced from the forums that it was 5x7. Should have taken off the speaker panel and measure it for myself. I already bought the Pioneer TS-C1653 (the 6.5" component set) so I can't really go back and get either the 6x8 customs or their new fancy "Rev" series 6x8.

I am not replacing the back speakers, since I am the driver and passenger... ok, maybe my friends too, but they don't count! Getting a 4ch amp and more speaker would also run me into more debt than what I have now.

Anyways, thank you all for your help. :) I have definitely learn a bit more about my own car before I open it up for installation surgery (and hopefully some poor Canadian P5 owner learn from my speaker journey... eh ;) ) I will try to share some pictures when I/my bro have time to install the works.

Back