Hid's

MP5215

Who here has upgrade to HID's on there P5 or MP3 and can i get any feed back on them. What worked, was it hard, etc.....
Thanks

if we are talking about true h.i.d's then yes, i have them. i have the starters and the ballasts and the bulbs and everthing. i got the kit for 565 bucks. took about an hour to wire up. the only thing that was difficult was wiring the relays because the instructions were in chinese.

if we are talking about fake-eye-deez, then no, i dont have those anymore. i did have a set of "plazma blue hid" bulbs in my car. they werent really any brighter. but they look kinda cool, they are cheap, and easy to put in

I've got some philips 6000K HIDs, they were very easy to wire up, not wire cutting or splicing or drilling of any kind was needed, it was all plug and play. When buying HID you really need to be careful who you buy it from, just because they use Philips components doesn't mean that the connectors and wireing is high quality. That link for HID4LESS that Linux posted is a good place to buy. Here's some pics.

mp3hida.jpg

mp3hidb.jpg

(a well made kit should take no more that 15 minutes to wire up....now making it look clean and hiding the wires might take a little longer but to actuall connect everything and have it working should only take a few minutes.)

Shawn

Last edited:
I got the HIDs from myself, as I used to import them from overseas. I'm no longer doing this though so I couldn't get any more for you guys...this exact setup is still avalible in the United States under the Evolution name brand. This pair should retial for about $800 or so.

Shawn

yup, it's $800 US dollars...you can find HID kits for as low as $400 but please don't buy those, you'll be very disappointed with the quality, fitment, and beam pattern, you do get what you pay for with HIDs.

Shawn

Ahh...and it begins.....Philips doesn't make a 6500K kit...the highest color temp blub that they make is the 6000K blubs called Ultinon. I've see people advertising 8000K "Philips" kit on ebay before...people don't realize that if it was indeed 8000K the beam color would be a deep red. Secondly, just because they advertise it as a Phlips HID kit doesn't mean it's high quality. They may just be using Philips ballasts and cheap taiwan made blubs or the other way around. Philips doesn't actually make retrofit HID kits, they make the OEM components that other manufacturers make their HID kits out of so just because they're philips components doesn't make it a high quality kit, you need to look for custom molded adaptors for the blubs and not cheap glue on adaptors and thin, 2 line connectors at the point where the blub meets the ballasts so you don't have to remove or modify your weather sealing of the stock headlamp. Some of these cheap kits even require you to cut up the stock headlamp to make them work. Check out the close up pictures on www.hid4less.com these are some nice quality kits. or www.McCullochHID.com again, these guys have great quality kits. Like I said in an earlier post, I used to import these HID kits directly from the supplier overseas so I know what cost is on these things. They can't possibly be sold for $500 canadian if it's a good quality kit.

Shawn

I dont know much about HIDs.....but my friend showed me the box of the HID and there are like Mercedes on it....haha....
I am a HID dummy.......:D

HIDs4less huh, I followed the links to see how much the Stage II kit for an H4 would be. They have it for $750. I know I can find one for a lot less than that.:(

waste of money..

I expect to be flamed for my reply but in all honesty, I import H.I.D. retrofit kits for resale and wholesaling to local tuner shops, and I must say the value which an H.I.D. kit provides on your car is worth nowhere near the $500+ some people are spending to get a retrofit.

The conversions first of all are technically illegal to use for anything but show and will NEVER ever be as good as a factory H.I.D. system where the housing is built around a bulb spec.. it shouldn't be done the other way around as in the case of a retrofit.. and except in the case of say a p5 which has a separate halogen high beam, it is not a worthwhile compromise to spend $500+ on a kit which still does not give you a high beam.. intensity is not a replacement for distance.. if you want the distance of your high beam you would have to improperly aim your H.I.D. retrofits and it will make it look like a big Ford Truck flickering inside the interior of the car in front of you.. people will hate you.. you will hate you ;)

I personally use a 6,000K Korean packaged kit which consists of Korean made bulbs and (either Hella or Osram, haven't peeled off the stupid sticker to check which the setup I'm running a.t.m.) ballasts.. and on the way back from both Carlisle and MAPP3 I must say on unfamiliar highways, not having a high beam is an absolute curse.. you cant see the staties on the side of the road plus you don't know the curves you haven't seen before.. basically slowing my trip down over conventional halogens..

Now of course.. I have my kit properly aimed, both horizontally and vertically.. not blinding anybody.. looks great but the beam doesn't go too far.. not creeping up into people's interiors.. ymmv.. but take a long hard look and consider getting some high quality halogen bulbs (like Philips or G.E's high end, not hyperwhites) with a high quality relay kit.. you'll be impressed how much of an improvement it is over stock.

In the high end market for H.I.D's I'd second, mccullochhid kits and the newly released high and low beam catz kits should be the best of the best for now..

btw the kits I buy cost a tad below $300 each wholesale and as the technology improves.. the price isn't going up for the newest technology.. the product gets better.. don't pay top dollar for something that will be cheap when summer is over.. I'm looking at some nice purpleish white 7,000K kits in my next order and it just keeps getting cheaper..

I do like H.I.D. lighting around town though.. gets lotsa looks.. really nice on backroads.. really nice that I'll probably never, ever, need to buy replacement bulbs.. (I used to run the first generation Catz Zeta system and I was going through bulbs every 3 months or so.. THAT's the way to go if they've fixed sudden bulb consumption problems).

Never buy a kit thats pieced together.. make sure the harnesses are thick and weatherproof, and make sure you don't have to compromise the seal of your headlights housing in the installation process like some crappy APC 1st generation kits that came out a year ago where the wiring that powers the bulb goes into your headlight housing at a non-adjustable 90 degree angle .. you don't want to deal with condensation in your newer car..

Good luck! :)

Re: waste of money..

tradr11 said:
...the value which an H.I.D. kit provides on your car is worth nowhere near the $500+ some people are spending to get a retrofit.

First off, great post, I agree with everything you said, I used to be an importer who wholesaled to a lot of the local shops around southern california so I know costs and quality control issues with imported HID kits as well. I thought what you said above in the quote is interesting but if you really think about it, how often do we actually purchase something for our cars that actually equal the VALUE of what we spend for it? Since when was the "value" of a Autoexe front lip $600 or Volk Racing wheels $2000+ when cheaper wheels will do exactly the same thing? We buy a lot of things for our cars that really don't have the value of what we spend for it. The bottom line is that driving around town, HIDs look very cool...who's to say whether or not it's worth the $500+?

Shawn

Back