Oil Pan Seal

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
Aside from the OEM stuff that is sold by Mazda (Epoxy based at $30/pop), does anyone have any suggestions as to an oil pan sealant that will provide good results in terms of longevity? Will regular RTV work fine? Considering the Miata doesn't have an entire gasket and the engine must be removed to remove the oil pan, I want something that's not going to leak 10k miles down the road. Suggestions?

Indian Head gasket maker (if you can find it--AutoZone should sell it). It's the best and recommended by prof. mechanics with years experience.

We use gray RTV.

You can remove the oil pan without pulling the engine, but you have to drop the front subframe. It's a bit easier but still not THAT easy.

Keith

I had found a Black RTV heat and oil resistant gasket in a tube. It was like $5.00. Automotive stores carry s*** like that, Have a look.

(p5white)

Yeah gray RTV is the way to go. And like Keith said, the engine doesn't have to come out, but it will take a lot of work. I remember changing the pan gasket on my '91 RX-7 and it was a pretty involved job, but not like a miata.

Thanks for the help folks. I think I'll try the gray RTV.

Back