OFFICIAL THREAD: New England Protege Owners Club - Info

:
07 F150 HD
Hey guys, im very excited to announce the start of the New England Protege Owners Club. This is a preliminary overview of who we are and what we are all about and im sure this little document will be changing over the next month or so. Please feel free to send any questions/concerns and most importantly membership info to the e-mail address below.

Name:
This club is called the New England Protg Owners Club also called by its acronym: NEPOC

Purpose:
The purpose of this club is to provide a community in the New England area for Mazda Protg owners and other Mazda enthusiasts.

Dues/Membership Fees:
At this time, we do not anticipate collecting any dues for the 2004 year. The club is just being established and it is not clear at this time what its role will be, nor is it clear what the expenses will include. This means that membership is free for 2004, but also means that if any fees are going to be incurred by the club (t-shirts/stickers/meet costs) that these fees will have to be covered by participating club members.

Description of Activities:
The activities and events that NEPOC will be participating in may in include:

1. Social gatherings, such as picnics, parties, meetings
2. Fun Runs
3. Local and Regional car meets
4. Autocross and Drag-Strip events
5. Car Shows
6. Member discounts*

Membership Requirments:
Ownership of or a genuine interest in a Mazda Protg or similar Mazda model (3, 323 etc..) will be required for membership. You do not actually need to reside IN New England to be a member, but all official events will take place within New England. For the first 6 months (Until July 1, 2004), NEPOC will be open to any party interested in joining the Protg community. After which time, NEPOC reserves the right to permit new membership pending an application process which will be defined at a later time.

Note: There will also be a more broad New England Mazda community to include owners of all other Mazda models. This community will be closely related to NEPOC, but members of it will not be members of the Protg Club.

Goals/Plans:
The bottom line goal of NEPOC is to DO things. Car shows, autox events, meets, picnics, fun-runs, a standard weekly/monthly meeting time and place etcthis clubs purpose is to provide a community of owners so that when you want to go to a race at Limerock, Rev-It-Up at Foxboro, Maine Forest Rally in Maine, enter your car in HIN in Boston, or go to the Berlin Tnpke in CT to hang out with the ricers one Thursday a month, you have a community of owners that you can draw from to best represent Mazda and Protg Enthusiasts. While there may be a mandatory minimum number of events you must attend per year, we do not anticipate any single event having mandatory attendance. Another goal is to get larger turnouts for our meets and events. Over the past year we have had a number of meets and at each one there are lots of new faces that have come to see what we are all about, however there are always some of the faces from the previous meet missing. I believe this is due to a lack of communication with all the owners in the area, and hopefully, having this club will solve that problem.

Mazda Rev-It-Up at Foxboro is tentatively scheduled for the weekend of May 22-23 and this will be the first official NEPOC event. It is

TO JOIN:
To join please send an e-mail to protegeclub@hotmail.com including the following information:
Name:
Year/Make/Model/Trim of Car:
e-mail address:
clubprotege.com screenname:
mazdamp3.com screenname:
AOL IM Name:

Last edited:
Be careful and don't make the barrier of entry too high. If you have member dues and minimum events to attend and an application process of some sort, then some NE Protege owners may not want to deal with it and just not become a member at all.

What about members who formerly owned proteges (2) and have fostered the initial growth of the community both in NE and at large (ie Craig...)

obviously people like craig are more than welcome in the club. :)
lemme reword that part of the post...

Astral: I dont think there is any kind of barrier. There is no application process, no dues, and it will be like a 1 event per year minimum which seems pretty reasonable to me (if you arent making it to a single event all year long then i dont know why you would really want to be in the club)

The "application" thing is just letting people know that in the future we may institute one for new members. Especially if/when we get any kind of sponsorship...

Thanks for the feedback!

this is not intended to be MY club, i want it ot be all of ours, so if you have any suggestions or feedback, keep em comin. Everything I have posted was kind of just what I came up with to get us going and it should be considered a very "living" document...

(bike)

Last edited:
I agree with Astral. The proceedure for joining the club seems a bit formalistic to me. Also, I'm not in favor of having to attend a minimum number of events in order to maintain one's membership. I live in northern NJ and have attended all the Kent Falls meets and would be interested in the idea of a New England club.

hmmm, whats formalistic about it?

All you have to do it send an e-mail and you're in.

Maybe we can make it easier if need be but i thought it was pretty low key already :)

btw, Kent will definitely be considered a club event

and even so, once we get a bunch of people joined up we can decide whether or not the minimum number of events per year is something you all want to get rid of or not

Last edited:
Yeah this is pretty basic. Just send Slug an email and boom. Your in. Not much to it really. Yeah, former protege owners like craig are more than welcome! We're trying to keep this as friendly and carefree as possible. The last we want is to turn this into a "our club is better than yours." If you like to have a good time, thats about as exclusive as it gets.

Ok well, cool, as slug420 described it, right now the barrier is really small. An e-mail to join is reasonable. 1 event a year is also reasonable.

I sent in my e-mail, so looking forward to a reply :)

Wahoo! I'm in too! I have been waiting for a new england protege club since I got my p5 a few months ago! I'm so excited! Time for bed now though...

Thanks!
-DaViper

Can we have a "New England" forum? Maybe we can merge all the NE forums into one? The post counts in MA, CT, ME, NH, RI, VT forums are pretty sad. And also often a person in CT may help with an MA-related question, but they may not check that forum.

And that way we can discuss NEPOC related things in the New England forum. If the traffic picks up again, we can split the forums again.

I was thinking of requesting a New England or NEPOC forum, but was thinking of just having a forum on our website when we get that up and running. No doubt a New England/NEPOC section on here is easier and might get more traffic......which do you guys prefer?

I'd rather have a forum here.

No reason for people to re-register. You can link it from NEPOC's web site. You'll get more traffic. Threads will be searchable by all others. More prominence on this forum.

So I'd rather have a combined NE/NEPOC forum here (and I still think that it's best to coalesce all the individual NE states into one NE forum).

Yeah, a New-England forum on here would be key. Just combine all the useless north-east states together...the only one that gets used is ct..because of me and slug pretty much.

I agree. There should be a comnined NE thread. It is really pretty quiet in the NH forum. I post in Mass more often I think. The other thing is winter kills us NE folks. We are hurt for events and what not this time of year. Look forward to some get togethers and fun runs. Track days would be fantasmic too.

Well, I'm not in New England, but there doesn't seem to be an Upstate NY protege club and I'd love an excuse to take a roadtrip... I'm in, unless there are objections. Email sent.

no objections, anyone can join, as long as they are ok with all events/meets being in New England (even though some may be really close to NY like our Kent meets)

As a matter of fact you are our 3rd member from NY, and 2nd from the Albany area. A couple more and you guys can all cruise out to our meets together :)

nepoc.org, nepoc.com and nepoc.net are available (in order of my preference).

Who wants to host the web site? Maybe someone has connections w/ ISPs or web hosts.

Also available:

NEprotege.com (.org/.net)

Actually, neprotege.com is my fave. It's easier to remember than NEPOC, and is non-model-specific (i.e. not neprotege5 or nemsprotege)

Last edited:
Back