Another newbie needs help with speakers!

firefly

I want to put in new speakers and I was searching on the net for the wire harness that goes into the factory speaker connector. I found the right harness but they're so damn expensive. $25US with shipping to Canada. Yet I can get the speakers installed by a shop for about the same price.

So what should I do? Cut the factory harness and solder the wires onto the speaker directly? Or is there a cheaper way out?

the easy way out is to clip the connector on the speaker and either butt connect or solder in the new wires. The speakers should come with new wire links that have the right connectors to plug into the speaker BTW. Personally I preffer solder just because it's less chance for contaminates and makes a much more solid connection.

Thanks for the reply. But I'm not sure if I understand that (read newbie).

So you're saying I should take the connector from the stock speaker that I'm replaceing and solder the new wires that come with my new speaker to the connector? Then snap it back on the factory harness?

I'm usually a visual learner so I included a paint diagram in the post. It's not the best in the world but I hope it gets the jist across. Basicly all you have to do is snip off the factory connector from the speaker harness that attaches to the speaker. The new wires w/ the new speakers are just splice lengths. Just strip back a little of the insulation from the new wires and the factory wires and either solder or crimp connect at that joint. If you do solder get whats called shirnk wrap. You put a proper length (little longer than the length of the joint) over the wire before you connect the joint. Then after soldering together use a lighter or match and "shirnk" the shrink wrap over the joint. If you still have doubts just PM me or you can IM me at jeper79 on Aol IM. I should be on tonight, gonna try to work on my site.

Attachments

• speakerwires1.jpg
    speakerwires1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 701
Thanks for the clear explanation and the diagram. I think I understand what to do now.

Is the connector on the stock speaker screwed onto the housing? I think I saw a pic of the stock speaker and there's a screw on the connector.

Back