Bell turbo finished

20ESGUY

I don't know if you guys know it or not, so this may be old news, but Bell is finally about to release the turbo kit. I talked to Bill Cardel who is of Flyin Miata to see if they would be intrested in doing a stand alone ecu system simliar to the 2nd gen miata's. Come to find out he's been working with Bell on the turbo set up. He said they're running at 8 psi boost, with no knock. He said that they didn't even tune the ecu they used AFPR, which I'm assuming is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Bill said that the system came out very nice, which if you've seen any of his miata setups his opinons are usually spot on. At anyrate, no luck with them doing the ecu though.

Is there anywhere to find out more information about this in regards to costs, dynos, what exactly comes with the kit...?

Come to find out he's been working with Bell on the turbo set up. He said they're running at 8 psi boost, with no knock. He said that they didn't even tune the ecu they used AFPR, which I'm assuming is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

This is bullshi*. They might have told you this but I've been in contact with one of the guys at the flyin miata site about what they are doing about the MP3's advanced timing. He wrote me several emails saying that I would have to get something to retard the timing. He was VERY serious about it too. So I just don't believe they are getting no knock at all at 8psi unless they are pumping loads of fuel in there. He never told me if they were going to use a piggy back, but he strongly urged me to get one. Something is fishy here.

I don't know the specfics other than what I already posted but I'm sure if you contacted Corky Bell with Bell Enterprises he could give you the info. I'm posting the e-mail I got from Bill in this post, I meant to do it in the first one but I hit the button before I thought about it.

Robert,
We don't have an ecu that fits the protege, but we're finding it's not
necessary when running limited boost. We're working with Bell Engineering on a Protege turbo (I'm shopping for a P5 myself) and Bell just got the first installation up and running. At eight psi, no pings, plenty of fuel just using an AFPR.

Bill Cardell (TurboDog's Dad)
bill@flyinmiata.com
Flyin' Miata
1-800-359-6957 (sales only)
970-242-3800 (tech support)
http://flyinmiata.com

Maybe the guy I talked to didn't know for sure. I'd still like to get a piggyback sometime in the future so I can up the boost to 10 or 11psi.

Something is fishy here. I live in a very hot and humid climate(sucks for F/I) And I am running a programmable managment system. I get slight pinging with minimal timing retard. I have to get the timing as far back as -12degrees on certain rpm points. Stou and CH say that they are not getting detonation. But I am some what skeptikal(spelling?) about that. Ping can be very faint as in my car. You can barley here it. Only at night with the windows up could I faintly here it and at 4000rpm it was very prominent. If you do not have access to datalogging then there are other ways of finding out knock with out a sensor. Check www.i-club.com or www.miata.net and do a search on detonation or pinging and you should find some pretty interesting methods. I spoke to ken(I think at flyin miata) and he advised that it would be foolish to F/I a mp3 without timing control.

The ES and P5 don't have the same timing as the MP3. Could that be the difference here? Maybe they don't need to retard the timing on the P5/ES but would on the MP3.

The ES and P5 don't have the same timing as the MP3. Could that be the difference here? Maybe they don't need to retard the timing on the P5/ES but would on the MP3.

True........but I think(could be wrong) the p5 has only like 2 degrees less timing, its not too retarded compared to the mp3.

As a matter of fact, I think it was Ken that I talked to. I'm still a little leary of that. I'm running low boost until I get some kind of piggyback.

spoolinmp3 said:

True........but I think(could be wrong) the p5 has only like 2 degrees less timing, its not too retarded compared to the mp3.

LOL..."not too retarded"

You have got to take off that heat sheild and take some more photos. I want to see the manifold. What kind of hp are you you getting? What psi?

I will post more photos soon. The manifold, down pipe and turbo housing are coming off momentarily for coating, but the manifold is a cast piece. I have only had the car back for 2 weeks and have not had time to schedule a dyno time but we are hoping to get 200 - 210 hp out of it at 8 lbs. Numbers should be slightly higher on a MP3. Good news is that we have no knock up to the redline with testing on 95 - 98 degree days.

http://www.bellengineering.net/MP3.html

big_ben said:
As a matter of fact, I think it was Ken that I talked to. I'm still a little leary of that. I'm running low boost until I get some kind of piggyback.

I am thinking about going ahead and putting my turbo on as soon I get my manifold. Is that what you are doing now? If so then let me know how much boost you are running, and is it safe?

I am running 8. But I have a P5 and from what I understand your MP3 timing is advanced in comparison. You may need to retard. Read this entire thread.

WShade said:
I am running 8. But I have a P5 and from what I understand your MP3 timing is advanced in comparison. You may need to retard. Read this entire thread.

LOL!!! "You may need to retard."

I watch that Jay and Silent Bob movie way to much...

Nice lookin' site there Spoolin'.

Back