Questions about the 3

Rogue

Red 5 Standing by
Contributor
:
2003 MSP
I am really thinking about getting a new 5-door 3 in the fall. But I have some questions that perhaps some 3 owners can answer...

Suspesion: Compared to a stock P5, how is it? Stiffer? Softer? The 3 looks taller so is there more body roll?

Windows: I'm sure it has the "AUTO" down for the driver window, but does it have auto up also? What about the front passenger window?

Navigation: How easy is it to use, especially while driving? Is it worth the $$$?

Shifter: The shifter on the P5 was pretty long (about 10"-12" throw from 1st to 2nd), how long is it on the 3? Any aftermarket short shifters yet?

Engine: This is more of a "can it be done" question. Since the 6 uses the same 2.3L as the 3, theoretically couldn't the V6 be transplanted into the 3?

If some of these have already been answered, please point in the right direction.

Thank you,
Luke
(2thumbs)

the only one i can answer for sure is about the shifter, it has very short throws, well short compared to the protege, even feels shorter than the 6, but it's definetely shorter than the protege, feels sportier.i'm not 100% positive but i don't think there is an auto up, probably for safety reasons, but it does have the same kind of button for the sun roof, click the slide button and it opens all the way. suspension seemed a bit softer to me than my protege

From the car I drove;

Suspension: The car is not really taller. My 5 is dropped about an inch and the two cars side by side are a pretty good match. Its not the Pontiac Vibe people were making it out to be. The car is pretty solid over the road and in turns. The body roll is not pronounced. You definietely feel as though Mazda was aiming for ride quality and refined handling, and they succeeded IMO. The steering response is great.

Windows: No auto-up function. Auto-down on drivers side only.

Navigation: Its not worth the extra grand to me. Buy a map or use mapquest before you go.

Shifter: The shifter is pretty short. It shifts excellently I might add. No aftermarket short shifters. Kartboy is thinking about supporting the car.

Engine: You would need new mounts, the ECU, the transmission and linkage, figure out the electronic throttle/drive by wire system and from the looks of it...alot more room. Its not a huge engine bay and fitting the V6 in there would be a REAL squeeze to me.

I third that motion on everything.

The one I drove was the sport-tronic or whatever Mazda calls that evil auto-tranny.

Over-all I liked the car. Almost walked out with one.

Thanks a bunch guys. The feedback has been very helpful!!

(2thumbs)

About the V6, I dont think that you would be happy with the transplant unless you could put money into redoing the suspension, possibly putting the battery in the trunk and so on. The extra weight would give you too much understeer and that would destroy the beauty of Mazdas handling features. I heard that hiboost is going to put out a turbo kit so if you are going to void your warranty you might as well do it with a turbo instead of a new engine and tranny. Just my opinion but it would be cool though. It would be like the Focus at SEMA that had a Mustang V8, that car would be crazy to drive.:D

since the MAzdaspeed 6 is a turbo'd 4 at 276 hp...... you don't need no stinking v6

It's going to be interesting to see the turbo kits on the 4 cyl 2.3's

yeah, tell me about it. I won't be trading my MSP for a 3. But if they do come out with a Turbo'd 3 with ~200-220hp, better wheels, stereo and such, and still keep the price reasonable ( doubt it since the car is already $$$) then the MSP just may be for sale. I've already told the dealer to keep me informed if they hear of anything. Otherwise, I'll keep the speed as I don't know if I want anything else from Mazda.....maybe a 6 ( but I hate the stereo in that too )

Back