323 GTX, MP3/P5 hybrid?...

AWDnerd

Just wondering if any of you have considered plugging a B6T (1.6l DOHC turbo) from the '88-'89 323 GTX (the AWD Turbo one:)) into a P5/MP3? You can find low-mileage used engines for about $700 complete from importers. The BPT (180hp 1.8l turbo) is also a tempting option:D I thought I heard somewhere that the current Protege engine mounting is merely an evolution from the original 323 platform.

Taking that even further: i wonder how the AWD transaxle/rear diff. from a GTX would fit in the chassis of a P5/MP3?...

A few guys on here have thought about it, but they gave up the thought due to it being a true waste of money. It would cost quite a bit to develop the mounts and retro-fit the drivetrain into the BJ chassis. You'd also probably lose any civility your MP3 or P5 might have. Just my thoughts.

A few guys on here have thought about it, but they gave up the thought due to it being a true waste of money. It would cost quite a bit to develop the mounts and retro-fit the drivetrain into the BJ chassis. You'd also probably lose any civility your MP3 or P5 might have. Just my thoughts.

I agree...............

Better off just turbocharging the fs motor

Think of it this way....the entire rear subframe would have to be changed to the 323gtx or the 626AWD to make the swap possible, plus it's not a bolt in item. Next you would have to pop the whole engine and tranny because the FE trans will not bolt to the FS block nor does it match the mounts. So you're looking at an enitre engine, a new rear subframe, a new tranny, plus half-shafts and drive shafts, which we dont have clearance for the drive shaft either. Basicly you'd need to build a tube frame set in the gtx drivetrain and set an mp3/p5 body on the tube frame. Not my idea of fun....but if you like that kind of involvement go for it. There's an entire set for sale on ebay...trans is diff is $200, trans is $700, and I can't remember the enigne price.

Think of it this way....the entire rear subframe would have to be changed to the 323gtx or the 626AWD to make the swap possible, plus it's not a bolt in item. Next you would have to pop the whole engine and tranny because the FE trans will not bolt to the FS block nor does it match the mounts. So you're looking at an enitre engine, a new rear subframe, a new tranny, plus half-shafts and drive shafts, which we dont have clearance for the drive shaft either. Basicly you'd need to build a tube frame set in the gtx drivetrain and set an mp3/p5 body on the tube frame. Not my idea of fun....but if you like that kind of involvement go for it. There's an entire set for sale on ebay...trans is diff is $200, trans is $700, and I can't remember the enigne price.
20ESGUY is right, hell with all that time and money save you self the aggravation and buy an R34 gtr V spec.

:eek:

Back