MZ3 Hatch and PR5

Dynotrick

Софиски&
:
2002 Protege5
a while ago there was a request for pictures of the Mazda3 Hatch and Protege5 next to each other for comparison. I took these and never got around to posting them till now. i think they turned out well. enjoy.

/members/Dynotrick/MZ3/pana0390.jpg

/members/Dynotrick/MZ3/pana0392.jpg

/members/Dynotrick/MZ3/pana0393.jpg

/members/Dynotrick/MZ3/pana0394.jpg

Dealer probably took off the atennae so it won't get stolen.

Man, the P5 looks so small next to the 3.

no it hasn't been put on yet on either car. this was the day we got our 1st Mazda3 about a week ago.

The 3's are definately growing on me...I still don't care for the rear pillar and window on the 3 wagon or whatever they are calling it, though...but there is no arguing that it looks much more like an upmarket car than any protege...

But what the hell is with the trend of companies putting huge emblems on newer cars? The flying M on the back of the 3 is big enough to put that tuna can on the Nissan Sentra SE-R's to shame...

Someone do a custom headlight swap from the 3 to a P5 and let me know how hard it is...I want them....

Last edited:
I love the 3. The odd thing is, I been asked what it is and if it is a Benzor or a honda.

The best part the dealer said I have the only 5-door in Utah. For a little while any way.

I'm happy to have my P5... thanks for the comparison pics, because my P5 looks so much smaller than that huge thing...

well in actually the P5 looks much more sportier than the MZ3... the 3 has yet to grow on me and i dont see it becoming any more eye pleasing ...
i love my p5

I saw the two cars side by side at a dealership last month, and was struck by how much of the styling of the 3 is just an evolution from the P5, and these pics show that, especially for the front end. The rear pillar and the tail light design are the major changes for the 3, but the front end is not so different except for the cross slats on the grill.

I also think the 3 looks smaller in person than it does in pictures. Everybody should go check one out.

What is really distinct about the 3 Hatch is the rear fender flare. If you sit behind one in traffic, the stance is very muscular, ala BMW Z3 coupe.

The 3's porportions are also a bit "thicker" because of the rounded panels.

In all the 3 looks more refined while the P5 looks more youthful.

I love the mazda3's quarter panels, they look like you could set a table on it, but it's just too expensive and luxury car-ish. I'd rather just wait for the new gti to come out than buy an even bigger hatchback than the wagon I have now

Back