focus 2.3 or mazda 2.3

bigd

:
ford focus, and ford aspire
I wondering which engine would be better to mod. I have heard the mazda 2.3 is better because of the vvt. I have also heard that the focus would be better because it doesn't have vvt.
I also was wondering about a comment a member made a while back that the aluiminum block for mz3 would not take good to turboing? Would I have to by extra parts or will superchargering once it comes out would be better? Thanks Big D (wrc)

The 2.3 that comes in the Mazda 3 would be easier to mod because it doesnt come with the PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) hardware, which is possibly the most complicated intake system ever concieved by man.

ZETEC3 said:
The 2.3 that comes in the Mazda 3 would be easier to mod because it doesnt come with the PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) hardware, which is possibly the most complicated intake system ever concieved by man.

Thats a funny as hell first post!

Welcome to the site guys (thumb)

Its the same engine. They may be a little different but overall, they are going to offer similar parts. It is hard to say because the engine is brand new. The concept pictures of the focus is Ugly. Mazda is the way to go.

Turbo 2.3

The aluminum block used in either the 2.3L or 2.0L is pretty stout. I heard that Ed Bergenholtz "Started" to have some block problems as he approached the 1000 hp mark! Talk about some BOOST!

Anyway, stout motor, and it will take boost well, either from a Turbo or a supercharger.

The Focus is LIGTHER.. and has WAY more aftermarket support and not getting gouged dealers that are forced to import parts just for Mazda because the American aftermarket is tell you all that not enough of you are modifying your rides.

That being said, I'm looking at a 3 over a Focus because of the price the Mazda does look better, but weights more.... and will cost more to modify.

I was also thinking about getting an svt focus, but I have been thinking that if i change the shocks, lower the 3, get a intake, and exhuast and it would be good to go, it would be just as good. Does anybody know the highest horsepower that anybody has gotten out of the svt focus without problems? If I got the svt I would probably get the jr supercharger and the head package from focussports once it came out.(wrc)

Last edited:
bigd said:
I was also thinking about getting an svt focus, but I have been thinking that if i change the shocks, lower the 3, get a intake, and exhuast and it would be good to go, it would be just as good. Does anybody know the highest horsepower that anybody has gotten out of the svt focus without problems? If I got the svt I would probably get the jr supercharger and the head package from focussports once it came out.(wrc)
I remember seeing a SVT with supercharger pushing 240 whp, obviously with other mods. You are talking a lot of money for a focus. I dont think its worth it unless you have a lot of extra money sitting around.

Next spring the refreshed 2005 Focus comes out. Instead of the SVT there will be an ST model. The ST will have the SVT suspension but the 150-horse 2.3 for an engine. Not a bad combo, actually, because more torque and more potential upside this way, for I assume much less money.

The new interior doesn't look so good in photos, though. And I don't know whether the seats in the ST will be standard Focus issue or something with better lateral support.

Last edited:
The ST isnt meant to replace the SVT at all, the ST is mean to be a family sedan for people who want a little more performance. And ford isnt completely doing away with the SVT focus they are just revamping everything with it. I have been told that ford will bring it back for 2006 as a turbocharged 2.3L. Also vortech makes a kit for the SVT focus that puts out 270hp and around 210 ft lbs. And turbo tom www.focus-power.com is running around 290 at the wheels with his kit but the only draw back is the tuning has to be done in north carolina at his shop.

Back