Test Drive Honolulu

slipangle

Finally got to test drive the 3 after work today. Drove to the stealership and salesman showed me the different models and options. Think white hatch is the best. It has good contrast with the black trimmings, and makes it look sportier.
Man, this car is SMALL! It's like a Golf, or even Cooper. Looks so small. Don't be mistaking this for a Matrix. Lines are nice, but wheels seem to have too much positive offset. Not too big an issue though. Tested the suspension by pressing, and it wouldn't budge! Seems pretty tight to me. :p
Looked inside, and then sat in the back seat. Warning, the rear seats will not accomodate long legs. The boot is great, with small hooks and hidden compartments. Seats also fold flat, with no step up, which is great.
Finally sat in the driver's seat, and found I couldn't find a totally comfortable position. I'm only 5'7", but the seat seems a little short, and it felt like I sat ON the seat, not IN the seat, if you know what I mean. Not great when pulling some Gs past the cones.
Ok, so then I hit the streets, and find the the clutch too light. Throughout the drive, I coudln't really feel the clutch, and could not heel and toe properly with the brake and gas setup.
THe ride is VERY smooth, like butter for your butt, but understeers badly during slaloms (yes, I tried it on an empty road with the salesman holding on, he must've thought I was crazy):D
Acceleration is decent, but with not much torque at low rpms. Pulls great after that though. Too bad you can't feel it unless looking at the speedometer.

Overall, it's a good car, if it's just transportation you're after. Personally, I can't see myself being in the car day in day out, without modifications. With a firmer suspension, and perhaps polyurethane inserts, it might be better. Something to note is, I test drove the protege5 and 6i not that long ago, and the 3 has softer suspension than the 6, with the p5 being a real driver's car. That car 'communicated' with me. Just wish it came with the 2.3, or a turbo.

BTW, I do not own a protege. Have an old trusty 88 MX6 that's made to oversteer at the limit. Maybe that's why I found the 3 to understeer too easily. Could be tire pressure. Can't really say.

So, what is my next car going to be now?:(

slipangle said:

Finally sat in the driver's seat, and found I couldn't find a totally comfortable position. I'm only 5'7", but the seat seems a little short, and it felt like I sat ON the seat, not IN the seat, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean even though I haven't sat in a Mazda3. Although looking at the interior pics of the seats, they shaped like Ford Focus seats. Meaning, it must feel like the same way. However, Focus' seats are high and that makes it worse especially I don't ever get a comfortable postion with the gas pedal and it feels like I'm only sitting on half of a seat unlike other car seats, I feel snug.

Can you tell me if the Mazda seats feel too high like the Ford Focus?

get the car, come cruise with us. we wanna stare :) - chris

QUIKSILVER.
"Can you tell me if the Mazda seats feel too high like the Ford Focus?"

Can't really answer as it's been ages since I sat in a focus. Don't think it's as high as afocus though, as I didn't really feel like I was being swung around while turningh. Plus you can adjust the seat height. Thing is, I like to use my heel to anchor my foot and give more control over the pedals. Can't seem to do that in this car. Sort of like my friend's Jetta. I felt like I was pressing down on the pedal, not so much pressing forward. I like to feel that the seat is holding me in, and I push forward to the pedals. When I can sit IN the seat, with my tush pushed all the way in, it almost gives me a sense of what the car is doing, how much it's rotating etc. That make sense to you? Maybe I'm just not used to this car yet. Perhaps I will if I get it and drive it a while. who knows?

Back