Navigation System

Eugeosyncline

:
2001 Protege ES
Okay folks, as a point of curiosity, I'm hoping someone out there knows a bit about the optional navigation system for US spec Mazda3's.

I've noted that it's a "DVD Navigation System". So what does that mean, anyway? It means you have to insert a particular city DVD in order to get a map for that city? There's no satellite pinpointing of your position on the map?

If thats the case, you might as well just carry a real map in your car and forgo the cheesy video version of it-- And save a couple thousand dollars in the process. DVD-only based navigation isnt navigation-- Its reference. Its the same thing as opening up a paper map-- Well, it's worse, actually, as you can't open it up to a wide, easily viewable area.

Granted, this is a totally different class of car and Im not trying to compare them, but my folks Lexus LS-430 has REAL navigation; the kind that shows your position on the map in real time.

Does anyone know what the real story is with the MZ3s system?

Thanks for the clarification, all!

dvd based means that all of north america is on one dvd, as opposed to cd based where you need 10 to 13 cd's to carry all the info. it is a 'real' navigation system.

dvd based systems use dvd merely to store all their info. they use gps. dvd nav systems are found in expensive cars :)

I found a car fully loaded with everything EXCEPT Nav... but nav is an option I am strongly considering. I noticed in the brochure that it costs $1500.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this option dealer installed and if so, what was the end cost of adding the nav. How hard would it be to install myself ya think? I'm guessing it would be difficult since it seems like you'd have to cut or replace the center console where the controls are.

Last edited:
Well now.... the dealer told me otherwise. He said it was $2k and dealer installed. I didn't really care for this salesman so this just reaffirms the fact that I will not buy from him if I choose to purchase an Mz3.

I just got back from test driving yet another Mz3 hatch. The sales man got on my bad side right away by saying my MSP was supercharged and that it was slow compaired to the new 3. Also told me that in Europe they supercharge the 2.3 mazda 3 and its getting around 300hp. Then he was b.sing about the navigation system and told me it was 2k option when I know its less, and that they sell a hand held unit and its better and blah blah blah. I was told they were from the factory only. Oh well jut thought I would share

01Se_to_03MSP said:
I just got back from test driving yet another Mz3 hatch. The sales man got on my bad side right away by saying my MSP was supercharged and that it was slow compaired to the new 3. Also told me that in Europe they supercharge the 2.3 mazda 3 and its getting around 300hp. Then he was b.sing about the navigation system and told me it was 2k option when I know its less, and that they sell a hand held unit and its better and blah blah blah. I was told they were from the factory only. Oh well jut thought I would share

Thats funny because insurance & car salesman are the least ethical positions according to surveys. If I was in your postion, I would have let the salesman know how much of a ****** idiot he is and then I would talk to the sales manager. I cant stand cocky sales people who act like they know it all. It makes me want to smack them across the face.

I have the Navigation

Unfortunately my screen doesn't work, but I was able to play with it in a sedan before I left.

It is a great system. The controls are on the right side of the shifter on the central console. The system works pretty good, no one at the dealer knew how to use it, because it couldn't find San Francisco, we found even though the GPS knows and shows where you are, in the setup you have to load the CORRECT STATE.

Then everything worked great, we were sold.

Now we just have to go back on Monday and have them fix the screen. They think that the screen isn't getting power, or that it never was hooked up, since the DVD player works, but when you try to press OPEN it doesn't come up.

Other than that the car is sweet, except the engine is smelling weird, almost like burned plastic. It might just be breaking in, I checked over everything, nothing seemed melted, so maybe it is just the plastic getting hot and gassing out, if it doesn't go away by Monday, then we will have service look at it.

Got it FULLY loaded with the 5 speed with Leather for 21,588 before tax and fees.
My friend is getting a Silver Mazdaspeed tomorrow from the same dealer if they will deal with her and give her a good price...

Re: I have the Navigation

NorCal_MP3 said:
Now we just have to go back on Monday and have them fix the screen. They think that the screen isn't getting power, or that it never was hooked up, since the DVD player works, but when you try to press OPEN it doesn't come up.

Sorry to threadjack, but it plays DVDs, too?

Re: Re: I have the Navigation

IA_Rogue said:
Sorry to threadjack, but it plays DVDs, too?

No, just the SDAL DVDs made by the Navigation Company - NAVTECH.

You void your warranty if you try to put in DVD-R, etc discs.

nav system as an option = $1500
state map from a drug store = $5
directions from a gas station attendant = free

not to flame, really, i just think its excess at its finest.

Captain KRM P5 said:
nav system as an option = $1500
state map from a drug store = $5
directions from a gas station attendant = free

not to flame, really, i just think its excess at its finest.

That's excess at its finest?

Spending like $10,000 on mods on a Protege5 is not excess?

Man talk about warped sense of perspective.

But whatever...Mazda must just be targeting all those people who live in excess...well that would be pretty much anyone who drives anything more than a Hyundai Accent, since it essentially is all most people need to get to there $5 haircuts and $7 lattes. Right?

This thread has gotten weird.

First of all, I am not bitter, my wife and I chose it for the times we are out an about. The Nav system isn't just a map, it also tells you where Points of Interest are, Resturaunts, Landmarks, etc.

So since we drive up and down the coast from LA to Oregon to visit friends, it would be nice to know where the closest Italian resturatant is (yes they are broken up by subcategories as well).

Now that is a luxury, but when you spend $20000 on a car that is really nice and the option is there, and believe me, we discussed if it was worth it, we figured, hey we are in San Francisco ALL THE TIME, and the streets are always crazy, and the system would be great.

This thread started by asking questions about the system, but somehow has ended with morons attacking those who choose to purchase it.

ANYTIME you add ANYTHING to a car besides gas and oil and maintenance, it is excess, but we do it because we can...that's why we live in america and not IRAQ, right?

Anyway, back to the normally posted threads...hopefully.

Back