Rotary Hell - 2nd Gen 9k Engine Failure Video..

DeanSweet

Kraken=Gamertag
Contributor
Sorry if this has been posted before but this is just stupid sad to me.
Guy has a 2nd Gen white convertible RX7 and apparently has been diagnosed with blown rotor? Video is 10 minutes long.
Rotary Hell?

:wtf:

double post

but video is kinda funny to watch. but those guys are dumber than a sack of doorknobs...

Double post from yesterday....

Why is it sad? The motor is garbage once it blows an apex seal and chews up the rotor housing. They would have to pull it out out anyway. Why not have a little fun with it :)

I don't care if they blow the engine? It's their loss? Not really my point, my point was to take a nice car that may have had a blown seal? Wouldn't it make sense to pull the engine and consider rebuilding it rather than trust an external diagnosis? How much is a replacement engine? Would you really replace your engine w/o doing a spec check on the donor engine? I don't known how strong the cases are in the rotary engine but I know they have allot of reciprocating mass inside and having yourself anywhere close to it when it comes undone at 9k rpm's is just crazy stupid. The exhaust catching on fire was just icing on the cake, could of burnt his car, the car next to it and his house on fire... that's the stupid sad part to me. Oh well...

I agree that it was pretty stupid to do this because of the safety issues. The rotor housings are fairly strong, but could blow apart under high stress like that one was subjected to. As for the rotary engine, there is very little success with a rebuild. The entire rotor housing usually needs to be replaced, since the tolerences are very specific. It's fairly easy to detect a blown apex seal externally with a compression test. Rotary engines need a special compression tester unless you make your own.

As for replacements, RX-7s are like Legos. Most of the engines/trannys are totally interchangable with the proper ECU and wiring harnesses. A new motor will run between $2000-10,000 depending how you want it built. A decent remanufactured rotary for their application would run about $3000-4000. Usually a donor car works better if you want to be cost effective.

My 13B street port that I had in my '82 ran about $5000. And when the apex seal went up in my '91 I sold it.

Wow, those guys are pretty stupid. Although, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing when I was a teenager.

:)

Heh i love that video. I always wondered what would happen. I woulda revved it higher though ;x. the guy posted on rx7club about why he did it. it was only running on 1 rotor or something i think, or one rotor was about to go.

~brian

Check around you should be able to find one in someone yard , i just got a pretty nice one for $350.00 with side draft crab and a header's.

Last edited:
can you get pretty decent power form a carbbed NA rotary?? What kind of numbers are we talking about and how much would you think it would cost to build one up right? I've got a turbo pinto that is itching for a custom motor swap. (was going to be the 24V SHO, but size is an issue).

FC3s Boy said:
Check around you should be able to find one in someone yard , i just got a pretty nice one for $350.00 with side draft carb and a header's.

Turbo Matty P said:
can you get pretty decent power form a carbbed NA rotary?? What kind of numbers are we talking about and how much would you think it would cost to build one up right? I've got a turbo pinto that is itching for a custom motor swap. (was going to be the 24V SHO, but size is an issue).
A street ported carb N/A 13b can put out about 175-200 hp, I would go with a turbo 13b motor for your pinto the motors go for $850.00 the tranny go for $300.00 and a custom wiring harness is $850.00 (or use a mircotech). The turbo Motors can make 300-350 with some bolt on's. give me a call if you want to chat some more. chris @ SPD Racing 760-787-5759

Turbo Matty P said:
dude, I'm in!! do you have any of these?!!!
I have the turbo II motor here at the shop , you would also need to get a ecu and harness off the rx7club.com .

Dumb for what? It needed to be rebuilt plus they are supposely known to take the rotaries out and put in other engines.

Thought it was a good video and something to do with you have the money and don't really care about the engine. Showed just how well the rotary held up. Just think if it better cooling and such.
The mufflers system was melting before the car finally died!

Anyways it was a fun thing to do.

Last edited:
Back