New, potential Mazda3 buyer

AVE_ENG

:
'00 Jetta TDI; '01 Golf 1.8T GLS
Hi All, I just found this place...looks like the right place for good Mazda info.

I tested the Mazda3 last week and was thoroughly impressed with it for value under $22K. I was a devout VW fan, but am considering selling my Golf and going with something a bit more affordable for a few years until family needs will require something bigger.

A few months back I tested a Mazda6, and a little before that, an MP5. So Mazda keeps me coming back, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger (gotta sell a car first).

A few things I wish the 3 had are: heated seats option especially with leather, traction/stability control, climate control option. I can understand that the market segment it is competing with doesn't demand these things, and we're still supposed to think "econobox" when looking at it. I beg to differ, since it seems obvious to me that they're targetting VWs market for those who want a "European" car in North America. Then again, VWs are really just expensive econoboxes anyway.

Anyone know if the Mazda3 will have more options or features as the brand matures...say over the next year?

If you had the choice between a Mazda3 GT (2.3L) and a brand new 2003 MP5 that was available for ~$3000 less, what would you do?:D

w/ all the rebates on the p5's dealerships are practically giving them away so i would get a p5 and use the money you saved to add all the extras to the p5

I'm sure they'll add stuff over the years....which ones? I have no idea though.

My opinion on your car choice is simple. Although the P5 is a nice car, you want the refinement and European feeling of the 3. Especially since you are used to a VW.

I would say go with the 3, eventhough there are some good deals on the P5 it's an old discontinued model (not knocking it or anything).

Also, you can bet they will add new features to the 3, but it's anyones guess what they will be, except the next batch will have side airbags standard (in Canada) as all new 2005 models will have to have them by law. I never understood why you don't get heated seats when you get the leather option, I know it's a price thing but Hyundai gives it to their Elantra with leather option and that car is by no means an expensive car (I think it's actually less then a 3).

I pretty much going through the same thing as you but after serious thoughts about the P5 and Mz3 Sports GT, I would go with the 3. With the couple of thousand you are paying extra, you get all these options + luxury features. (Bigger engine, More HP, Nicer all around IMO, better steering response IMO, 17" wheels.... )

Also, even with more HP, it's fuel consumption is still better than P5, thanks to VVT. So in a long run, the saving you get from P5 will reduce by paying for more gas (and we all know gas is not so cheap nowadays).

I would go with the Mz3.

what to buy....

Since you already said you are going to buy something bigger a few years from now due to "family". Save your money for that car and buy the P5 now. I used to have VW's (2 Golfs, 1 Jetta, 1 Fox and 2 Rabbits) and it has been a good replacement (especially in the driving feel). Plus it has "unique styling" that is all on its own. The new 3 is a Pontiac Vibe lookalike, although a great car and will sell well. There are less of the P5 on the road and will remain "unique" and not see yourself coming and going with every other 3 and Vibe that passes by.

the 3 looks like a Pontiac Vibe ????? :bs: Again a Protege owner dissing the 3. :rolleyes: . Both cars are great but a Pontiac Vibe? Come on....

Re: what to buy....

taylor5 said:
Since you already said you are going to buy something bigger a few years from now due to "family". Save your money for that car and buy the P5 now. I used to have VW's (2 Golfs, 1 Jetta, 1 Fox and 2 Rabbits) and it has been a good replacement (especially in the driving feel). Plus it has "unique styling" that is all on its own. The new 3 is a Pontiac Vibe lookalike, although a great car and will sell well. There are less of the P5 on the road and will remain "unique" and not see yourself coming and going with every other 3 and Vibe that passes by.
Sorry....I must be reading this wrong....but the P5 is RARE!?

Maybe where I live in a weird part of the world then; because at every stoplight, 1 out of 10 cars is either a Protege or a P5.

Re: Re: what to buy....

Levitron said:
Sorry....I must be reading this wrong....but the P5 is RARE!?

Maybe where I live in a weird part of the world then; because at every stoplight, 1 out of 10 cars is either a Protege or a P5.

Same here....I guess it's it's a Canadian thing eh? ;)

It might be hard to do it since the car just came, but maybe one of you 3 owners should consider doing a Pros & Cons thread like the one for the MSP in my sig. I'm sure it would be very beneficial since the 3 is new & there will be so many people considering them like AVE_ENG.

I like the P5, but I haven't fallen for it. The Mazda3 is a car I could and did instantly like when I first saw it. I definitely don't see Pontiac Vibe. Maybe a smaller version of the Jetta, but not Vibe.

I just can't decide if the P5 is a good looking car for my taste. Something about it just doesn't click with me. The 3 clicked large, especially having driven it. If I never saw the 3 than I wouldn't hesistate on the P5.

The P5 is a good looking ride, but I'm really impressed by the #s of the 2.3L engine & the comments about the quality of the 3. I'd get the 3 (just don't get yellow)!

Well, IMHO, you'll get killed w/ the price tag of a new 3. Just look at the MSP owners like myself....your gonna pay a hefty premium for the "newer, hotter" model. I bought my MSP for $20K (w/ college grad rebate), now they sell for $16,5 new. It all depends on how deep your pockets are, and if your willing to spend the extra dough for the newer spec. The P5 is a great car, although I don't know what trim comparisons you're looking at between the 2. Just be ready to drop more than you need to, as it's fresh from the factory.

Or if you can wait a bit, and want the euro refinement, the Audi A3 is coming soon, and that is very tight, w/ quattro and I'm guessing the 1.8T. If you haven't seen it, it's a compact wagon w/ the A4 styling....very nice. Pick up a Jan. Road & Track, and look towards the end of the Tokyo Auto show review...it's sweet.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: what to buy....

M3-GT said:
Same here....I guess it's it's a Canadian thing eh? ;)

It's got to be a Canadian thing. :rolleyes:

But then I can see the same thing is going to happen with 3 in a few years time. :)

Well, I believe it depends on what you really wanted to accomplish, to save $, P5 no doubt, but whether you think the extra goodie worht the $$ spend on the 3... it's personal call.

Vibe?????

Whoaaa,

Some of you are quite touchy ehhh???

When I said it looks like the Vibe, I meant the hatch/wagon not the sedan which does look like the Jetta. I am not the only one on the website that thinks it looks like the Vibe either...Just look at that side profile especially the rear side window design and the quarter panels....they are the exact same including the sloping roofline!..

As far as the uniqueness and rarity, think about it.....

(Except in Canada where it was sold for way longer), the P5 here in the States was only sold from around May 2001 to December 2003. That is only a sales lifespan of 2 1/2 years! Most cars including the Vibe and New 3 will be sold in their current iteration for atleast 4-5 years therefore far outnumbering the number of P5 models on the road.

traction/stability control, climate control and HID is available as an option in JDM model. Prehaps they will bring it over to NA sometimes in the future.

Re: Vibe?????

taylor5 said:
Whoaaa,

Some of you are quite touchy ehhh???

When I said it looks like the Vibe, I meant the hatch/wagon not the sedan which does look like the Jetta. I am not the only one on the website that thinks it looks like the Vibe either...Just look at that side profile especially the rear side window design and the quarter panels....they are the exact same including the sloping roofline!..

I totally agree, the Mazda dealership near me is also a pontiac dealership and I saw the hatch side by side and they are very similar. Especially the side rear window and hatch. The Mz3 is much better looking and manufactured car. (even though they look similar)

Re: Vibe?????

taylor5 said:
(Except in Canada where it was sold for way longer), the P5 here in the States was only sold from around May 2001 to December 2003. That is only a sales lifespan of 2 1/2 years! Most cars including the Vibe and New 3 will be sold in their current iteration for atleast 4-5 years therefore far outnumbering the number of P5 models on the road.

The P5's lifespan in Canada is the same as the US (the periodyou listed). It's overseas where the Familia wagon was available right from the beginning of the third generation Familia (Pro in N. America).

Latest posts

Back