200 hp? questions

drifter

read one of the post about how to get our mp3s up to two hundred plus hp, but there was one I remember which didn't involve a turbo, like many other of the members here I am interested in more power for my mp3, preferably without having to resort to a turbo. anyone got any suggestions, or technical data about this method involving cams, ecu, etc.

You will spend MUCH more money making it to 200hp without using a turbo. Just get a turbo,....all the cool kids are doing it.

big_ben said:
You will spend MUCH more money making it to 200hp without using a turbo. Just get a turbo,....all the cool kids are doing it.

haha that's a good one. :D

To give him a more optimistic awancer how about this...
-Intake camshaft
-Exaust camshaft
-higher compression piston set
-headers with cat removed
-less restrictive muffler
-modify an CAI and remove your front left fog light for a true ram air set up (supprised nobody has done this yet)
-tweak your timeing up some (not to much because of the higher compression pistons)
-port and polish head

I think if you did all this, and did most of the install yourself, you would only spend around 3-4k? (total ball park figure) And that would put you around 190 200 at the crank? I dunno, I personaly think it can be done. How do you think those race MP3's get like 250 Hp?
:D

Last edited:
Don't forget about all the time and money being dumped trying the properly tune the motor after all the naturally aspirated work. Even with all the motor work your car will most likely run like utter crap, because the motor's volumetric effeciency was so radically changed, none of the original fuel or ignition maps will work, so you will have serious tuning issues and probably supply/injection issues. Those could be solved by probably 2-3 iterations of having the ECU reprogramed, pehaps piggyback computers (alphabet soup, as I have heard it called (ie. SAFC, AIC, BTM, etc.)), or a stand alone engine management system. Regardless of the route you are looking at more $$$$$$$ on top of new fuel pump, and FPR (for high fuel pressure) or larger injectors. So figure another $1,000-$2,000 to control the motor, depending on the path you chose, and that assuming you do all the work yourself.

Bottom line is, building a 200hp naturally aspirated is much more expensive, and the sacrifice in drivability is much more severe than a mild boost turbo system.

Enjoy,

311Mazda said:

To give him a more optimistic awancer how about this...
-Intake camshaft
-Exaust camshaft
-higher compression piston set
-headers with cat removed
-less restrictive muffler
-modify an CAI and remove your front left fog light for a true ram air set up (supprised nobody has done this yet)
-tweak your timeing up some (not to much because of the higher compression pistons)
-port and polish head

That's right, for a 200hp N/A, you will have to sacrifice on the street drivability.

With my turbo setup, I still have the originals injectors with 2 extras for the boost. So, on a regular drive to work, I don't use use to much the boost and the car is realy runing fine, a bit better than a stock one because of less intake and exhaust restriction. :)

When I use the boost.....:D the power feel so great!!!

I don't think you can have this kind of flexibility with a 200hp n/a.... maybe.... with a RSX type S.... which I test drive but it is not powerfull like my turbo MP3!!! ;)

I think if you did all this, and did most of the install yourself, you would only spend around 3-4k? (total ball park figure)

So figure another $1,000-$2,000 to control the motor, depending on the path you chose, and that assuming you do all the work yourself.

After reading both of those you may as well go with a turbo. I agree with everyone who replied to this post. Street driveablity, reliabilty, emmissions leaglity, and other "ty" word you want to add.

You can get a turbo set up with all the air/fuel regulators for $4-$5K.

Besides, who doesn't love that sound of a spooled up turbo?

Back