Immobilizer vs Alarms

p5 Girl

I know that immobilizers are supposed to be better.. but do they deter theives in the first place as well?
Also, are there different kinds of immobilizers you can get.. what is the best bet?

**a question for a western canadian**.. i know you can get insurance rebates from ICBC from having an immobilizer.. anyone have details on this?

any help for my technology - disabled self would be appreciated ;)

actually I am of the belief that a combination of the two are the best.....for starters....with most alarm systems there is a flashing LED that ONE lets a their that looks into the car that there is a system on it.....if they are determined to take YOUR car...then they probalby will...other wise there are plenty of cars out there that do not have alarms on them....TWO....unless they are the type of theives that are using a flat bed truck to haul your ride off, the immoblilzer is a good bet cause they won't get far....THREE....neither does much if its a grab and run situation, if the theif is just wanting to bust out a window and grab your stereo or something else that they see laying around in your ride, its as good as gone. .....

just food for thought. :{D

Get both in one package like I did. A Clifford Millennia or the Avant Guard 4, the same as the Millenia, but with remote start.

perfect .. thanks :)

I'm kind of sad to give up my position as the SOUL p5 driver in my town.. not to mention the fact that if anyone ever stole it it wouldn't get very far!

What kind of cost am I looking at for a combo alarm/immobilizer deal anyways???

The Clifford Millennia is a little pricey @ around $500 installed, but I personally think its worth it (both cars have it). Plus you get some nice features.

-NightVision headlight automation
-built in two point AutoImmobilizer
-remote controlled valet
-front window autoclose upon remote arming
-BlackJax anti-carjacking/self recovery system

plus a lot more i vant think of.

The AvantGuard4 is the same with remote start and a $150 price increase.

Keep in mind that those prices are american I believe as well. Clifford makes good stuff but pricey.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are getting an immobilizer is that if having command start is of interest to you, then you are outta luck....can't have both.

Living in a cold area, having that sorta feature is very nice....I'm planning on buying a paging alarm/starter combo. What I really like about those is that it relays back to you when your car starts so you can be sure there were no issues when farther away from your vehicle.

Manitoba offers the same rebate of about 100 bux I think...but for me having a warm car in the dead of winter is worth it. :)

all of this is very true, and I agree with everyone. BUT . . . . . . if a thief gets into your car, and cannot drive it off, because of the immobilizer, they will most likely tear your car up. I have had heard many stories form friends that there car was broken into and the interior, windows, and paint were all destroyed. If a thief can't take it, then they will make sure that you can't either. now this also depends on where you live, but it is still a thought to keep in consideration.

I agree you need something to make a theif run off once the alarm sounds typicaly the alarm can't do it alone. location of the car when parking is key.

passive vs. active

does anyone have any advice on whether its worth it to go for the passive immobilizer over the active.. or does that just depend on how forgetful you think you'll be..
also, anyone had positive/negative experiences w/clarion alarm systems??

you need a self destruct on your car.. screw the imobilizer/alarms, if someone breaks into your car you need to take out 3 city blocks with nuclear payload!!

pr5owner said:
you need a self destruct on your car.. screw the imobilizer/alarms, if someone breaks into your car you need to take out 3 city blocks with nuclear payload!!

well....I believe that is just a TAD overkill...don't you? geeeez a half brick of C-4 will be MORE than enough! lol

Back