Timing retarding with Superchip

Stou what is the deal on this? Does it work with proteges? The website does not list the car. Is this actually a chip or timing control unit? If it does do you know how much it costs?

Spoolin, I didn't get one yet but you can get some info on this web page: Sperchips ICON

There's one guy in our Protege club who installed one on is P5. He bought this ICON in order to advance is timing. The ICON is a kind of universal controler that is base on your type of ignition system instead of the car model. There's 4 models available.

The price is around $355 for the controller and $90 for the software and the cable . Performance Ford - Icon Race info

What was the feedback from your friend with the chip? Does he like it? Does he feel any differance? Just wondering!

It's not realy a friend. It's a guy from 'Club Proteg Quebec'. I don't realy know him. I talked to him once and he said that the car as a better throttle response and rev a bit higher. He advanced his timing and run his car on 92 and higher octane gaz.

I think that his P5 probably run like an MP3. On MP3 we have advance timing.

My interest in the Superchip Icon Race is in the fact that we can use it to retard the timing. For a turbo application, it's interesting since our MP3 has an advanced timing.

hey stou how is ya turbo running?...i am about to call them up to set everything up for me to get it installed cause i am about $500 left of being ready for install...just wanna make sure there are no litle kinks in the system...

OK...let's see.

1) Neither website lists the MP5 or MP3 as acceptable models.

2) No one here has any experience with the product. We do have the hearsay evidence of a club member Stou talked to once.

3) One link indicates "Ford". Am I to assume that our ECU is comparable with a specific Ford ECU?

4) Has anyone used any product that does this ECU reprogramming?

5) Please let us know how the product works. I'm interested.

NYCZMP3, my turbo is runing fine. I just got my new feraceramic clutch installed yesterday and it's great!

I'll get some hp, 1/4 mile and others number soon!

That looks like it shoudl work for everyone really. All you turbo guys for retard adn then people who what a little more and then people like me that will need quite a bit more but thats me :D

FYI: Superchips got back to me by email and they said they've stopped supporting imports (except for Mazda B-series trucks and the Tribute) indefinitely and that I should contact their British counterpart.

BTW, I think MP3 should run okay up to about 6psi boost using the current ignition timing. As long as it doesn't detonate, it should be fine, no?

If you read the FAQ at Protegetech.com, apparently, the only way to modify the ignition timing via ECU is to replace the unit entirely. There's Haltech and then there's SDS (http://www.sdsefi.com/). Protege ECU is reported not to work with piggyback systems at full-throttle (WOT), since it's program map overrides the piggyback system in this state.

I run my MP3 at 8 psi whith some spike near 10 psi. I use 94 octane and I don't get any detonation problem.

For now I will keep it at 8 psi. For me it's enough power for an every day use.

dynamho said:
FYI: Superchips got back to me by email and they said they've stopped supporting imports (except for Mazda B-series trucks and the Tribute) indefinitely and that I should contact their British counterpart.

BTW, I think MP3 should run okay up to about 6psi boost using the current ignition timing. As long as it doesn't detonate, it should be fine, no?

If you read the FAQ at Protegetech.com, apparently, the only way to modify the ignition timing via ECU is to replace the unit entirely. There's Haltech and then there's SDS (http://www.sdsefi.com/). Protege ECU is reported not to work with piggyback systems at full-throttle (WOT), since it's program map overrides the piggyback system in this state.

This has been debated continually as no one is for sure on this. Supposedly you can, supposedly you can't. No one knows for sure.

If you do a search you'll find a huge thread about the APEXi S-AFC where this was all hashed through.

http://www.roadsterperformance.com/...RP&Product_Code=RPACUD14A-NA&Category_Code=FI

Check this out... the Bipes ACU. This little doohickey reads RPM, IAT, and CFM and retards timing accordingly. It has worked well on both N/A and F/I applications. Perhaps this community could work out a deal with Bipes auto to modify this to work with the MP3/P5 (if anything even needs to be changed). Group buy anyone? ;)

Edit:
Another possibility is to ask Bipes/Roadster Performance to grant someone with an MP3/P5 permission to modify the circuit to work with our cars. Below are the links to technical data on how the ACU reads the MAS. I don't know what the voltages are on the Protege MAS, but I'm sure this can be achieved.

Bipes ACU / MAS Reading

Last edited:
wont work for our car. Works with the m1 miata. We have coils and a distributorless ignition. The bipes modifies ignition through the crank angle sensor. Only way we can modify timing is thru the coils.

Only thing that will work as we know is the link and J&S.

spoolinmp3 said:

Only thing that will work as we know is the link and J&S.

Spoolinmp3,
Cool turbo setup you got there. BTW, what's "the link and J&S"?
Excuse my ignorance.

Stou said:
StuttersC, you're right about thread about the Apexi S-AFC but I remember that the S-AFC not realy work for our car. Look on this thread:

Using an apex AFC for fuel under boost

The S-AFC does not work at WOT.

If memory serves me correctly, the S-AFC will only work at wide open throttle because it is running in open loop. It will not work in closed loop, or partial throttle. Open loop is where the Protege needs help anyway as it starts to run really rich after 3500 rpm going up at WOT.

However, I think I remember seeing that the S-AFC likes 0-5 volts for measuring and our MAF reads 5 volts and up, or something like that. That is why it might not work. Voltage issues.

The other issue at hand is whether the stock ECU will simply compensate for what the AFC is sending and run stock anyway. No one knows for sure.

But like I say, no one has really put one on and tried to get it to work.

i don't understand why the AFC wouldn't work in either condition.

Especially considering that most cars the AFC runs on have ECUs that function in both open/closed loop.

In open loop, the AFC would alter sensor voltages, thus fooling the ECU into providing/leaning out fuel.

In closed loop, the AFC would simply monitor injecot voltages to add/remove fuel.

Right?

Whats the big deal?

ps. on this board i understand the consensus to be open loop is the ECU using sensor and closed loop running off a single map.
on the i-club it is understood to be the other way. could anyone clarify for me?

Back