FE3 Turbo Swap?

MP3-Owner

Contributor
:
2001 Laser Blue MP3
What do you guys think about an FE3 turbo swap into my MP3? Jay B who did the FE3 swap into his Miata is thinking about doing one into my MP3. I have been talking to him on the phone and he thinks that he can swap the FE3 motor and tranny into my car. With some modifications to the mounts of course.
He thought about using my stock tranny but the tranny mounts are no where near where they should be, so the FE3 one would have to be used.
I am just wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts on this, or possible problems that may come up?
I am trying to learn as I go, so right now I don't know much :(

Last edited:
Well I'm glad to see you so excited about this but the only reason I am not too exited is because I am trying to do this on a $5,000 budget or less. I am thinking the whole nine yards...FE3, Turbo, LSD, Heavy duty clutch, lightwiegth flywheel, maybe even some poly motor mounts and B+M shifter. I would also have to change my 2.25 Bosal down the road.
Does the FE3 tranny have LSD, Heavy duty clutch? If so then I might be able to use the used ones. Hmm...

I think people have spent more than that on their turbo projects without the engine swap.

But that is for a motor that is brand new and doesn't have any after market support for it. The FE3 is an older motor that had an option of being turbo so there should be more parts out thier for it. I have not researched this yet but I will.

I was gonna put a link to the protegeclub site's discussion on the matter, but I see that you already have been there.

The FE3 is a variant of the F motor used in the 1st gen probe GT/MX-6 turbo but it is alot stronger and can support 500+ hp on stock internals. It didn't have a LSD and I don't know about the clutch. The only car that came to the US with an FE3 is the Kia Sportage. I know sounds weird but they sport a NA version of the FE3 that has the same internals as the turbo FE3 just a9.5{:1 compression. Ralliest use this engine as you can pull more power out of it wihtout problems.

You can read about the FE3 here... http://members.aol.com/solomiata/FE3.html
I really would like to do this but it would take alot of time and most likely alot of money. Still thinking... I took my old motor apart today and it looks pretty good except for the one piston wall. I should be able to get by with either a +20 over or +40 over bore. I would like to have the pistons, rods, and cranck forged if I do decide to rebuild the old motor. That way I could put a killer turbo on later. Hmm.....This is my chance to put what I want in this car, just not sure what that is yet. Pretty sure I want turbo but would I be better off trailoring my baby to Orlando for who knows how long for a swap that might work, OR fixing what I have infront of me(Old Motor) and building it to handle a turbo good for around 300hp and doing all the work myself, learning as I go?
What about Jay B? Has anyone heard or met him and does he do pretty good work? I am not too sure about letting my car go. Maybe... Still thinking... :)

Last edited:
Just take your block bore it .020 over on every cylinder get forged rods and pistons (bout $1000) and you will be good for 400hp our crank is already forged from the factory man it is good for 400 hp as it is. If you want to push more on it though get is knifeedged balanced adn shotpeened then it should be good for 600 hp. Bryan Pendlton left his work order number on here somewhere for his rods and pistons just order those and ask for the pistons to be made 20 over.

Just take your block bore it .020 over on every cylinder get forged rods and pistons (bout $1000) and you will be good for 400hp our crank is already forged from the factory man it is good for 400 hp as it is. If you want to push more on it though get is knifeedged balanced adn shotpeened then it should be good for 600 hp. Bryan Pendlton left his work order number on here somewhere for his rods and pistons just order those and ask for the pistons to be made 20 over.

I agree with CH on this. Engine and tranny transplants are a big deal especially, that you are entering the realm of the unknown. To do a b18c5 swap into a civic is fairly easy and done many times, but why dont you turn your motor into a fire breathing turbo charged beast?

Here are some options to ponder.
Turbo kit
TecII
Stock internals will get you about 230-250 whp at 10psi

or

Fully built motor like CHstated
fmu
fuel pump
injector controller or some type of
sytem to control timing and add fuel.
you will get like 300 or more whp at 18psi

or